How to take a good photo of your receipt

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to take a good photo of your receipt

Here are some tips for taking a good quality picture of your receipt to increase the accuracy of the information Wave pulls from your receipt:

Make your receipt as flat and wrinkle free as possibl...

Read the full story here

edited October 16, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• mishtcmishtc Member Posts: 18
    What about long receipts that AREN'T marketing. Making a way to stitch two images together of a long receipt would make a really big difference. We have a lot of them that have the date and trans number at the bottom that are well over a foot long.
  • EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @mishtc! Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback on this! Receipts come in many shapes and forms so it is hard to accommodate them all. However, we do recognize that receipts can be long and aren't always on one page. Just so we have a better idea, how often would you get receipts like this? Are there any others which you find difficult to upload? You can always try using one of the other receipt upload methods to see if this helps in the mean time - https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622096-Overview-of-receipts

• mishtcmishtc Member Posts: 18
    Grocery stores, Walmart, Best Buy, Home Dept all have those long guys and often the date is at the bottom of the ridiculous ads. Those are pretty often purchase locations for both business and personal.
    My husband just made the suggestion of folding the receipts to capture the date and trans number at the bottom and the items detail at the top so it's not as long and truncating out the ridiculous. Why didn't I think of that???!!! I think that will be our work-around.
  • KHughesKHughes Member Posts: 3
    There needs to be a way to attach multiple photos to one receipt. As previously stated, many receipts are multiple pages and all info is pertinent to store. I do bookkeeping for carpenters and landscapers. The amount of material they will purchase at a time could be tens of thousands of dollars with huge receipts. Sure, I can take a picture of just the last page with the total amount; however, I would still need to keep the paper copy of the receipt, making this program fairly useless from a storage standpoint as it would not decrease the amount of papers I have to keep in any way.
  • EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @mishtc! Ah ha, thanks for sharing! I had not thought of that either! While we hope to improve this function in the future, this is a great workaround to use in the mean time. I'm sure some other users will find this tip helpful as well!

Hi @KHughes! Thanks for your feedback here! It really helps our team to see these specific use cases where receipts need to be captured in more than just one picture. In your case, I can definitely see see how attaching multiple photos to one receipt would be helpful to you and your business, and I'm sure you're not alone! Thanks again.

• KingingwallKingingwall Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I’m in the UK and just started using the App. So far the App hasn’t recognised any of the Vendors. Is this a photo issue or is it because I am in UK? Thanks.
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Kingingwall! Sounds like this may be due to the photo itself - have you had any luck with uploads since you've made this post? Are there any error messages at all that pop up when you attempt to upload what you've taken?

• KRLuckKRLuck Member Posts: 3
    The article doesn’t suggest how to deal with a receipt where there are so many items that the receipt width fills way less than a third of the screen width (even in portrait format) even without the marketing guff at the bottom excluded.
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @KRLuck

Unfortunately our receipt capturing system does not handle full lengthy itemized receipts. Often times some people only snap the bottom total in this regard. I understand this is unfortunate and might not be useful for you so I do apologize!

• Seabright_03Seabright_03 Member Posts: 1

Doesn't state required file formats for uploading receipts.