Imported Bank Transactions to match Invoice Payments?

graememoo2graememoo2 Member Posts: 1

Hi, I've been searching but cannot find anything on this topic.
I have linked my bank account and paypal, which have imported all the transactions correctly.
I have also created my first invoice. which is showing as "unpaid"

How then do I allocate an imported transaction as the payments for an invoice?
All I can see is to make a new manual payment, which adds a duplicate to the bank account.

*** RESOLVED ***
I found it! under category for the payment, it had auto categorised the payment as "Sales" I had to recategorize it as a "Payment received for an invoice in wave"
Perhaps this could be added to your video which skips over manual/imported payment allocation :)

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I'm glad to hear things turned out fine, @graememoo2! Let us know if you need help with anything else.

• OndreOndre Member Posts: 1

Hey I have the same problem, but even-though I have "unpaid" invoices showing in my sales tab, there is "no results" showing under "payment for an invoice in wave". Please help

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ondre.

Is your bank account in the same currency as your invoice? That might be your issue, as you can only link transactions to invoices with matching currency. Is this your case?

• vinvin Member Posts: 2

Hey @alexia that is exactly my problem - what can I do to get around that? It seems like a simple thing to just connect a payment to an invoice...most of my clients are overseas so I feel like this might be a bit of an issue moving forward...

Thanks!

• CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin

@vin For the moment, managing invoices in multiple currencies in this way is not straightforward. Learning more about your experience is helpful and very much appreciated. I can suggest another workaround:

Let's say you have a Canadian business and the Invoice is for $2000 USD. You received this payment to your CAD Checking account, and you received the deposit converted to CAD.

You could note down the details of the transaction (the exchange rate at which the deposit was converted), and manually add a payment to your invoice. When adding a payment to your invoice, enter the USD amount and adjust the exchange rate to reflect what you received from the bank. This should resolve the issue with invoices appearing to be overdue when they are in fact paid.

The issue then is that you'd need to remove the duplicate transaction for the deposit (so as to not duplicate your income), which would result in the record not reflecting that of your bank. I'd recommend speaking with your accountant to see which method they would suggest that you use.

• sunnyt7sunnyt7 Member Posts: 20

Hey @Charlotte / @Alexia ,

I'm having a similar issue. I have a Canadian business and the invoice is for $2000 USD. However, even if I receive a payment in USD to a USD bank account, I still don't have the option to link it to the invoice. "Payment for an invoice" just doesn't show up in the categories. Any ideas?

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @sunnyt7, when you mark the invoice as paid in this case, and the receiving account is the USD account, Wave should automatically be generating the transaction associated with the invoice, and you shouldn't need to categorize it against an invoice. That being said, if you're waiting for the bank transaction to be pulled into Wave, then the best option would still be to mark the invoice as paid manually, but have that money paid into a USD Money in Transit account (you can generate this in Accounting > Chart of Accounts). Once the bank payment comes in, instead of marking it as an invoice, you'd instead choose 'Transfer from Bank, Credit Card, or Loan' and then your USD Money in Transit as the origin account.

• OlegTOlegT Member Posts: 5

I have the same issue - "Payment received for an invoice in wave" does not show in the categories in my transactions. THe invoice is unpaid, the currency is the same as in the transaction...

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@OlegT Hmm, that is strange. Generally speaking, when you go to categorize income transactions from Accounting > Transactions, the first option should be 'Payment Received for an Invoice in Wave.' Do you mind sending us a screenshot of the menu that pops up when you select 'Choose a Category' on the Transactions page? I've attached a screenshot of mine to show you what I mean.

We can look into this from there. The only other thing I can suggest is that you might want to try clearing your cache and cookies! Sometimes browser issues can get in the way of Wave doing what it needs to do!

• SkafteSkafte Member Posts: 34

Hi @ChelseaK, @Samd, @Charlotte,

Hope you are well.

I'm experiencing this issue as well. I've imported transactions from a CSV file and I cannot split one transaction/payment so that it covers two Wave invoices. The currency is the same, but the invoices do not appear under "Payment Received for an Invoice in Wave".

Can you help me, please? I can record a video and send it to you in a DM if that's helpful at all.

Many thanks!

• SkafteSkafte Member Posts: 34

Hi again guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I've worked it out!

I wasn't aware that invoices need to be marked as unpaid in order for them to show up under "Payment Received for an Invoice in Wave".

Just mentioning it here so that you don't have to waste your time responding to me and so that everyone else can find the answer here should they have the same problem.

Cheers!

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

@Skafte Thanks for letting everyone know what the solution was! Glad you were able to figure it out :smile:

• patbell101patbell101 Member Posts: 13

No wonder I cannot do this. I don't have "Payment Received for an Invoice in Wave" I tried adding it but can only put it under Income whcih is not where it lists in the example. Plus it doesn't work.ie shows nothing invoice related

• patbell101patbell101 Member Posts: 13

Some further tests on a dummy account. It seems that having different currency transactions is the problem. "Payment received for an invoice in Wave" (plus others) do appear when the txn is in the business currency. So much for multicurrency. Any fixes so I can manage the foreign currency invoice payments?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @patbell101 . Looks like I answered this in your other post. Feel free to take a look: https://community.waveapps.com/discussion/5880/transactions-and-invoice-reconciliation#latest