Options

Wave Receipts for Android - Not Available in the Play Store

2»

Comments

• Options
    leo82lyleo82ly Member Posts: 2

It's August 2020 now. Have you guys still not figured out how to put the recepits app back to the play store?

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @leo82ly , the Receips app is not available in the app store but is available for download through our website (https://www.waveapps.com/receipts).

• Options
    leo82lyleo82ly Member Posts: 2

For some reason, the QA code doesn't work for me. Is there a link that I can download the APK directly? Also, what 's the version number of the latest version? Thanks!

@AlexL said:
    Hey @leo82ly , the Receips app is not available in the app store but is available for download through our website (https://www.waveapps.com/receipts).

• Options
    GlennFGlennF Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
  • Options
    COREYCx3COREYCx3 Member Posts: 1

This does not work.

• Options

Hi @COREYCx3 , what doesn't work? Have you tried the link above that @GlennF posted?

• Options
    robo2020robo2020 Member Posts: 1

Hi @AlexL, I have the latest Andriod os and after the download from the link above it says: it could not open file, which I expect it is trying to open the downloaded apk. any advice?

Quick update as I was using duck-duck-go browser but apk install worked using chrome

edited October 7, 2020
  • Options
    digdanlerdigdanler Member Posts: 11

I've installed the apk and I get the error "Couldn't Load Receipts. Try Again." Is there a timeline for the app being available on android?

• Options

Hey @robo2020 + @digdanler , I'm not seeing any issues with our app on this end. Can you try re-downloading via the QR code and re-opening it?

• Options
    JumpersJumpers Member Posts: 4

I have downloaded the android apk file (receipts.bin) both from the link and via QR code, but it gives me an error on my Samsung Note 9. Please help?

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Jumpers

My apologies for the delay in this message. When it comes to any errors in Wave, screenshots of the error always help our team diagnose an issue a bit better. Would you mind sharing this with our team so we can help you better? Thanks so much :smile:

• Options

Hi, it just says (when I click in the receipts.bin download file): "You don't have apps that can open this type of file. You can search for one in the play store. Should the download say receipts.apk and not receipts.bin? What app do I need?

• Options

@Jumpers said:
    Hi, it just says (when I click in the receipts.bin download file): "You don't have apps that can open this type of file. You can search for one in the play store. Should the download say receipts.apk and not receipts.bin? What app do I need?

Just downloaded it from Chrome and it works!

• Options
    Eck74Eck74 Member Posts: 3

When I use the QR code, it takes me to the Wave Receipts page. There is no download. I managed to upload using the Upload Receipt button, but that was not very user-friendly on a phone. Why is there no direct link to an Android App? I just reset my phone to deal with some other issues and all of the sudden my app is gone. I don't get it. You keep talking around this base issue in this entire thread: Why can I not go to the Google Play store and download the Receipts app, just like I can the Invoicing app?

edited December 2, 2020
  • Options
    TraceTrace Member Posts: 2
    Curious where this is at? I'm testing out Wave, specifically receipts.
  • Options

Hi @Eck74 , you can reference Barsin's post from a few months back which explains why the app isn't in the app store.

@Barsin said:

Pardon the technical jargon, but just wanted to clarify the issue we ran into with our app in the Google Play store and how its removal was not a security related matter.

Our Receipts app was built to support Android hardware with 32 bit architectures. The current version doesn't have 64 bit support, which prevents it from meeting a hard requirement for distribution in the Google Play Store. We've decided in the interim, to host the app ourselves in order to have the flexibility of providing bug fixes and security updates for existing users. We are looking at rolling out a new Receipt scan experience with 64 bit support which would replace the existing Receipts app once available.

Hi @Trace , you can download our Receipts app by QR code through this link to our site.

edited December 17, 2020
  • Options
    t1mt1m Member Posts: 1

So what's the latest on this? Still doesn't appear to be available in the Play Store.

• Options
    KristenVKristenV Member Posts: 121 admin

Hi @t1m , Wave Receipts is currently not available for download through the Play Store. Instead you are able to download the app by QR code through Wave's website here: https://www.waveapps.com/receipts

• Options
    BCMBCM Member Posts: 3

Hi Wave team, after a couple years at this point can this supposed 64-bit support upgrade get done? It's a security risk for app users to not be in the Play Store and there's a reason Android has multiple layers that have to be disabled / circumvented to perform this sort of install. It's not appropriate to expect users to do all this and it creates an untrustworthy situation where the community doesn't know if your app is following the rules and not doing something suspect internally. If it's your camera / scanning library that needs upgrading or whatever it is maybe even consider open-sourcing the app to get the help you need, but 64-bit and these many user-focused security controls are never going away.

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @BCM !

As you may know, the current version of our Receipts app doesn't have 64 bit support, which prevents it from meeting a hard requirement for distribution in the Google Play Store. In the interim, we've decided to host the app ourselves in order to have the flexibility of providing bug fixes and security updates for existing users. Sorry for the inconvenience.

With that being said, let me assure you that Wave is extremely committed to the security and privacy of those who use Wave. Our entire organization works with our security team to ensure that the security and privacy of your data is protected at all times.

• Options

The "interim" is my concern as an app user however since it's been 1.5 years since this was a requirement:

https://developer.android.com/distribute/best-practices/develop/64-bit

Can you post your app to something reputable like APKMirror (https://www.apkmirror.com/) that will showcase its signing and security scans at a minimum? Self-hosting APKs does not imply trust among other things you can do for the self-hosted route.

• Options

Well, I suppose this topic is moot now:

https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/10497/an-enhanced-receipts-experience

I'll wait for that experience.

• Options
    APPAPP Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Rather than invest in app/OCR, Wave H&R is abandoning the app and OCR.

Maybe when they lose more than half their customers and H&R sells them off, they will revisit this decision.
This discussion has been closed.