Unable to connect to PNC

n8hackettn8hackett Member Posts: 1

An existing connection to PNC has stopped working. I have tried re-entering the credentials several times to no avail. I also updated the security questions on the PNC side to see if that would help but the old questions are still showing up in Wave. What needs to be done for PNC to push the new questions to Wave?

Comments

• micklefordmickleford Member Posts: 13

Same here...

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@n8hackett @mickleford Sorry to hear the PNC bank connection is causing you troubles!
    A few business owners have reached out on our Live Support channels about having similar issues with their PNC bank connection. As it turns out, PNC has recently instituted a measure where users have to add a mobile number to their accounts to link them to third party platforms (like the data aggregator that we use to create bank connections with Wave). Some users have been able to you update their mobile number credentials (through their banking website outside of Wave) and successfully create the connection again. Please give that and try and see if it works!

@n8hackett If your old security questions are showing up, I’m wondering if there might be some cached data causing you issues. In that case, I’d recommend clearing your cache and cookies and/or opening up a New Incognito Window in Chrome to see if you can create a connection from there (after updating your mobile number credentials with PNC first!).
    Fingers crossed this works, let us know!

• VectorBenVectorBen Member Posts: 6

After deleting the connection and now attempting to reconnect my PNC account to Wave, I keep getting the error:

"Your bank needs you to review your account details. Log in to your online banking and fill out any information that is required, then try connecting to Wave again."

I've verified the login information is correct, the security questions are up to date and the answers are correct. I've checked with PNC and they have no insight or advice on the matter. What further actions can I take to troubleshoot this or correct the issue?

Best,
    Ben>

edited August 30, 2019

Solved

To correct this issue, a mobile number must be associated with the business account. This is so the 3rd party service/app can be authenticated or given permission to access the account.

If your mobile number is connected to a personal PNC account, disconnect or disassociate the mobile number from this account 1st. You'll need to wait 24 hrs for the change to go into effect and after the 24 hr period, you can add the mobile number to your business account.

• RandeHRandeH Member Posts: 3

This didn't work for me. Took # off personal, waited over a day, cleared cookies, ran incognito, same error.

@RandeH said:
    This didn't work for me. Took # off personal, waited over a day, cleared cookies, ran incognito, same error.

Did you try removing the bank connection and adding it again after you added the mobile number to your bank account? Wave will prompt for a pin/code sent via text to your mobile for authentication purposes.

No, number was always associated with the account. Do I need to remove it, wait 24, add it back, wait 24, while also removing and reestablishing the connection on Wave?

@RandeH said:
    No, number was always associated with the account. Do I need to remove it, wait 24, add it back, wait 24, while also removing and reestablishing the connection on Wave?

The steps I personally had to take:
    1. Remove the landline number from account and remove mobile number from personal account
    2. wait 1 full business day
    3. add mobile number to business account
    4. remove bank connection from wave
    5. add bank connection back to wave so the pin number prompt would show up
    6. proceed as normal

The issue is, PNC wants a pin number they text to the mobile number. That's what causes the connection error. The only way to get the prompt is to remove the bank connection from your wave account, and go through the "add new connection" process.

Hope this helps!

Can't login to PNC either. Continually get this: "Your bank needs you to review your account details. Log in to your online banking and fill out any information that is required, then try connecting to Wave again."
    Thing is, there is nothing that PNC asks for. I called them, they said them and I are all good and I need to talk to Wave. So, what's the answer Wave?

Removed Personal Number
    Waited
    Deleted account from Wave
    Used incognito window
    Attempted to reinstate (see above)

• rsantanarsantana Member Posts: 2
    Can we seriously STOP getting these cookie cutter answers that you guys post over and over?? You’re going to lose a large customer base if you keep ignoring this issue. There is NOTHING wrong with my bank account, their site or my security questions/password etc. My cache is empty, and you’re not having a “few” people complain about this issue. So get your IT team to figure out what the heck is going on or we can all move to other apps... This is ridiculous and such a typical IT cookie cutter answer. Think outside the box...all of us business owners would love to resolve this quickly not be given excuses repeatedly.
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @rsantana @RandeH

So typically what happens is that your bank may make some major updates to their website or their back-end API. When this happens our third party banking aggregator loses this connection and may need to establish a new one. You can imagine with thousands of banks making these updates our third party aggregator has a bit of a difficult time keeping up. Our aggregator safely views your account and "scrapes" the information from your online bank and imports those values into Wave. So picture the established connection being set with a specific URL. If your bank makes any changes to that data as a whole or on an account by account basis (I'm speaking more from the banks API developers, and less from the bank as a financial institution) then our aggregator can no longer access the information to scrape and import it back into Wave. PNC seems to have made a major change to their API and 9 times of out ten this will affect the connection.

We have already sent the institution the need for an update, and are waiting on this to be fixed. At this present time I apologize I don't have an ETA for when that will be, but you should know that our team is working diligently to get this connection sorted out. Thanks so much for your patience.

• rsantanarsantana Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for that response. That kind of response is appreciated! It lets us know something is being done or a ticket was submitted etc so we can have our issue resolved. I hate to leave this app to only have to backload all my old data and reorganize it all. So thank you! Hope it gets fixed soon.
  • michdjmichdj Member Posts: 3

This has been going on for at least two months. Can you all at Wave actually get into contact with PNC to work something out? This level of downtime is unacceptable.

• michdjmichdj Member Posts: 3

Is this the same protocol for personal accounts? Because my personal account cannot be accessed by Wave either.

• micklefordmickleford Member Posts: 13

I updated my mobile number back in September and it worked for a while. Right now, Wave grabs the balance but none of the transactions. It hasn't imported a transaction since Sept 18.

@michdj It appears that our 3rd party data aggregator is having issues with PNC bank accounts. There is a tentative fix to have it resolved by the 25th of October from their engineering team, but should any roadblocks happen in the near future, it might prevent these connections from working as expected on that date. Apologize for the inconvenience this has caused during this time, but you will need to stick to uploading your statements manually.

It's important to understand the PNC connections are having issues/errors if you've never had to input the security pin. There's not much the 3rd party can do, it's really a security & experience problem PNC did not design properly. Not many business accounts will have a cell number associated with them.

@michdj I've recently responded to your inquiry in a separate thread, but our data provider has given us a tentative date on resolution for October 25th. I'm still uncertain whether or not this will actually be resolved by then as I'm sure their engineering team may hit roadblocks when trying to resolve this issue. Either way, we'll update our users once we have more information regarding this situation.

CC: @mickleford ^^

• strizzlow20strizzlow20 Member Posts: 1

Good Evening,

I updated my mobile number in September and thankfully was able to access my PNC business account with the security text verification. This worked for a few weeks. Now, as of October 3rd, 2019, my transactions are not updating even when I properly verify my security mobile PIN. Very frustrating :(.

• mmckiviganmmckivigan Member Posts: 2

Any update on PNC connections, it's November 5th and still not working.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

HI @mmckivigan . No updates from our aggregator but some users have found success with the following:

• Please login to your online banking and update the required personal information

• This request may occur after login or while navigating through the site
    • Once done, please login to the bank connection and initiate a refresh through Wave

edited November 7, 2019
  • TiWaveTiWave Member Posts: 1

It's been 3 months and still no update from Wave on anything. We are in the dark; you keep passing blame on your "aggregator" but in short your product is not working AND IT HAS BEEN THREE MONTHS! This is a major issue for most of us... We are small businesses and don't focus on accounting... Wave needs to understand their market!

I know this post pointless; we have already started the process of moving to other accounting software because we know there won't be a resolution... it just really sucks because our entire business was built on Wave 7 years ago - we viewed you as partner but Wave does not value its customers.

Hey @TiWave . Very sorry to hear about the effect that this is having on your business. I want to let you know that we really are doing our best to get this fixed, but ultimately our hands are tied as we haven't seen a fix from our aggregator yet.

There are alternatives to the automatic bank connection like Wave Connect, but at the end of the day because we would never want to deter you from meeting the needs of your business, you should do what feels right for your business.

We're hoping this connection sees a fix in the near future, and we'll update everyone as soon as we know more.

• markl67markl67 Member Posts: 5

Any update on this problem with PNC?

Edit 11/21: Looks as if Wave has decided to just give up on resolving this. For others with PNC connection issues, I've decided to work around this by exporting PNC transactions to a CSV spreadsheet which can then be uploaded in Wave via "upload bank statement" in the Transaction menu. Of course I'll lose the auto categorize feature, but 95% of the time that didnt work anyway.

edited November 21, 2019
  • relikrelik Member Posts: 1

We will also be moving away from Wave assuming we can find a similar product whose automatic bank import actually works. @TiWave - what did you end up going with, if you don't mind my asking?

Unfortunately, we don't have time to import transactions manually and need the software to work the same way it has for the past ~5 years. As it stands, we are months behind on bookkeeping due to this issue.

It's a shame, because Wave was a tremendous product before they seemingly dropped the ball on bank connections.

edited November 25, 2019
  • seedsmgmtseedsmgmt Member Posts: 3

well this sucks to hear........moving is going to take a month!

• seedsmgmtseedsmgmt Member Posts: 3

so is WAVE really giving up on PNC?

Hi @markl67 + @seedsmgmt . We haven't given up on resolving this, although we are reliant on our Data Aggregator to fix this connection for us as they do run all of our bank connections in Wave. We are waiting for it to get up and running, but until then the best thing would be to upload your transactions into Wave using Wave Connect.

• JFWJFW Member Posts: 1

Just chiming in here to say this lack of connection with PNC is probably going to have to make me move to a competitor. I now can't even get direct deposit payments to PNC because of this issue... and getting paid is kind of important. Please provide any updates if you have them. Or just be honest and say this is a 6 months + kind of thing and then we can all have a peaceful breakup.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @jakorsme

As you may already know Wave uses a 3rd party banking aggregator called Plaid to "scrape" the information securely from your banking transactions page, then convert it to a transaction in Wave. Essentially what happens is that your bank is constantly making new updates to their back end security encryption because naturally banks want to remain on top when it comes to having the latest in security. When any of these changes are made, it will disconnect from Wave. Plaid has to then create a new connection path depending on the type of changes that your bank made. This change sends our team an error code which we can then escalate to the Plaid for a more thorough investigation. Plaid will then respond to Wave support to give them a clearer idea of what is going on with this particular bank.

I understand how this may affect your accounting. I am sure that you've already been giving instructions on how to manually upload your transactions but just to be sure I'll post those below:

Using our CSV uploader

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208621626-Upload-a-bank-or-credit-card-statement-in-csv-format

Wave Connect

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

edited November 5, 2020