How to view or edit a bill

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to view or edit a bill

Whether you just need to check some details, or correct an earlier entry, viewing and editing Bills in Wave is easy. Here's how.

Click Purchases on the left side of your screen and select Bills.
F...

Read the full story here

edited May 28, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• philip456philip456 Member Posts: 15
    It's also useful that you can edit a paid or part-paid bill.

I like to be able to run the monthly Profit & Loss report from the begining of the month, with as much expenditure entered as possible.

For this reason, I enter bills where I'm not certain of the amount. For instance, I'll enter a bill for office cleaning at the begining of the month and part-pay it every week, as the cleaning is done and paid for. It's great that at the end of the month, I can edit the bill if the total cleaning hours/expenditure for the month have been greater or less than expected.
    edited May 28, 2019
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @philip456 . Glad to hear that this feature in Wave makes it easier for you to account for outgoing payments!

• faridahfaridah Member Posts: 38

I have a purchase for an asset , unfortunately I cannot choose an asset category in the line item

category can be chosen is expense, long term asset , current asset only

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @faridah. This is a feature that isn't currently available in Wave (categorizing a bill purchase as a fixed asset account that you've created) -- you would need to do this by adding an expense transaction and then associating it with the asset account there. We currently have our development team looking into it, and hoping to have a fix in the near future.

• faridahfaridah Member Posts: 38

Hi Jamie,

ok noted , currently i update as expense transaction if cash /bank transaction

if it is an asset purchase by owner i use the journal transaction

thanks for the update

Regards

• DavidLipschitzDavidLipschitz Member Posts: 2

Any account should be selectable in Invoicing. You can always display a warning if it isn't an expense account in AP Invoicing, for example.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @DavidLipschitz! I totally hear that having all accounts selectable for invoicing and bills would make things simpler. The main thought behind not currently allowing this is to help guide Wavers away from situations that could have negative impacts on their bookkeeping. An example (an I'll admit, may be a farfetched one) would be where you would be able to use Mortgage account for paying bills, which in real life can't typically happen, so we made the decision to add this safeguard to stop the possibility of it.

In saying this, the team here does acknowledge that this can be restricting in some cases, and as @jamied mentioned, they are looking into this and may make changes in the future.

edited June 24, 2019
  • DavidLipschitzDavidLipschitz Member Posts: 2

Thanks Jordan. I appreciate your reply. Sage ERP 300 (Accpac) also started like this. But sometimes it is necessary to do negative CashBookReceipts, and Sage eventually added this "feature." If your system is for entrepreneurs (most of the world's working population within the next 20 years), you need to make it as simple and as flexible as possible. Posting a Capex entry to a Temporary Expense Account and then doing a Journal is really unhelpful, as then the Invoice is in the Temporary Expense Account and the VAT is not linked to the Journal.

• PixlBritePixlBrite Member Posts: 1

Any idea how to actually download a copy of a bill I have entered for my 1099 Contractors? I would like to send them a detailed copy of this after I apply a payment to them.

• NicoletteBNicoletteB Member Posts: 122 ✭✭

@PixlBrite Good q! At this time, we don't offer a customer-facing bill option for your contractors. If you need to provide a copy, either creating an invoice or screenshotting the bill you created would be the best workarounds. Hopefully our Product team can create this functionality somewhere down the road.

• MartaPMartaP Member Posts: 14

Hello, in the upgraded Wave on the report Account Transactions of a bank account I can see only a description: Bill payment. Before the upgrade I could see what invoice the payment related to. It is vital to see more details on the reports! Are you planning to improve it?

• NicoletteBNicoletteB Member Posts: 122 ✭✭

@MartaP This isn't currently on our road map but I will pass this onto our Product team to look into this further. Agree that more details = easier reading of any report!

• KGarKGar Member Posts: 4

When I add a bill it does not show up in the Coming Due under Payable & Owing on my dashboard no matter if it is 1 day or 100 days away from being due. I want to see it before it becomes overdue. Why doesn't it show?

Hi @KGar , your Bill should show as Coming Due under the Bills you owe section. Can you try creating a test Bill that's due in 1 day and letting us know if this still doesn't show up? If it doesn't show up, please send us a screenshot of the details of the Bill as well the Bills you owe section so we can take a further look. Thanks!

@AlexL - it is still not working, where do I sent the screenshot to?

@KGar , you can add it to this thread.

So I entered in three bills - 1 is past due, 1 is due in two days and 1 is due later this month. Only the past due is showing on the Payable & Owing section of the dashboard.

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @KGar !

It seems like your issue may need some more in-depth investigating from our Customer Support Team. Could you please reach out to them via our chatbot, so that a team member is able to assist you. You can do so by clicking the "?" icon seen in the screenshot above, which will send your request to the right place!

edited March 17, 2021
  • CanopyPressCanopyPress Member Posts: 2

Can you allow us to view Bills by due date? The date column references when we created the bill and it's not very helpful to look at the page and not know which bill from the list it due. When you click Dashboard, then view the Payable & Owing section, it shows Coming Due bills. When I click on that it would be so helpful if I could click on the bill and pay it. Instead I have to glance at the page and then noted the Bill and Invoice amount, then go back to the Bills page and find it from that list. The info doesn't really display on the page in a helpful way. It's clunky to figure out what I'm needing to pay.

• Larry_WLarry_W Member Posts: 1

Are we able to add attachments to a bill? Like when we receive an invoice from an independent contractor?

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hi @Larry_W !

It's not currently possible to add attachments to bills I'm afraid. However what you could do, is attach the invoice file to the bill payment transaction, once it has been paid. You can do this by clicking on the transaction, opening the Receipts tab, and uploading the file :smile: