Recurring invoices - #GoAutomatic with Wave (Video)

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageRecurring invoices - #GoAutomatic with Wave (Video)

Ready to set your invoicing on autopilot, and get paid the easy way? Watch to learn how Wave's Recurring Invoicing with Recurring Payments can help your business to #GoAutomatic

Read the full story here

edited July 27, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• dan777dan777 Member Posts: 10

Are recurring invoices available on checkouts? It does not appear to be. This would really help. PayPal does have this feature and it's very handy as it means that the business does not have to manually enter the client information for each service that is offered on this recurring basis. It's simply "not feasible" to have to enter each client information manually on a low cost recurring service that attracts a high number of people! PayPal has structured it so that the client enters this information, and not the business. Please support this!

edited July 27, 2019
  • ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @dan777, thanks for reaching out! Thank you for the suggestion! I'm afraid recurring payments is not something that we currently offer on Checkouts. We do offer recurring invoicing that has an auto payment feature which may be helpful for you for now!

• dan777dan777 Member Posts: 10

It's helpful for sure, and I will use it as much as I can. But the advantage of having recurring payments at the "get go" (when a checkout is done) is that it really saves administration time and reduces the risk of error. The main example I can think of is that someone signs up for a service (which is recurring) using checkouts, then I have to manually create a new recurring invoice, and then, say a short while later, the person decides they want to cancel their service, and so they apply for a refund, for example, and the recurring invoice still is set to bill them at the next bill date. So now, I have to manage both the original bill, and the recurring invoice, when someone decides to cancel. But if the recurring invoice was setup at the "get go", then when the person cancelled their service, it would automatically terminate their recurring bill as well. Anyway, thank you, and if you can kindly put it in the queue of feature requests, it would be appreciated.

• inapizinapiz Member Posts: 1

Recurring Invoice Issue

We are having problems with recurring invoices sent to clients because the invoices received do not indicate period they are for. Is there a way to include the period in the invoice description?

For example, if you write “Invoice for %invoice_issue_month_name% %invoice_issue_year%”, and if the invoice would be generated today, our client would see “Invoice for February 2020”.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @inapiz! Currently there isn't a way to include this in the invoice description but I can see how this would be handy. I'd be happy to pass this feedback on! On the invoice itself it does have the invoice creation date and the payment due date there. The other option is to set the invoice to 'manual' sending, so the invoice will generate each month (or whatever cycle it is on) and then you can edit the title of the invoice before sending it out.

• enhanceenhance Member Posts: 4

I've been trying to find out when payments are automatic and they payment dosen't go though - it declines for what ever reason, what happens? is there a fee another attempt 24 hours later?

• arleenwarleenw Member Posts: 1

I'd like to know too.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @enhance @arleenw

When an autopayment fails on a recurring invoice, it is not auto-debited at a later period. You will likely receive and email saying that the payment did not go through, and an in-app notice should appear asking you to take action:

You can attempt to try debit their card again as long as they've signed up for auto-payments and whether you have their card info stored in your business account!

Hope this helps but don't hesitate to reach out if you have other questions!

• enhanceenhance Member Posts: 4

So does it effect the future installments that have been set up? or does it just effect the one that was missed?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @enhance! Great question. This would just affect the missed payment. Future payments will be attempted as usual.

• ZimboDaveZimboDave Member Posts: 9

Very good ... there should be more info vids

• LenoLeno Member Posts: 1

Hi, in regards to the auto generated invoice numbers, is there a way one can change the format? My problem is that the numbers being generated is confusing to my customers because they include dates (past dates) that does not corresponds to the date of the invoice. They then think this invoice is already paid because the invoice number is a past date. Example: An automatic invoice was sent out on May 2, 2021. The automatic invoice number that was generated is Invoice #GL 2021-04-15, which is a date and it is a past date. Is there a way to change this or remove dates from the invoice numbers?

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @Leno !

I will gladly shed some light on our invoice numbering system for you.

The invoice/estimate numbering pattern will always increase from the previous sequence you set. For example, if you create an invoice or estimate (let's say 0019) and create another, the digit at the end of the sequence will increase by 1 (0020). If you add letters, the final digit will always increase by one as well (Name 0021, etc.), and letters cannot be customized (i.e. the same letters will carry over in the next invoice).

Recurring invoices will also follow the sequential order from regular invoices. If you create 5 regular invoices numbered 5-10, the next recurring invoice that generates will be invoice 11. You can edit invoice numbers by navigating to 'Sales > Invoices' and click on the invoice to edit the number in the top right corner. Recurring invoice numbers cannot be edited or customized until the invoice generates as they will automatically generate based on your sequence.

Please note: when the system generates the next invoice number, it will always take the largest number ever used in the past and increment that by one. For example, if you started with 10000, and then changed it to 0001, the next invoice number will be 10001 (and not 0002).