Options

BUSINESS ARCHIVE AND DELETION

ericdbirdericdbird Member Posts: 4

Maybe we could tag businesses as Productive which prevents deletion but can be archived. Also, prevents resetting of data.

Businesses not tagged as Productive can be deleted and able for data reset.

Comments

• Options
    JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi @ericdbird and welcome to Wave's Community forum!

Within Wave, if you archive a business, it prevents any data from being removed, but stops the ability for any changes to be made within the business. The thought here is that when a business closes, you will still need access to the historical bookkeeping but will likely not want it to show up in your list of businesses or have access to make changes. I'm curious to understand the use case for the scenario that you are describing. It sounds like you were hoping be able to fully delete a business once it is created. Are my suspicions correct?

• Options
    Hi Jordan,

Yes. I appreciate the archiving part which is essential for the retention of data.

However, I am thinking that most of the users can relate that somehow we experiment from trial and error in setting up businesses in wave resulting from multiple businesses in the archive regardless if it were an experimental, model or a legal or actual one (Prod - Operating or Once Operated).

I suggest, experimental or model business may be deleted from the account.

But the legal or actual business could only be archived. This could be done if the business was tagged as “Productive”.

Once the business is tagged as Productive it cannot be undone hence Archiving is the only option left if business ceases to operate.
  • Options
    ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@ericdbird It's an interesting idea to offer the ability delete a business as opposed to archiving it, and making the distinction between a productive business versus an experimental one. I suppose you could think of it like each business is its own entity. Once archived, it is essentially deleted unless otherwise restored on your command. If you'd like to make this distinction, you could title your business and then put '-Experimental' or '-Productive'. That way you can easily distinguish between the two and it keeps your main left hand navigation menu clean and clear!

• Options
    RZLRZL Member Posts: 3

How do i delete everything and reset?
    I was testing and now i don't need the test business account setup as it has duplicate imports and so on. Lots of messy lessons learned.

• Options

@RZL said:
    How do i delete everything and reset?
    I was testing and now i don't need the test business account setup as it has duplicate imports and so on. Lots of messy lessons learned.

Hi RZL,

No, I wasn't able to delete or reset a business. They just offered a work around but still our account have some clutter due to our testing. An option to close the account and re-open it is left to remove everything even the good prototypes will be removed.

• Options

@ChelseaK said:
    @ericdbird It's an interesting idea to offer the ability delete a business as opposed to archiving it, and making the distinction between a productive business versus an experimental one. I suppose you could think of it like each business is its own entity. Once archived, it is essentially deleted unless otherwise restored on your command. If you'd like to make this distinction, you could title your business and then put '-Experimental' or '-Productive'. That way you can easily distinguish between the two and it keeps your main left hand navigation menu clean and clear!

Good suggestion however it doesn't address of the concern of other users. Thank you anyway. :)

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @ericdbird @RZL

Thanks for reaching out about this. We've offered the archive feature over deletion for auditing purposes. Typically when you delete something in wave, because it's highly sensitive information we delete it's record history and will not re-instate it for you. This is why your business cannot technically be deleted.

If you're looking to play around in some test accounts, what if you used a secondary email to create a whole new Wave account? This can be completely deleted by following the steps in this article on Closing Your Wave Account

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

• Options
    seakayseakay Member Posts: 9

@BarsinA I too would like the ability to completely delete a business. I am only using Wave for personal use, so set up a fake business when I got started. Even though I set Personal as my default, when I log in on the computer it still goes to the fake business first. Being as I have no data entered in that account, and therefore do not need access to historical bookkeeping for auditing purpose, I would like the option to delete an account. Maybe you can have 2 choices - archive or delete, with a warning that deletion cannot be undone and you should keep records for at least 7 years?

edited November 26, 2019
  • Options
    seakayseakay Member Posts: 9

@BarsinA Even if it was something that you had to email support or somehow go through Wave staff to have a business deleted, the option to do that would be nice.