Options

Budgeting and variance

AlkstudiosAlkstudios Member Posts: 1

Sure would be nice if we could add a budget... better yet budget vs actual.

Comments

• Options
    MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @Alkstudios ! Welcome to the Wave Community! While Wave currently does not have a budget feature, I'd love to hear your insight into what you would like to see in such a feature. Knowing things such as how often you'd use it, how much time you think it'd save you on a monthly basis and your current method of handling this type of thing would be super useful.

Though a budget feature is not currently expected in the foreseeable future, the product team here at Wave is always open to new ways to improve Wave. We appreciate any feedback that you can give! :)

• Options
    finanse_szkola2019finanse_szkola2019 Member Posts: 2

Hi, I would like to upvote this function.
    Every organization is working based on the budgets set up for each year - simply speaking you would expect to be able to set up a budget for every P&L account that you have in your system, setting up values per month.
    Further you would like to be able to run a report that compares your current P&L against the existing budget.
    Currently the widget on the homepage shows summary of your net income vs previous year. It would make much more sense to be able to see that against the budget. and your PL graph should allow to add budget data as a comparison.

Regarding time saving:
    Right now I need to keep all the budgets int he separate file.
    To produce monthly comparison report I need to export all data to excel, and combine with my budget data and it out form there.
    To prepare the first report it takes about 1h.
    BUT
    as in evey organization - once you preview the report, the changes to your records/adjustments are required. Which means that every time you need a fresh version of the report, you need to go through this export function.
    I think you would make BIG friends with every accountant that needs to produce monthly statements.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@finanse_szkola2019 Thank you for the detailed feedback here. This is the type of context we need when exploring different features in the future and how we can implement them into Wave. While I can't guarantee we'll have something like this soon, your note is important to us, and will keep you updated if we come across this again.

• Options
    AllenrAllenr Member Posts: 4
    Have you possibly worked on something like this.
  • Options
    BoggestowBoggestow Member Posts: 6

Would love to see something on budgeting as well. Producing a report against the budget would be beyond cool!

• Options
    KB_TreasurerKB_Treasurer Member Posts: 1

Agree! To be able to set up a budget for every P&L account that you have in your system, setting up values per month, and to be able to run a report that compares your current P&L against the existing budget is so needed.

• Options
    tmerctmerc Member Posts: 1

Upvoting this feature.

This would be powerful for setting organizational goals and managing finances. I would check in at least monthly to look at actual expenses and revenue against planned budget to evaluate performance and make adjustments to operations. It's an incredible way to report to stakeholders as well. This is the kind of feature that, if less expensive than quickbooks online, would push me into a paid subscription

• Options
    Scott_LScott_L Member Posts: 3

A budget tracking feature would certainly be a time saver and a selling point for new users. I have seen this implemented through reporting rather than an addition to the base accounting module, so adding it shouldn't be difficult. All you need is a way to store budget numbers by month using the income and expense accounts and then create a P&L report that shows the difference between actual and budget by month and year.

If you had a budgeting feature, I would switch my church to WAVE right now.

• Options
    DonnaS_VIM2021DonnaS_VIM2021 Member Posts: 2

I am new to Wave and was surprised that there was not a budget feature. My organization's board wants to see Budget to Actual reports on a monthly basis. My only option is to do it in a spreadsheet.

• Options
    WalstonphotoWalstonphoto Member Posts: 1

A budgeting feature is much needed. There are a number of areas for improvement, but budgeting is crucial for any serious business. Right now budgeting and cashflow is being done within a spreadsheet. This is an area where I am constantly updating info (daily basis) sometimes multiple times a day. This means jumping back and forth between Wave and the spreadsheet to input information and track performance.

A solid implementation of budgeting would make Wave a very viable platform for any small business / sole proprietor.

For those who are not using Wave as your payment gateway, get on board with that. The fees are competitive with any other payment option, and that is the support that will help initiate more features.