Options

any way to add a dynamic month field on the invoice for when work was conducted?

rndigitalrndigital Member Posts: 4

I raise an invoice June 1st for payment in 30 days (annoying I cant set to 28) for work done in May. However noweher on the recurring form does it allow that info to be added.

Is there not a field for something like {{last_mm_yyyy}} or {{this_mmm_yyyy}} or {{next_month}} that woud auto populate, so in the above example my line item could be "consultancy services for {{last_month_year}}" returning "consultancy services for 05 2019" or something?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@rndigital It's an interesting idea! While there isn't a field for this information to auto-populate on invoices, you can certainly add it to the 'Notes' section of your invoice. You could also head to Settings > Invoice Customization and create a standard memo which will auto-populate your Notes section when you go to create an Invoice. You can then adjust dates slightly as needed. :)

• Options
    rndigitalrndigital Member Posts: 4

but can I do that automatically or every month do I have to update all the invoices? The point of recurring is that it is automated, and if I have to go and change May to June to July etc that takes away from the usefulness?

• Options
    VuzaneStudioVuzaneStudio Member Posts: 1

I'm also struggling with the same thing. I have recurring invoices for my consulting services that I invoice for the month worked each month end. It would be great to have custom fields/shortcodes we could use that will automatically update and populate as per field instruction, just as you have accurately articulated in your comment above. It would be easier if we didn't have to update current month everytime the invoice is created for that billing month. It seems insignificant but it would add so much value and convenience.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@rndigital You would need to update it since once you add a memo in the notes section it will remain there until it's edited (on a recurring invoice). Again, this could be something that's more customizable in the future as we look into improving our invoicing feature, but we still don't have any immediate plans for this.

Appreciate the feedback and +1 one you've given us here as well @VuzaneStudio. For any feature additions/future plans to improve our invoicing section we will definitely let our users know.

• Options
    OutstaffOutstaff Member Posts: 4
    They have this feature on Kashflow but unfortunetly some months their system doesn't actually send the invoices which is no good. Is there any plan for this in the future as we need it as well.
  • Options
    OutstaffOutstaff Member Posts: 4
    JavaScript getMonth() Method?
  • Options
    olmoolmo Member Posts: 2

I'm currently trying to do the same thing. it's a pity it does not work out of the box. I would love to include the current month in the Item description field on the invoice. for instance, if my product is named "monthly fee", the description could be automatic to "February 2020"

• Options
    EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @olmo! Thanks for your feedback on this! At this stage I have no further news on when/if this particular feature would be available but we appreciate your added insight.

• Options
    olmoolmo Member Posts: 2

Thanks, it's all about automation and making life easy. I don't like making repetitive work, especially if it opens the opportunity for human error, in this case, I often forget to update the month and send the invoice with the wrong "description"

edited January 24, 2020
  • Options
    AscentDigitalAscentDigital Member Posts: 3

Just wanted to voice support for this addition! I have spent the last couple days trying to come up with a way to add it, it seems like such a basic need for so many of us. I do appreciate the software and hope this could be added in the future!

• Options
    GPearsonGPearson Member Posts: 5

I would love to see this as well. A client wants to see the Description be Contracted Services for {Current Month}. I am trying to move to wave from Invoice Ninja because of the Payroll, and Accounting that Invoice Ninja does not do. Once this and other feature on Late Payments automation can be added, I can leave them and move fully to wave.

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey all! Thanks for your continued feedback here, and we definitely appreciate hearing how this feature would improve your Wave experience. There have been no further updates on this matter, but the feedback is always great to have.

• Options
    RichardLimRichardLim Member Posts: 1

Hi, I would like to have this feature too! A recurring invoice should be something that I can set up and then not have to think about it. It should save me work. Right now, each month's invoice looks exactly the same, if not for the date and the invoice number. Having a dynamic field would make it more obvious to the recipient what month's work this current invoice is for. This should be a basic feature.

• Options
    HugoCatellierHugoCatellier Member Posts: 1

A must have feature, at least dynamic current invoice month or year that could be displayed in item description or the invoice note, please!

edited October 4, 2020
  • Options
    AccountsProAccountsPro Member Posts: 103 ✭✭

I agree we really need this.

• Options
    willdobsonwilldobson Member Posts: 2

Please add the [ current month ] feature for use in recurring invoices.

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Thanks for bringing this back to our attention folks.

Presently there are no updates on this feature request, so I do apologize but don't hesitate to reach out if you have other ideas to contribute.

• Options
    thorsolutionsthorsolutions Member Posts: 1

I just sent in a feature request before googling and stumbling upon this thread, its quite surprising that for such a well built platform such a basic requirement is not being fulfilled even after more than a year of requests made by clients. I understand that this service is free and you have no plans for a paid SaaS version, but honestly, it makes one wonder whether keeping it free compromises feature requests such as these. For me personally, this is a deal breaker, it is very crucial for me to ensure that the invoices say the month and year, I have made a makeshift arrangement by saying "For the period of 1 year from the date of Invoice" But it doesn't look professional and will be hunting for other options.

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @thorsolutions

Thanks a lot for your feedback here. We always appreciate business owners use case scenarios and how this applies to their business. I understand the lack of this feature my cause an inconvenience for how your business operates and I hope you know our team is always looking through our community for feature ideas.

• Options
    bookofdombookofdom Member Posts: 2

Renewing this request for 2021!!!!

I couldn't agree more with the feature request. I currently have to touch every invoice each month because this doesn't exist; otherwise, billing would be automated.

edited February 9, 2021
  • Options
    scottyBscottyB Member Posts: 3

I'm a new customer coming over from Freshbooks and this feature would be key

• Options
    CKELCKEL Member Posts: 5
    Could you set up recurring invoices to expire at the end of each month and enter the description as “Work completed in may” or whatever? That way you would only have to do it 12 times per year instead of for each invoice.
    edited April 11, 2021
  • Options
    KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hi @CKEL!

You can set up a recurring invoice to repeat as often as you like throughout a month, using the Custom option when setting the schedule, and then have it end at the end of the month.

However, it isn't currently possible to add a message for the customer when the recurring invoice ends. A workaround to this is to send the invoice manually. You can do so by opening the invoice, clicking More actions > Send by Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo. From there, you can add your custom message in the email :smile:

• Options
    CKELCKEL Member Posts: 5
    That question was directed to the previous posters as a possible workaround for this issue.
  • Options
    Joe_DJoe_D Member Posts: 4
    I agree,it would be great to have a “current month” feature. Thanks!
  • Options
    SheranSheran Member Posts: 2

Would like to edit date of service for items on an invoice that I duplicate-cannot edit that column...is this possible and I just am missing something?

• Options
    DbrownDbrown Member Posts: 1

I'd be a huge fan of this feature. Am otherwise completely happy with wave. You guys do a great job.

• Options
    seanvoseanvo Member Posts: 6

Hoping this feature is coming soon. I'm currently on a platform that allows for dynamic data in invoices like ::current month:: ::current year:: ::current quarter:: and you can do things like ::current month+1:: to adjust forward or back.

Then when the recurring invoice is set out, it can have text like:
    "Services for the month of June" or "Services for Q1 2022" automatically inserted.

Wave is excellent; this is the only feature keeping some of my business elsewhere.

• Options
    Project251Project251 Member Posts: 3

I also would like to see this feature added to the recurring invoices.
    I have a work around that I don't really like but it helps.
    In the service description on the recurring invoice, I add this : " for the current month. (see invoice date for current month)". It's weird and not very professional but it's all I have to work with. Adding a [day+-x] [month+-x] [year+-x] based on the recurring invoice date would be a very useful feature. I have to change the sentence depending on whether I invoice monthly, quarterly or annually.
    Please add this feature to Wave

edited March 15, 2022
  • Options
    justcallmetomjustcallmetom Member Posts: 2

I was just denied payment because my recurring invoice didn't state the name of the month...