Wave detecting wrong Firefox version

TLCINC_18TLCINC_18 Member Posts: 19

Hi,
Each time I log into waveapps.com I get a warning that my browser version (Firefox 68) is no longer supported. But I'm on Firefox 74.0, Mac OS Catalina. Can I dismiss this warning message for good?

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @TLCINC_18, that's definitely an odd one. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache and cookies? I'm wondering if you're being served an old/cached version of a message that you shouldn't be seeing.

• TLCINC_18TLCINC_18 Member Posts: 19

Yes I did do that. This is always the default suggestion for troubleshooting, and in this case it doesn't make a difference. I'm wondering if it's a blocked tracker of some kind. To be honest I'm surprised at how many trackers uBlock Origin is blocking on waveapps.

I have a fresh install of Firefox 74.0.1 on MacOS Catalina. I still get the warning page when logging in that "My browser is no longer supported." Waveapps thinks I'm on Firefox 68. I disabled my Ad & Tracking blockers and have NO add-ons running.

Maybe it's how I have Firefox setup? It is detecting cdn.amplitude.com, js.hs-analytic.net, and connect.facebook.net as the only things it's blocking.

Although I gotta say when I have Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin running they're detecting 29 trackers on waveapps!! That's a lot of stuff users don't want.

[Edit] I did some more testing. I don't know what's up but I visited https://detectmybrowser.com/ and it also thinks I'm running version 68.

edited April 7, 2020

Well I figured it out. Firefox has a setting to resist online fingerprinting. This feature basically tries to mask your browser by making you look as generic as possible online, so you look like everyone else. Makes it harder to uniquely fingerprint you and follow your activity across websites. It also happens to make you look like Firefox 68 to websites.

So if I look like Firefox 68, but I'm using v75, I assume all features will work, just have to put up with the nag screen?

edited April 7, 2020
  • NicoletteBNicoletteB Member Posts: 122 ✭✭

@TLCINC_18 Lots to unpack here but thanks for giving out a detailed troubleshooting workflow! From what we understand, Wave is detecting your browser as Firefox68, which we know to be outdated. Because of this, decreased functionality or unintended errors are likely to happen. We don't know of a method of how to remove this masking but we would recommend trying out Chrome for future use so that you can experience Wave in its entirety without issue!

@NicoletteB said:
    @TLCINC_18 Lots to unpack here but thanks for giving out a detailed troubleshooting workflow! We don't know of a method of how to remove this masking but we would recommend trying out Chrome for future use so that you can experience Wave in its entirety without issue!

You can change the settings in Firefox here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/content-blocking

I changed my settings to turn off fingerprinting on Waveapps and it now sees my correct version of Firefox (currently Firefox 75). Also, instead of Chrome, use Brave. It's a privacy-oriented version of Chrome without all the Google tracking and still uses the Chrome Extension Store because it's Chromium-based. https://brave.com/

edited April 14, 2020