Options

I don't understand my Cashflow Report

nanosnanos Member Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm trying to improve my understanding of my cashflow report in my personal accounts. It currently looks roughly as follows (obviously abbreviated to focus on what I don't understand):

Operating Activities

Sales
Income £20,000
Interest £700
Purchases
Transfer for Credit Card A -£5,000
Transfer for Credit Card B -£1,00
Groceriers -£1,800
Clothes -£200
Other
Transfer for Account A £20,000
Transfer for Aaccount B £500

Financing Activities

Loans and Lines of Credit
Transfer for Mortgage -£4,000
Transfer for Mortgage £0
Owners and Shareholders
Owner Investment / Drawings £20
Owner Investment / Drawings -£300

I have a couple of questions for that:

1) Why are my credit card transfers listed with the purchases, and my current/checking account transfers as "Other"? That skews my total for purchases significantly.

2) Why do I have two lines each for "Transfer to Mortgage" and Owner "Investment / Drawings"? When I click on them I get exactly the same list of transactions, yet they seem to show different totals here

edited May 8, 2019 in Accounting Feature Ideas

Comments

• Options

Is there really noone who can explain this to me? :(

• Options
    JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @nanos! Sounds like another user has a similar question to you in this thread here: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/comment/15374#Comment_15374

I'd first take a look at what @JamieD has mentioned there as I think it is relevant to the issue that you are having and will likely provide some insight! We definitely want to help get you an answer (whether it be from a Wave Support Team member or from fellow Wavers, so if the post doesn't resolve the issue, please let us know which part still requires some clarity and we will be happy to help!

• Options

Thanks @JordanFromWave. Unfortunately I don't think this has any relevance to what I've posted at all.

• Options

@nanos Apologies for not being as clear as I could have been. When I was referring to Jamie's post, I was referring specifically to:

@JamieD said:
    Simply put -- the cashflow report will show money that is flowing into and out of specific accounts in Wave (a regular transaction would display on the cash flow report because of this).

Transfers to another account would likely count as an expense to the account where the funds are moving out from.

In terms of the two lines for the Owner Investment/Drawings, within Wave, when you categorize transactions for a Drawing or an investment, the category is combined. It is my understanding that the two lines (while called the signs) represent the amounts split by drawing in one line, and the other line for investment.

In saying that, the reports in Wave are not easily distinguished by just looking at the report itself. They are typically built off of the transactions that you are entering into Wave so without and look at the actual information entered, I'm not sure that I can answer confidently. If you are open to me taking a closer look within your account, let me know and I can send you an email and go from there.

• Options

Thanks again, @JordanFromWave.

@JordanFromWave said:
    Transfers to another account would likely count as an expense to the account where the funds are moving out from.

I get that. But I still don't see how that explains that some transfers are classed as "Purchases" and others as "Other".

@JordanFromWave said:
    In terms of the two lines for the Owner Investment/Drawings, within Wave, when you categorize transactions for a Drawing or an investment, the category is combined. It is my understanding that the two lines (while called the signs) represent the amounts split by drawing in one line, and the other line for investment.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this. But wouldn't the amounts then be the same on both lines, just the one being positive, and the other negative?

@JordanFromWave said:
    If you are open to me taking a closer look within your account, let me know and I can send you an email and go from there.

Yes please. I'd be happy to finally understand this report better.

edited May 29, 2019
  • Options

Hey @nanos If you can send me a DM with the best email address to reach you at, I'll be happy to follow up!