How do I choose an initial invoice number starting point

JohnBiztecJohnBiztec Member Posts: 2

Hi,

As the title says... How do I choose an initial invoice number starting point but specifically for recurring invoices. I don't want invoices to start at 0001 or similar. If I could choose for the first recurring invoice to say something like 56435 and then other invoices would increase sequentially from that number it would be great.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @JohnBiztec , The invoice/estimate numbering pattern will always increase from the previous sequence set. For example, if you create an invoice or estimate (let's say 0019) and create another, the digit at the end of the sequence will increase by 1 (0020). If you add letters, the final digit will always increase by one as well (Name 0021, etc.), and letters cannot be customized (i.e. the same letters will carry over in the next invoice).

Recurring invoices will also follow the sequential order from regular invoices. If you create 5 regular invoices numbered 5-10, the next recurring invoice that generates will be invoice 11. With this being said, you can't actually set the recurring invoice sequence as it follows what's listed above. Your alternative to this would be to have the invoice generated before it's sent out, and you change the number and then send it out automatically, but this may defeat the purpose of having the recurring invoice.

Please note: when the system generates the next invoice number, it will always take the largest number ever used in the past and increment that by one. For example, if you started with 10000, and then changed it to 0001, the next invoice number will be 10001 (and not 0002).

• JohnBiztecJohnBiztec Member Posts: 2

Thanks Alex. So I created a fake client and then created a fake non-recurring invoice so I could set the number to 90850 and emailed it to one of our email accounts. I assume that any recurring invoices from now on will increment the invoice number by one (eg. 90851, etc.) which solves my issue. I just didn't want invoices starting at 0001. I assume the above will work perfectly. If not, please correct me.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @JohnBiztec

A recurring invoice simply creates a new invoice in your all invoices page. Picture it more like a generator of the invoices you already create. So if you create a regular invoice in between that recurring invoice it will be added to your total collective invoice numbers. They all share the same incremental numbering sequence.