Options

Wave Connect Scheduled Upload/Download

MarshallMarshall Member Posts: 7

I am a big fan of Wave Connect and I like how versatile it can be, simply changing the headers of existing columns and upload.... BOOM!

However I think we're all missing a trick.... Google Scripts is free and can be scheduled to run every hour!!!

Is there a function or command that I can run inside Google Scripts in order to upload my data on an hourly basis?

Something like....
function Wave_Connect('Upload', 'Sheet18', 'Customer'){

}

Comments

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Marshall

I will admit, we don't have a complete understanding of how google scripts back end works in regards to updating their data, but my guess here would be that they aren't provided the insight that our third party bank aggregators have when it comes to seeing what's in your bank account. This is obviously a very secure connection between the bank aggregator and your bank, so my guess here is that there wouldn't be a way to have google scripts scrape that information from your banking website. Again this is something I'm not too sure of, as I'm a bit unclear as to how google scripts works! But if anyone else has some insight please chime in.

• Options
    Adam_BAdam_B Member Posts: 4

I am wondering the same thing...

I mean, Wave Connect is just a script created for Google's library of Add-ons, right? So if the team at Wave doesn't have a problem with it, they can just release the script to us to copy and paste into the script editor so that we can set it on a schedule, no? Alternatively, adding a feature into Wave Connect to set a schedule would be even better but publishing the script would be faster, I think.

Thoughts?

• Options
    xeniumxenium Member Posts: 21
    I agree with Adam_b that releasing access to the wave connect google script could help here.

@Barsin fyi the original question I believe refers to the users own data in google sheets, so there is no need for a bank connection.
  • Options
    @Adam_B I agree that just allowing a schedule on Wave Connect would be a great alternative. I also think releasing the script would allow us to do some even better things!

@xenium that's correct 😆
    edited August 8, 2019
  • Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

@Marshall @xenium @Adam_B

I've passed this thread onto our manager who deals with the Wave connect integration. Thanks so much for the feedback. In full transparency this is a bit over my head but I'll be sure someone responds here regarding whether this would be possible or not.

• Options
    ErikErik Member Posts: 194 admin

@Marshall @xenium @Adam_B

Hello all! Thanks for chiming in and providing some feedback on our Wave Connect integration. It has certainly sparked an interesting conversation amongst the team. A few things here:

• our script is still Wave code, and utilizes internal APIs that are not available for public use. At this time, we are not able to publish our script.
    • we are working on expanding our public API so that interested users such as yourself can read and manipulate Wave data in your own workflows. You can read more about that here: https://developer.waveapps.com/hc/en-us
    • what is the desired outcome for scheduling Wave Connect uploads/downloads? Perhaps there is an available alternative for this outcome. If not, this may be something we can look into in the future.
    edited August 14, 2019
  • Options
    Adam_BAdam_B Member Posts: 4

@Erik said:

• what is the desired outcome for scheduling Wave Connect uploads/downloads? Perhaps there is an available alternative for this outcome. If not, this may be something we can look into in the future.

The desired outcome in my case is to have the data up-to-date for referencing via Google Sheet's IMPORTRANGE function and other third-party integrations for Google Sheet's for better functionality.

I'm sure it may be possible to use the public API to achieve similar results, but I am not a developer so it's a bit over our my head at this time...

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Fair enough @Adam_B and again, we appreciate the feedback that you've provided here. While our API/Integration team continues to look at improving the Wave Connect feature, we will consider what you've mentioned within this discussion. For now, our teams focus lies elsewhere, but when we do have more information to provide we will be sure to let our users know.

• Options
    FeyruneFeyrune Member Posts: 1
    @Erik I like @Marshall original query. I would love to be able to add a Refresh button to my Budget spreadsheet that would run a script to call a function in Wave Connect to re-run the report of Income Statement for Every Week since 1/1/2019 sorted by Newest first.
    I'm not sure of the possibilities with sheets and scripts, I just have some experience in VBA scripts with Excel. I have formulas set up to pull the information from the output of the report, however the data is stale unless I go through the entire menu again and choose all the report parameters in order to run the report and overwrite the previous output.

In addition, I find that there is no way to use the Wave Connect Add-on from my mobile running Android 10. I'm not sure if that's also something that you're working on or not.
  • Options
    I've been watching the roadmap for API Invoicing and can see API Invoicing is still Q1 2019.
  • Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @MarshallFreeman . We'll be working on updating the roadmap in the near future. Keep your eyes peeled for updates!