Exporting .csv contains unwanted characters

andynoiseboyandynoiseboy Member Posts: 13

When I export data (in this case, sales tax) from waveapp, the fields containing currency values all have a preceeding unwanted character - i.e. £0.00. Why is this, and how do I make it stop please?

Comments

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @andynoiseboy. This was an issue that was resolved last month, but it looks like it only ever reportedly happened in Excel. Could you please try using Google Sheets to see if it allows you to open up the export correctly there? Also, perhaps Wave Connect is an option for you in this specific case: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

• andynoiseboyandynoiseboy Member Posts: 13

The spurious character is in the csv file so the issue isn't Excel. The character is ignored by Google sheets however the fields in either Excel or google sheets can't be used until text characters are deleted with find/replace then converted to number format. These are all unnecessary steps which could be avoided by exporting the values without text/symbols. I'll look into wave connect - maybe that deals with export formats better?

• andynoiseboyandynoiseboy Member Posts: 13

...it appears that VAT related exports aren't available via Wave Connect.
    On the bright side, what is exportable is done in a useful format - ie. no text/symbols in currency fields. Not sure I'm any better off. Can you please edit the csv export functions to make currency fields numeric only?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @andynoiseboy . Can you send me a DM with a copy of one of these exports as well as info as to exactly what you're exporting? Is it a Sales Tax Report or an account in the Account Transactions Report? Let me know.