Invoices as to do

DellaDella Member Posts: 2

Hi guys, wondering if anyone has any tips / tricks / insight?

I make bespoke items for customers that are paid for before creation. Is there a way to mark an invoice as paid and also note that I still need to action it?

At present I'm keeping a separate record of what materials I need to work, what I need to make and what needs to be posted but it would be really useful to be able to flag these invoices in wave.

Any ideas?

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Della

Currently there is no way to set up a reminder to yourself that the item needs to be made unfortunately. Would you could do however is

1. Create the invoice.
    2. Don't mark it as paid.
    3. Instead, add the income transaction to your accounting > transactions page, leave the category as uncategorized but title the transaction "Invoice 11 payment from Mel". (You could also in theory categorize it to sales if you wanted then change it later).
    4. Check in on your unpaid invoices under Sales > Invoices, this will list them in order of date. The unpaid ones are the ones whose product need finishing.
    5. Once a project is done, go back to the invoice transaction on your transactions page and categorize it as a payment made to an invoice in Wave > then select your appropriate invoice.

This is definitely a workaround, but it will give you a visual reminder on the unpaid invoices as needing to be finished.

Another thing to keep in mind, is in accrual accounting, when you make an invoice, your reports (if left in accrual) will show the income already, then when you create that income transaction in your transactions page, it might seem like a duplicate income. Be sure to set your account transaction (GL) report to cash only, rather than accrual to show exactly what you've earned on that invoice.

Hopefully this makes sense, but don't hesitate to reach out if you need further clarification.