When I print an invoice, it adds a blank page

burgertimeburgertime Member Posts: 3

Whenever I print an invoice, it sends 2 pages to the print queue, one which is blank. How can I stop this?

Comments

• MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @burgertime , when printing an invoice, I'd recommend exporting the Invoice as a PDF first and then printing the PDF. To export an invoice as a PDF, go to Sales > Invoices and click the Invoice in question. On the Invoice Summary page, click the More actions button in the top right and select Export as PDF.

• KellyKneadsYouKellyKneadsYou Member Posts: 1

I am having the same issue, and this response is not helpful. I am after a Solution, not a Workaround. If I wanted a workaround, I could just click "Print 1 of 2" (Which I am surprised this Admin did not suggest). If your solution to using your service is "Go do something else outside our service", should we be using Wave in the first place?

edited August 7, 2019
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @KellyKneadsYou. When selecting the Print option directly from your Wave account, it will invariably print the website detail, which may lead to an additional page printed. @Myron 's solution of exporting a PDF is very much a Wave function, although you're correct in saying it is still a workaround in the time being.

Thanks for suggesting another workaround for this, as this would be the other option for the second unnecessary page. I'm sure other users will love to see the different options they have to get rid of it so thanks for incorporating it into the thread!

In regards to the issue itself, it's something that we are aware of and there is a possibility that it will be fixed in the coming months with the rollout of some of our new Invoicing features. Until then, you should be able to continue to use the "Print page 1" method that you suggested as it proves to be efficient and streamlined.

edited August 13, 2019
  • MadbotMadbot Member Posts: 6

@KellyKneadsYou said:
    I am having the same issue, and this response is not helpful. I am after a Solution, not a Workaround. If I wanted a workaround, I could just click "Print 1 of 2" (Which I am surprised this Admin did not suggest). If your solution to using your service is "Go do something else outside our service", should we be using Wave in the first place?

I'm with you 100% on this. I get that Wave is free, but when such basic things don't work, if Wave ever did start charging, I'd drop them like a hot potato. I'm strongly considering going a paid option as it as, as I'm having serious issues with Wave invoice sending too.

• MadbotMadbot Member Posts: 6

@AlexL said:
    Hey @KellyKneadsYou. When selecting the Print option directly from your Wave account, it will invariably print the website detail, which may will lead to an additional page printed.

That's not correct. Chrome lets you turn off headers, and footers, adjust margins, etc and STILL Wave insists on printing a completely blank page. I also corrected the "may". It WILL print.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your feedback @Madbot
    Our team is aware of this and we'll update this thread if we receive any further insight into this change.

• Sandy_Stewart_SASandy_Stewart_SA Member Posts: 1

Hi there, I have this issue when selecting the "classic" invoice template. I can work with the work-around but I need to train my clients on how to do the invoicing themselves so it's still really an issue as they aren't as comfortable with all the steps, especially the unnecessary one. Please could I have feedback whether or not this can be fixed?

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@Sandy_Stewart_SA For transparencies sake, because the invoices themselves are still able to print, albeit with an extra page, pushing a fix is not something that is currently of the highest priority. In saying that, it is something that is on our product team's radar and as they consider some other features, this remains in their peripheral.

• Matt_AustraliaMatt_Australia Member Posts: 3

Hi,
    I also have the same issue and currently, I have to choose the 'print' option and 'save as PDF' in the print dialogue box as otherwise, Wave does not keep the padding (spacing) around the border of the page template. The Chrome print dialogue box is the only thing currently that I can see which allows the A4 sizing to be set with spacing to format correctly.

I also get the blank white page even with headers/footers disabled, regardless of choosing Export PDF or Print function.
    Hoping this is something the team can fix in the near future as it is just another step customers of Wave have to do in order to send a professional invoice.

• Yama_NYama_N Member Posts: 21

Has this issue been resolved or reviewed yet? I've had to print an excess of 50 invoices today, and it's a little frustrating that I always have to click "print 1 of 2".

This has been an ongoing issue since 2016 for me.

Hey @Yama_N , at the moment, this issue has not been resolved as of yet.

• mackayrmackayr Member Posts: 5

Why is there no solution to this yet? It appears people have been discussing this for well over a year now. I saw Jordan's post from 6 months ago wherein he stated that it was not a priority now, given that the invoices do print. Would an admin kindly give some indication on when this issue might hit the product team's radar? For workflow and archival purposes, we print every invoice and we are faced with the constant choice between wasting time switching the setting to print first page only, or waste paper.

To those experiencing the same issue: It seems to be browser specific. Edge and Chrome try to print to two pages, whereas Firefox only prints to one. Until the Wave product team fixes this, that may be a viable workaround if you're printing a lot of invoices in a session.

To Wave product team: I've tried to research this a bit (I'm an accountant, not a programmer), and have found this site:
    https://www.codeproject.com/Questions/1028745/Chrome-Browser-Prints-Page-into-Two-Pages-instead
    It seems that the issue may be related to sending the print job using a javascript function like document.execCommand. Although this works in some browsers, it clearly doesn't in most. It seems that using Print @media CSS seems to be a more modern way to send the print job, which should be more compatible with more (if not all) browsers. I have no idea how to do this, but hopefully it points your knowledgeable team of product developers in the right direction.

Good luck!

Hi @mackayr , I appreciate your grit in trying to figure this one out on your own! I'm sure our other users will be super grateful to hear that Firefox is not affected by this.

In regards to the feature being implemented, our Product team is aware of this and although it still isn't something that lands on our short term roadmap at the moment, my fingers are crossed that it's something that they decide to add in the not-so-faraway future.

• mackayrmackayr Member Posts: 5

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. For what it's worth, I came across the following excerpt from a cool blog recently.

"Feedback is a positive thing, even when it's negative

Yes, you’re short on time, and you can't expect your clients to take time to help you improve your business either. But you’re both constantly looking at ways to improve your business. When they receive your product or service, inevitably they'll have ideas of how it all could have been better.

How will you find out though, if only one out of every 26 customers is likely to bring up complaints? The other 25 will likely switch to another brand or business. Instead of waiting for incidents to escalate and come to you in the shape of complaints and bad reviews, it’s time to get ahead."

Hey ... wait a minute. That's YOUR blog and this thread is part of your customers' feedback. I'm pretty sure in the amount of personnel time it takes to create, edit and post a few of these blog posts, the code could have been changed to fix this ongoing printing issue.

I'm not sure what could be more pressing than something as fundamental as printing invoices. Statistically, Chrome dominates the browser market, so the majority of your customers are having this issue - even if one relatively unpopular browser isn't experiencing the glitch.

For the record, printing invoices is as fundamental to businesses as filling the fuel tank in a car is to vehicle ownership. In my opinion, this issue is akin to selling cars where any time fuel is purchased from Esso/Exxon (I'm guessing they'd be one of the more dominant fuel companies), the vehicle owner would have to insert the pump, remove it, and reinsert it ... EVERY TIME! I can't imagine why this would happen, so this is a silly example, but I hope it still illustrates the point. Even though the solution is to merely insert/remove/reinsert and the fuel filling works properly, one would appropriately ask - Why don't they just fix it once and for all?

What is the next step to ensure this lands on your short term roadmap?

Hi @mackayr , we sincerely appreciate your feedback and as we've said before, we do believe feedback is a positive thing even when it's negative. It's users like you - who voice your feature ideas and concerns - that continue to drive progression in the product at Wave and we thank you for it.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of features that are requested by a lot of different business owners and even those that seem incredibly easy to implement are not necessarily that way. I will make sure that our Product team has seen your post so that they can get a better understanding of how our users are feeling in regards to the double print page.

Once again, thanks for the feedback as we really do appreciate it.