Double income and expenses in profit and loss

CamJustCamCamJustCam Member Posts: 4

Hi
I created a set of liability accounts for my regular suppliers ... when I receive a receipt or invoice from these clients I add these to the respective account. When I make payments from my bank - I then credit the account.

I have a similar structure for my receipts - I receive money from Credit Cards, Cash, and a few payment app and barcode systems. Each of these has their own account on the system.
Each of these deposits into my account is allocated as a Transfer from the respective Credit Card, Cash etc account. And balanced by sales figures from my Point of Sale System.

The problem is that I now seem to have a duplication of both expenses and income in my Profit and Loss account. It's as if every transaction is being counted by the system twice.

Can anyone help me arrange the4se accounts appropriately so that this does not occur?

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @CamJustCam! Can you send some screenshots here of what that doubled income/expense looks like in your Profit & Loss report? Do you also see duplicated transactions within you Accounting > Transactions page? Would love to dig further into this with you!

• CamJustCamCamJustCam Member Posts: 4

Hi
    Thanks for responding. I will upload a few screenshots - but to answer your queries I don't see duplicate transactions ... but what is happening is that it is double counting the debits and credits into my accounts for the Cash Flow report. Actually, the Profit and loss report seems to be relatively accurate. !

Is there a way of fixing this?

Cheers

Cam

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @CamJustCam! Thanks for sending those screenshots through. In your first post here you mentioned - "I created a set of liability accounts for my regular suppliers ... when I receive a receipt or invoice from these clients I add these to the respective account. When I make payments from my bank - I then credit the account". Can you walk me through the process of how you are recording an invoice payment? I'm not able to see from the reports what may be causing these numbers, but I'm interested hear about your workflow and we can go from there to figure it out!

• CamJustCamCamJustCam Member Posts: 4

Hi
    My process is a bit of a workaround.

Step one - I capture all receipts and invoices on my mobile wave app (at the moment Wave only thinks of these as receipts - but I treat both as the same thing).

For every Vendor, I created a Liability account ... and I record this as the Account from which the receipt/invoice was paid. See the screenshot of the relevant chart of accounts...

The next screenshot shows the receipt captured to the "Village Butcher" Account as an example, With the Category correctly allocated for my Costing (in this case Cost of Sales Food).

I then track payments from my bank account or credit card to the vendor. To do this I make the category - the Vendor liability account - see screenshot.

This leaves me with multiple accounts from which I can track both debits and credits - allowing me to effectively reconcile each account (It would be terrific if, in fact, we could reconcile any account we wanted not the limited ones in the system).

I hope that clarifies how I'm working. Any improvements on the chart of accounts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure where the best place for Vendor Accounts such as I've created is. I placed them under liabilities as that seemed reasonable. But the system seems to track the flow of cash for both internal/external transactions and inter-account transactions.

Thanks

Cam

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @CamJustCam

Thanks for the feedback and the workaround for our other users to potentially use as well. Just curious, could you treat your vendors as an asset account (Cash and bank) rather than liability? Do you think that might allow you to merge both transactions? Let us know!

• DilliDilli Member Posts: 2

My bank account is connected and it creates duplicate transactions for each income and expense automatically. Why is this happening? How do I get it to stop?

Hey @Dilli! I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. As far as your account goes, are you seeing multiple bank accounts connected under your Banking tab? Also, could you let me know what bank you're with?

• batbat Member Posts: 3

I think I'm having something similar. When someone pays an invoice it is created as income. When Wave pays my bank, minus fees, it is created as income again. I can't match them though, because the fees were taken out - the numbers don't match. Also, sometimes I had multiple payments at once, so Wave paid me in a larger chunk than the invoices where. How does everyone deal with this?I'm not sure of the best way to sort through all these payments.

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @bat , can you send me a screenshot of the transaction that your bank pulls in when Wave sends the money to your bank account? This should be a transferred transaction from the Payments by Wave account into your bank account, but a screenshot will help me confirm this.

Thanks!

• fillionfillion Member Posts: 1

I am having the same issue. I issue an invoice through Wave, record the revenue, but Wave also counts the revenue hitting my bank account when the invoice is paid. So my assets are doubled. I match them, but Wave still counts each separately

• batbat Member Posts: 3

I've left them in uncategorized right now, trying to figure out if I erase them, or just ignore them.

Hey @fillion, when you say that you match these transactions, are you referring to them being merged? Your options here should be to either merge them, or to delete the automatically imported bank transaction, but I'd love to know more about your current workflow.

@bat I'd recommend that you open a ticket with the support team around this, as this may require further investigation into your account on a more private basis.

• DilliDilli Member Posts: 2

Sorry for the late reply. No, it's only one Bank (Citizens) but what I notice is it'll post both the pending and final transactions. So the income is counted twice.

Hey @Dilli! That one's definitely tricky. For the time being, what I'd recommend doing would be to delete the pending transactions so that your income is not doubly accounted. This is something that we've let Citizens know is an ongoing issue, but we do not have an ETA on when they'll have a fix for this.

• Allison_McC71Allison_McC71 Member Posts: 1

Has anyone successfully gotten this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue, and I've literally spent 7 working on it per the live chat help line's instruction, and this still shows the deposits going into my bank as uncategorized income separate from the invoices I mark as paid.