How to edit your receipt scanning preferences

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to edit your receipt scanning preferences

Choose whether you’d like to automatically scan receipt images using Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology or enter receipt details manually.

Switch between manual and automatic receipt u...

Read the full story here

edited May 18, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• cjbirch80cjbirch80 Member Posts: 4
    When can we choose for it to try to recognize taxes or subtotal? Or can we zone teach it where to look. For next time! My default account is chequing but the phone app doesnt default... can you do that as an option for us?. You have to manually change it and it would save one clic.
  • SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @cjbirch80 - good suggestions! I don't have an ETA for this sort of update unfortunately. Would being able to set up taxes by customer/vendor region be helpful in this case? For instance, when generating a customer or vendor, you could assign a specific regional tax to them so that it is applied for you when you upload a receipt and apply that vendor to it? I think given the number of regions we operate in, it's unlikely we would be able to build an automatic region detection platform without a comprehensive tax database. We are working towards greater automation however to streamline your processes!

• cjbirch80cjbirch80 Member Posts: 4

i think the best thing to do is have option selectors that don't open a new window... this slows the whole process. If the options can be selected left/right swipe on area, button to goto next, or a collapsible tree list... itll be better than a new window... this is much faster and eye pleasing. id rather wait the extra second for the app to load the receipt with my personal options then wait while it calls them up in a new window.

the tax one is something... i only have the one tax. but a slider for on/off and the small radio buttons for which tax... instead of a new window.

I'm quite happy regardless and know wave is only going to get better and it's good already.

ive mentioned elsewhere sorting by dollar value in the transaction field in accounting end would help find duplicates/merge items. i have problems with this as dates are sometimes far apart eg: billing vs x-action date so without an identical word you can search.. youre left in the cold making matches. so cold. hahaha

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Thank you @cjbirch80! This is great feedback :) Hopefully we can warm up transaction sorting as well!

• David212David212 Member Posts: 2
    Are there any plans to create a receipt reimbursement workflow for invoices? I.e uploading receipts to the system and then applying the expense to an invoice and appending the receipt? I have many contracts with clients where I make purchases on behalf of the client and bill it back but am required to provide an invoice and receipts. I imagine others would benefit from a workflow option like this.
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @David212 . We have no plans for this at the moment, but this is definitely an interesting request that I haven't seen before. How do you handle this at the moment without this function available to you?

• David212David212 Member Posts: 2

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for the response. The current steps I follow are a bit clunky and covers accounting for the expense separate from add it to an invoice for reimbursement.

A: Document the expenses for accounting purposes:
    1. Scan in the receipts using the WaveApp receipts function
    2. Categorize / apply to the proper account or transaction record

Then:

B: Document expenses for Reimbursement Purposes:
    1. Scan in receipts using my phone or computer
    2. Compile receipts into a single PDF
    3. Copy the reimbursable amounts of each receipt as new items in a new invoice to the client
    4. Download the invoice as a PDF
    5. Merge the PDFs into on
    6. Email to the client & mark as sent in Wave

If there was an option to "apply to a draft invoice" during the receipt workflow, the item could possibly be added as a line item on the invoice with the option to attach in the final PDF or web versions:

POSSIBLE WORKFLOW:

1. Scan in the receipts using the WaveApp receipts function
    2. Categorize / apply to the proper account or transaction record & optionally apply as a reimburseable expense to a draft invoice
    3. Go to the draft invoice, review the amounts, order the items, & adjust what is reimbursable if needed
    4. Send the Invoice from Waveapps with the option to attach any accompany receipts.
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @David212! Thanks for offering your workflow in such depth, as well as a possible workflow going forwards! This is great context for us to have.

• txsunshine2019txsunshine2019 Member Posts: 1

The process is easy but I'm not an accountant and where can I find an easy definition of the terms used?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @txsunshine2019! Can you let me know what terms you wanted defined? I can try to help as best as possible!

• PamsackPamsack Member Posts: 1

I am confused about the receipt app from Wave. What does it look like?

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Pamsack

You can take a look at our receipts app product page for additional info and where you can find it for download!

https://www.waveapps.com/receipts

Also if you wanted to read more about receipts in Wave check out THIS ARTICLE

• BabeshBabesh Member Posts: 1
    Hello how can I dilate a posted receipt?
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Babesh , I'm not sure that I understand your question. What do you mean by dilate a receipt? Do you mean delete? If so, you can do this by accessing the Receipts page. Keep in mind this doesn't delete the transaction itself which is associated to the accounting as this has to be deleted through the Accounting > Transactions page.

• DawnnaeDawnnae Member Posts: 2

What date will the receipts app no longer be connect to my accounts?

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Dawnnae !

At this time, there isn't a specific date set as to when we will be sunsetting our mobile Receipts application. However, I do know that this will be occurring next month in June. I hope that helps!

• CMSTaxes916CMSTaxes916 Member Posts: 6

I was just perusing through the comments because I use the receipts app all the time and it makes my life a lot easier lol, however did i read the post by @JulianP correctly…? You will be sun setting the receipts app? Why is that? It is so helpful! It’s actually one of the reasons I still use Wave as the accounting software for my clients. I am an accountant and I prefer to use this instead of QuickBooks because A.) QB is extremely confusing to many of my small business or individual clients and B.) the price for QB is just astronomical. With this app, it makes it so much more easy and comprehensive for my clients to upload receipts. I would truly hate to see it go away!!

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @CMSTaxes916 !

To clarify, the decision to sunset our receipts app comes with other changes and updates that we will be launching on Monday, June 14th. You will still be able to upload your receipts but the workflow will be a bit different. If you'd like to learn more about the new receipts update, feel free to click here.

edited June 11, 2021