Options

Updated Deadline: Accounts That Cannot Be Upgraded

BenRajabiBenRajabi Member Posts: 13 admin

Update - April 30, 2020:

In February, we let you know that your Wave account cannot be updated to the new version of Wave Accounting and that your account would close on May 31.

August 31, 2020, is the new closure deadline for your account. Before this date, you’ll need to open a new Wave account and move your data. We will reach out again before August 31 to remind you.

We initially chose the May deadline to give you plenty of time to complete your tax filing. However, the last month has seen unprecedented mandatory closures of public and private spaces and extended tax filing deadlines in most jurisdictions. Due to these unusual circumstances, we have extended the original account closure deadline.

If you have questions or need help as you move your data to a new Wave account, our team is available here in the forum to guide you.

Thanks for being a part of the Wave Community.

Ben Rajabi
Director, Product

Hi Wavers,

As you know, we’ve been updating Wave accounts to the new version of Wave Accounting for more than two years, and have reached the conclusion of that project.

Unfortunately, a very small number of users were unable to be automatically upgraded to the new version of Wave Accounting. If your account was impacted, you have received an email from our team on February 25th, 2020 letting you know.

As a result, any accounts remaining on the old platform will be closed on May 31, 2020. If you plan to continue using Wave, you will need to open a new Wave account and move your data before this date. If your account is impacted, we’ll reach out again to remind you before the deadline.

You can follow our guide here to move your existing data to a new Wave account, or export your data. We worked hard to upgrade as many accounts as possible, and know that this announcement will come as a disappointment to you.

We know you’ll have questions about moving your data to the updated version of Wave, and our team is available here in the forum to answer so please ask below and we’ll do our best to help.

Thank you for letting Wave be a part of your business.

Comments

• Options
    MavicMavic Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I got this email from Kirk and followed the guidance you shared, but then I found that the new Wave account has the same look & feel like my current one which about to be closed by May 31.

Is it possible that my current account already been updated?

How can I confirm this?

Thanks
  • Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Mavic

It looks like the account which you're reaching out about has yet to be updated unfortunately. You'll notice that the Accounting > Transactions page is drastically different. Have a look there and let us know if you see any differences.

• Options
    MavicMavic Member Posts: 5

Thank you @BarsinA
    Yes there is a big different.
    I will need to work hard to move all the data now...
    Anyhow, Wave is a great app and thank you all the great service!

• Options

Thanks @Mavic

Let us know if you have other questions!

• Options
    JennycJennyc Member Posts: 13

DEAD LINKS: on Export and Upgrade instructions above.
    PLEASE PROVIDE WORKING LINKS

Currently move existing data link ("here") http://https//support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029600711
    Currently export data link ("Export your data") http://https//support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017973892-How-to-export-your-accounting-data

• Options
    JennycJennyc Member Posts: 13

FOR THOSE LESS FORTUNATE THAN ME ... please JUST LOCK ACCOUNTS in August. DON'T DELETE THEM!!

While I'll be fine with the Aug deadline, I only found out because I logged in to do my taxes. The extension tax deadline is usually June, I think it would have been unusually cruel to delete accounts RIGHT BEFORE THAT STANDARD DEADLINE which so many make use of, even outside of a Pandemic.

As it is, with August deadline, over 100,000 families are dealing with bereavement. Many many more are dealing with illness and disability from COVID19? do you really think everyone will prioritize taxes this year and be all done and dusted, ready for you to DELETE ALL THEIR DATA in August??? Just lock the accounts so they can upgrade or download their data.

I checked back on my email notifications. I don't have ANYTHING that told me you were going to DELETE MY ACCOUNT. In fact I had an email that said I hadn't logged in for a while (right I do all this once a year at tax time), so you were going to stop emailing me.

I regularly pay estimated taxes and file an extension. So Really LUCKY FOR ME that COVID19 came along so you wouldn't delete the 20y worth of banking information I uploaded and organized over the last 5 years in Wave JUST BEFORE TAX EXTENSION DATE. That would have set me with the task of doing my complex multi-currency taxes in 2 countries while simultaneously manually upgrading and learning the new Wave.

The other thing that your notification was astonishingly weak on was the disabling of foreign bank feeds. Yes I got ONE email (you can't rely on a single email to get an important message out - spam filters, people's busy lives etc) , and I just re-read it: It is long-winded and talks about EU regulations for a few paragraphs, but really doens't make clear up top WHAT THE IMPACT was going to be on me. ie "YOUR BANK FEEDS WILL STOP WORKING". So I didn't see it's relevance. Therefore, 8 months after that message when I logged in for taxes, I wasted time trying to figure out why Banking had DISAPPEARED from my screen, and then finally doing the manual upload from my bank.

Now come to find Banking is also broken for US Accounts. I have no idea why. No notification anywhere. ARGGGHHHHH

I fear a culture that doesn't value customer experience has become ingrained at Wave and that worries me for Wave going forward. I will happily pay $200 a year to you or to a company who really considers customer impacts in all their planning. In the meantime,

The "We're deleting your account in August" notice (on Wave Login) says tells me "As you know we've been working on a new version of Wave" I did not know. There are no emails to tell me. I've posted in the forums before about featurs, and nowhere was there an anwer, "It'll be in the new upcoming version".

All so frustrating. I'm just glad I'm here in time to sort this out. Many will be too late. PLEASE CONSIDER THEM and RECONSIDER your account deletion strategy. It will not harm you to lock accounts for a year while people migrate out.

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Jennyc , I'm sorry that you weren't aware of the account closure deadline and I'm very relieved to hear that you are now aware of it (with what I hope is enough time to prepare). We do try and give our users ample amounts of warning when we make changes that affect their account or the way that they use Wave and if this isn't the case with your situation, then you have my apology.

I'd be more than happy to pass all of this feedback on to our team so that when they're making decisions that are weighted heavily on our users, this is a consideration for them.

In regards to US banks, they do still connect through our bank connections but if you're having any specific trouble, please reach out to our Support team by submitting a ticket and one of our agents would be more than happy to look into the problem for you.

• Options
    babzonjaybabzonjay Member Posts: 10

Hello team Wave,
    I did not get a notification that our account should be upgraded. Should I still go-ahead to export and move my data? I will appreciate your prompt response. Thank you very much.

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @babzonjay , thanks for reaching out. It's possible that your account might not need to be updated, depending on the interface you're seeing; if it's the new interface, it means your account is already on the latest platform! On your transactions page, does it look like the page pictured here? If not, then that means your account is not able to be upgraded, and so you will want to go ahead and export your data as per this guide.

• Options
    babzonjaybabzonjay Member Posts: 10

Hi CallieP
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Here's what I found

• Options
    JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@babzonjay From your screenshot it actually looks like you have already been upgraded to the newest version of Wave! Seeing as your second question is not quite related to this discussion, I've split it into its own discussion and will be helping you there instead! For your reference you can find that here

• Options
    AriesAries Member Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

It looks like I just found out that my account was not migrated to the new system. I compared the screenshot and i am still on the old Wave accounting.

I tried to click a few of the links for the migration and export guide and i have been unable to load the pages. Is there an updated link to show me how do i migrate it to the new wave.

Thanks,

Aries

• Options
    AriesAries Member Posts: 5

Hi @CallieP , I tried clicking the link on exporting data guideline and migrating to the new wave and the link doesnt work? has the link been updated?

Thank You

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Aries! Thanks for reaching out here. Can you post some screenshots of what this is looking like on your end? We'd love to try to help as best as we can here! Any information around what you see when you attempt to click that link in the guideline around exporting data would also be beneficial!

• Options
    Tawhid_3STawhid_3S Member Posts: 6

Dear Support team,
    I have received a message"Account closure deadline extended to August 31". After following the instructions i have created new account. but when tried the export all transactions for excel from Data Export, i didn't get any mail. Even with google sheet plug in, I am not getting any data. My Account Name is 3S_P.
    with regards,
    Tawhid

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @Tawhid_3S , thanks for your message! Hm, I see that there are two email addresses listed on your account here. I wonder if it's possible that the Data Export is sending to the other email address than the inbox you're currently checking? If you check that inbox and you're still not seeing any Data Exports, please reply here to let us know and we can look into it further with you!

• Options
    Hello, @CallieP ,
    My account owner mail id is t_r_razzaque@yahoo.com. and when i'm pressing export, the message is showing that, an email will be sent to mentioned mail id. And i'm not getting it. Please look into the issue.

Tawhid
    3S
    edited July 23, 2020
  • Options

Dear @CallieP,
    I have checked my other mail account. I haven't received any mail regarding wave export data. Is there any paid service for automatic up-gradation, i am maintaining this account since 2013-2014 i guess. and Ledgers, Payment Histories, Invoice histories are very important for me. It would be much appreciated, if it had been up-graded automatically. Waiting for your reply.

Tawhid
    3S

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Tawhid_3S! Unfortunately it doesn't appear that anything has attempted to send to that t_r_razzaque@yahoo.com email. Could you let us know what any alternative mail accounts you have might be, in order for us to check into this further?

• Options
    HKDESIGNHKDESIGN Member Posts: 4

Based on the screen shots of the transaction page, my account was updated months ago, but now it seems to have gone back to the old look. I am not sure how that is possible.

I also did not receive any notification before as my account was upgraded, now today I log in and am greeted with account deletion message.

Also all my transactions/files after October 24, 2019, are all gone.

What on earth is going on?!

edited July 27, 2020
  • Options
    Tony_shoregateTony_shoregate Member Posts: 5

I don't know what's going on, as this is the first I heard about the upgrade requirement. The links to the instructions do not work. And now when I access my account, it is a total mess. No invoices past March 2020 are showing. Income statement for 2020 shows NO DATA. I am very worried that my accounting records are now compromised. Hopefully this is a simple fix or I'm in a big mess trying to piece my records back onto shape. Can anyone explain what happened?

• Options

@Tony_shoregate

Same thing happened to me. But also all transactions from November last year missing.

• Options

@ConnorM ,
    My secondary Mail id is tawhidrazzaque@gmail.com. I haven't received anything in this mail id as well.
    Tawhid
    3S

• Options
  • Options

@ConnorM sir, is there any update?

• Options
    webWyowebWyo Member Posts: 1

I just noticed that the account will be closed as of August end. How can I move my data to the new one? The link for "how to" seem to be dead. Please provide the link to "how to" page asap. Thank you.

• Options

Hey there folks

@Tawhid_3S @webWyo @HKDESIGN @Tony_shoregate

I just wanted to go over the history of Wave's transactions pages. Below are three different images of the transactions pages we've seen over the last couple of years.

1. This is our oldest existing transactions page. This is what we are sunsetting when we discuss "account migration" here in our community. Essentially we needed to move people over to a whole other accounting system and those who we cannot move over needed to have their accounts closed permanently because the transactions are far too close to migrate over.

2. This is our present day transactions page. If you have this transactions page you may have received a notification of your account being close in error. Our apologies about this!

3. Our third and newest beta transactions page is launching to a small selection of users. See below for what this looks like:

With regards to this notification, it shouldn't affect your account as long as your transactions page looks like image 2 or 3. I would still download a retrospect of your transactions page under Settings (bottom left) > Data export.

Now with regards to your transactions missing, this is a bit more difficult to diagnose through our community, so I would recommend reaching out to our support team and filing a ticket explaining in detail what transactions you might be missing and what your reports look like now! Typically the data export should contain all transactions historically so try reconciling your transactions again the data export!

• Options

@Barsin
    As you said, I was upgraded to current page but received email in error.
    But, that doesn't explain why some of my info was missing for about 4-6 hours.
    Everything went back to normal after.
    No explanation has been offered, and it sent me in a panic to try and retrieve as much info as I could in the 3 hours I was struggling.
    I eventually downloaded QuickBooks and strongly considering a switch over at the end of this financial year.
    I don't mind paying for the programme, especially if you offered support. When I was going through my trauma there was no one to talk, and no one to help. The robot frustrated me even more.

• Options

Hey there @HKDESIGN

My apologies that your experience with our migration was nerve wracking, I totally understand how this could create a panic and I'm glad to hear that things resolved themselves.

At this point it is difficult to decipher why transactions may have disappeared in your account, but I understand that our migration created a series of journal entries called migration adjustment entries which may have shown the amounts moving from one account to another.

Our previous version of Wave allowed for some transactions to occur that weren't technically up to GAAP standards. So when we migrated to the newest version, some of those transactions may have been converted to adjustment entries appearing in your account.

We understand and acknowledge that migration for some users was a scary process and I do apologize for this concern of yours.

This discussion has been closed.