Invoices showing an over-payment and consequential refund

SallyJaneSallyJane Member Posts: 2

I have a cleaning client who pays me weekly and I invoice her at the end of each 4 weeks. I am currently off sick and she is still paying me weekly in full -50% is sick pay and 50% I need to refund at the end of the 4 weeks.

The invoice shows 4 lines - one for each week's clean and 4 payments which leaves a balance to be refunded.

I can't figure how to show account for the over-payment. I don't have the bank feed enabled so its just simple accounting amendments I need to show in the journals.

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @SallyJane

So I think what you might want to do is go into the invoice and edit the line item and either delete them or create a new line item called Sick Week at $0. In my example I created 4 line items for cleaning over weeks at $100 and deleted two of them.

I then deleted the two weeks I was sick (or as mentioned make new line items for being sick) and created an income transactions. So if your client is paying you for the full 4 weeks anyway, but should only be paying for 50% of that invoice, you can take the overpayment transaction and split the deposit and categorize them to two invoices.

You can then take the rest of the amount and attribute it to another invoice if you wish!

Hope this makes sense. Check out this article on which method best suits your transaction:

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000278846-Accounting-for-overpayments