American Express Not Connecting

tony140tony140 Member Posts: 6

I've been using Wave for about a year now, and I've never had any trouble automatically importing my transactions from three sepearate Amex cards. About a week ago, all of them stopped updating. When I tried to click the manual update button, it would go through the status changes but never update. So, I deleted the connection and tried to re-add it, now I'm getting this error message:

"Your bank's website appears to be experiencing technical difficulties. If you can successfully log in to your online banking, please try connecting or updating again in Wave. If the problem persists for 24 hours, please visit our help center."

Is anyone else having trouble updating American Express? Being one of the largest credit card providers I would have thought there would be some other posts on here about it, that makes me think it may just be a problem on my end.

Any troubleshooting steps I can try or do I just have to wait it out and hope it justs starts working again?

Comments

• jbrajbra Member Posts: 7

I am seeing this issue with Amex too.

• clonmelclonmel Member Posts: 1

My AMEX connections have not worked for 5 days. Having the same issue.

• DesignExpertsLLCDesignExpertsLLC Member Posts: 2

Same issue. I deleted the connection and tried to reconnect but it will not find my card anymore.

Mine didnt show an error; it would go through the motions and still say "last updated 5 days ago." Timing wise it looks like this is the same for the commentor above.

• tony140tony140 Member Posts: 6
    Ok so sounds like it's probably a problem with American Express changing something on their end and Wave just needs to make the necessary changes to fix it. Hoping someone from Wave tech team sees this and can get it taken care of quickly
  • HBWHBW Member Posts: 1

Also having the same problem here

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! The bank connection feature in Wave is run and maintained by a third party data aggregator that allows us to have this feature in Wave. Currently, it looks like they are reporting outages with Amex which also means they're aware of the issue.

As @tony140 mentioned above, an issue like this is normally caused by major updates to the financial institution's website or back end API and although I don't have an ETA as to when you can expect a resolution, but it does look like our data aggregator is working on a fix. Thanks for your patience!

• DesignExpertsLLCDesignExpertsLLC Member Posts: 2

That is what I was hoping to hear, thanks!

• tony140tony140 Member Posts: 6

It appears to be working again

• WWLWWL Member Posts: 1

I am having the same issue this week importing transactions from SunTrust Bank. It worked beautifully up to 9/30, but since then has not imported into Wave. The other difference I noticed is that the connected accounts page used to display the bank balance (which made me feel comfortable it was connected), and that info is now no longer appearing on the connected accounts page. So maybe the issue is with more banks than just Amex?
    Wave - can you raise this to the 3rd party as well and I hope for a quick resolution.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @WWL! Thanks for reaching out! Are you seeing any error messages in your account under: Banking > Connected Accounts? Usually if transaction importing has stopped it will let you know here, otherwise we'd be happy to investigate the issue a little further. Ho many accounts do you have connected in your SunTrust connection? If more than one, did they stop importing transactions at the same time?

• JamrJamr Member Posts: 37

This has been happening to me since Beginning/Aug/2020. Was previously working fine.
    Anyone else having this problem?

• PiercePrimmPiercePrimm Member Posts: 6

My AMEX stopped importing mid-September. NEED A FIX

edited September 28, 2020
  • JamrJamr Member Posts: 37

After approximately 3 weeks this started working again as mysteriously as it stopped working. This kind of stuff makes the internet fun huh?

• BReelBReel Member Posts: 3

I am having same problem. Been going on a few weeks or longer. Is there some way to fix this so Amex transactions will import?

• dtwconsultingdtwconsulting Member Posts: 9

This has also stopped working for me. It worked when I initially set up the connection but since around Sept 25th it has stopped working. Hoping that someone at Wave can look into this and give us an update.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hello @dtwconsulting, @BReel , @Jamr , and @PiercePrimm ! I'm afraid that American Express is experiencing issues with their bank connection resulting in the failed transaction imports that you are experiencing. Our third party data aggregator, Plaid, is aware of this and they are working diligently towards a resolution. At the moment there is no ETA available for a fix. If you are currently affected by this and need your transactions imported into Wave immediately, you can manually import them with on of the two options listed below:

@JulianP, thanks for the update. Hopefully this gets fixed quickly.

• PiercePrimmPiercePrimm Member Posts: 6

@JulianP, I will import for now. Thank you for the updates.

• stevessteves Member Posts: 1

First Wave can not import from Capital One and now it is American Express. It appears that this is related to Plaid and not Amex or capital One as Quicken does not experience the same problems. Please explain

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @steves

We have a current escalation with Plaid about this Amex issue. Below is the response from Plaid:

I confirmed the Item corresponding to account is also affected by the known American Express integration issue that was mentioned by one of our previous agents—blockages preventing transaction updates.

We are working with American Express to resolve the issue, and I have linked this ticket to our integration team's investigation so that we can let you know once we have a fix. Because this issue is caused by American Express infrastructure, we are unable to provide an ETA at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue causes and appreciate your continued patience while we work to resolve it.

I understand this is not a fix and I do apologize, but I did want to update this thread in the meantime!

• TopRowTechTopRowTech Member Posts: 5

@Barsin , thanks for forwarding the report from Plaid. I understand that that Wave Apps cannot directly resolve this, but it is very clear from report after report after report that Plaid is NOT WORKING for SOOOOO many customers. Wave Apps needs to drop Plaid and find an integrator that actually works.

Any further update? This is now into the 2 week timeframe that this is not working. My CitiCard also has not synced in over 2 days even though I have new transactions. Those new transactions hit yesterday. I never had these kind of issues with Quickbooks, all credit card and bank integrations just worked. Shame, as I am liking the features that Wave provides.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @dtwconsulting , no updates to share about this at the moment.

@AlexL, Thanks for the update. It was working again for me but now appears to have stopped again. I can understand that this is out of your control and up to the Plaid, but it really should not take them this long to fix the issue. It is getting close to 4 weeks since this went down. You guys have a great piece of software here so it's a shame that certain parts are letting it down.

• kellygee1987kellygee1987 Member Posts: 1

Any update on this? I have to be able to have amex connected and I'm trying to decide whether to switch to quickbooks or keep wave. I can connect with amex in quickbooks

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @kellygee1987 !

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your American Express bank connection. I'm afraid that AMEX is currently experiencing issues with their Plaid integration preventing users from successfully connecting their accounts or successfully receiving automatic transaction imports. Below Is a screenshot for reference:

Alternatively Wave offers a few options to import and upload your transactions manually. You can learn more about these below:

I apologize for the inconvenience.

• EliezerEliezer Member Posts: 4

I am now having the same issue with Amex for the past few weeks

• MircuryMircury Member Posts: 1

I have not had a transaction update in almost 14 days now for my Amex card. I stopped and re-enabled the connection and it didn't help.

• EddieLampEddieLamp Member Posts: 1

My connection to American Express stopped working over a week ago. The ability to initiate a reconnect no longer exists. Please help.

• k2d2k2d2 Member Posts: 2

I have the same issue for about a week now. Any update would be much appreciated. Thanks!