Auto-generated Invoice Numbers

ZimeleNZimeleN Member Posts: 2

Hi

please assist we are trying to change our autogenerated no from INV17.... to INV18... as we are in 2018 but when we try to change it hoping it will carry on for other invoices it just carries on from the last INV17 Invoice

it becomes frustrating as we need to add the invoice numbers manually

could it be that because we have recurring invoices it continues from the other invoices

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @ZimeleN.

Our invoice numbering system will always continue from the highest invoice number it can find. Wave numbers its invoice like that to prevent any repeated invoice numbers. Repeated numbers could create invoicing nightmares, so we make sure it doesn't happen.

To reset your invoice numbering, you'll have to number your next invoice manually, using a new prefix. My recommendation would be to invoice yourself an invoice for $0, and name it something along the lines of "2018 - 000". Wave will consider "2018 - " to be a prefix and will only change the following numbers. Once another invoice has been generated (it should be numbered 2018 - 001, if you follow that format), you can freely delete that $0 invoice to clean up your page.

You can also retroactively change the number of your invoices. You just have to click on "Edit", after you click on the arrow to the right of an invoice. That way, you can change invoices that were badly numbered and were already sent out in 2018.

Let me know if you need more help.

• OfficeOffice Member Posts: 5

Hi, I'm having the same issue. We had a few invoices with repeated numbers, so I added numbers at the end (1, 2, 3...) but then the invoice numbering was never right after that. Our invoices are 183000... now I've deleted all of the miss-numbered invoices and have started 193000, 193001 etc but the invoice numbering still hasn't reset itself, how do I fix this?

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi @Office

Wave's invoice numbering won't go back and fill in the missing numbers. The way the numbering works, is it will always take the largest invoice number ever used, and increment by 1.

If you had an invoice number of 17001, and 2001, and then you tried to go back to 18001, it would automatically increment the next invoice to be 2002.

Hope that helps.