[Canada] COVID-19 payroll updates

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

image[Canada] COVID-19 payroll updates

As updates surrounding COVID-19 continue to develop, the media is reporting on proposed legislation as it relates to payroll. Wave is closely monitoring these updates to give you the most up to dat...

Read the full story here

edited March 23, 2020 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• CatWhalen1CatWhalen1 Member Posts: 2

Well done - easy to follow with corresponding links. Thank you for clearing this big forest of some of the trees. It helps alleviate some of the stress and anxiety. Your work is very important right now.

• PascalPascal Member Posts: 3

Clear and user friendly. Thanks!

• marinaemmarinaem Member Posts: 4

Thank you Wave for staying on top of this. Can you help clarify how the subsidy will work through Wave? When an employer runs payroll through Wave does it mean only 25% of the qualifying amount is withdrawn from the employer's bank account but employees are paid their full salary? Please advise.

• QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

Hi @marinaem, thank you for bringing this up! The way the subsidy is applied through Wave is through your tax remittance payments to the government. The subsidy is applied to the income tax deduction of your remittance payment, and your employees will be paid their full salary - the wage subsidy will not affect their paystubs. Because this Help Center article is quite dense with information, this information may have gotten lost. Here is the section of the article that explains this:

When you approve your payroll, you will see the subsidy amount in your Payroll Summary with the line item “CRA Temporary Payroll Subsidy for Employers.” You will see the subsidy appear on the Employer Portion of the Summary as this only affects the employer remittance, but do note that it will only be deducted from the income tax portion of the remittance - your Canada Pension Plan (CPP) contribution and Employment Insurance (EI) premiums will not be affected.

• marinaemmarinaem Member Posts: 4

Hi. I ran my payroll yesterday (March 30) through WAVE and did not see the line item “CRA Temporary Payroll Subsidy for Employers.” Does this mean there was an error in the WAVE payroll?

• LucielLuciel Member Posts: 8

Hi Wave, I see the change through the details of Wave payroll. However, when I ran my payroll today, Wave still withdrew the original amount without deducting the taxes subsidy, which was different from the details I saw from the approved payroll. Can you please look into it?

edited March 31, 2020
  • htracstarhtracstar Member Posts: 1

Thank you for all this information, very helpful at this time.

• QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

Hi @htracstar, Thank your feedback on this! Please feel free to check in on this Help Center post as we continue to post updates on our COVID-19 response.

@marinaem Thank you for specifying your issue her! I can see that you have an ongoing correspondence with our General and Payroll Support teams, so please be on the lookout for a response regarding our Wage Subsidy calculation on our payroll. Because of the sensitivity of the information included in your Payroll calculations, it would be in your best interest to followup on your request through our private ticket channels as you have been doing.

Hi @Luciel, thanks for participating in our comments section here! I also see that you have contacted our agents via chat regarding your payroll calculation. Please continue to update us via our private ticket channels if you require a followup or would like to include other pertinent details that may help get you sorted out on this.