Reports: Detailed CSV/PDF with info

mithunmithun Member Posts: 3

Hey wave'ers!
I had a quick question. Been using Wave for a while and I've been pretty happy with all the features and workarounds that i've implemented to get my workflow for accounting pretty sorted. Just a few things that I am unable to overcome.
1. How do I generate detailed reports at the end of the month to hand over to my accountant which will include line wise items with the Invoice details as opposed to just saying "Bill Payments" or "Invoice Payment" for a specific Account? Its annoying that it doesnt list the customer name and the details of the invoice or the bill. Just wondering how to enable that in the reports. Is there anyway to display these details on the CSV or PDF generated from the Accounts Ledger tab?
2. Is there any other way for me to get a report with the invoice and billing details to show all transactions for a particular entry?

Do let me know guys. Will help heaps.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @mithun! To get more detailed reports, instead of marking the invoice (or bill) as paid directly from the invoice, you can categorize the income/withdrawal transaction to that particular invoice. If you currently follow this workflow to record payments to an invoice: Sales > Invoices > 'Record a Payment', you will see an 'Invoice Payment' transaction created on the Transactions page.

Instead, what you'll want to do is upload your bank/credit card statements into Wave (or re-create the payment transaction in the Transactions page) and categorize this as 'Payment received for an invoice'. You can then select the outstanding invoice. This will mark the invoice as 'Paid'. It will also mean that when you go to your reports, instead of just 'Invoice Payment' you will see the details of the invoice that was paid.

For your second question, are you able to clarify what exactly you want to see in the report? You mentioned you want the report to show all transactions for a particular entry - is this the invoice entry or something else? I'm not sure of Wave has a report that would detail exactly what you are looking for, but we would be happy to take a look!

• mithunmithun Member Posts: 3

@EmmaP said:
    Hi @mithun! To get more detailed reports, instead of marking the invoice (or bill) as paid directly from the invoice, you can categorize the income/withdrawal transaction to that particular invoice. If you currently follow this workflow to record payments to an invoice: Sales > Invoices > 'Record a Payment', you will see an 'Invoice Payment' transaction created on the Transactions page.

Instead, what you'll want to do is upload your bank/credit card statements into Wave (or re-create the payment transaction in the Transactions page) and categorize this as 'Payment received for an invoice'. You can then select the outstanding invoice. This will mark the invoice as 'Paid'. It will also mean that when you go to your reports, instead of just 'Invoice Payment' you will see the details of the invoice that was paid.

Hi @EmmaP, so basically, I have been following a workflow exactly as you've indicated. I click on Sales > Invoices > Record a Payment and mark it paid and it would create an Invoice Payment transaction as expected in the Transactions page that would relate to an "Invoice Payment" entry in the report.
    This is exactly the intended use, just that instead of showing only the 'description' tab from where the "Invoice Payment" is showing up in the report (both PDF and CSV), I want to be able to display the Invoice Number captured in the Category field and the associated account name Cash at Bank, TDS etc, from the Account field and the customer name from the Customer field in the report.
    Would I have to manually enter these while creating a new transaction or is there an easier way cause the data is already there. Just need a way to display it to make it easier for my CA to track when i send him a spreadsheet.

For your second question, are you able to clarify what exactly you want to see in the report? You mentioned you want the report to show all transactions for a particular entry - is this the invoice entry or something else? I'm not sure of Wave has a report that would detail exactly what you are looking for, but we would be happy to take a look!

This question is exactly as described above.
    I want to be able to display the Account, Customer and Category from the Transactions page into a monthly report for all my payments received and paid to make it easier for my CA to just look at a single spreadsheet and know what went down in the month with my accounts. Now, to get the details, we have to click on each Invoice Payment hyperlink in the PDF to look at the details of that specific transaction. I'd just like to display additional fields, thats all.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @mithun , thanks for this detailed description of exactly what you're looking for. The difficulty here is that what you're looking for isn't available in just a single report. Let me explain why.

First off, you can definitely use the Account Transactions Report to show these payments, but based on what you're looking for, this only shows the payment associated to the account. In addition to this, you can also filter for the customer, but you would have to generate a different report for each customer you've sold products/services to.

In regards to the categorization, it doesn't appear because the income account is based on an invoice line item level. This means that each product that you add to your invoice has an income account associated to it, so one invoice can have as many invoice accounts as products you have listed.

Overall, if you want to include this information into each line item, you'd have to do it manually through the description, or generate different reports.

• mithunmithun Member Posts: 3

Hi @AlexL
    Thanks for chiming in.
    While all of this makes perfectly good sense to me and I do understand these features are not already there or enabled on Wave, I would imagine having the option to generate a custom report with fields and columns relevant to the data you want to capture might be extremely efficient and if possible to enable, should be enabled. The data is all there. Its just not associated with the right reporting. Giving the user the option to select the columns from the database to display in the generated reports (both CSV and PDF) is super helpful and would be a welcome addition.
    Just so that I can figure out a way to better integrate this into my workflow. Currently, there is no way to generate a transaction report from the Accounting > Transactions tab. So editing each entry in the transactions might also be futile if I can't print that out to a report.
    Is there any other workaround you guys would like to recommend to carry info from the sales invoices and purchases to the report?
    Waiting to hear from you all.
    Best
    Mithun