sales tax needs to be calculated on subtotal

ktrowktrow Member Posts: 9

I just recreated an invoice from Quckbooks Self-Employed Online and the sales tax is calculated as $0.02 higher since the sales tax seems to be calculated on each line item separately rather than the subtotal. I have already sent the invoice from QB to the customer, so I need to have them consistent. I cannot be sure as to what method is most accurate or required by tax agencies, but I would expect that sales tax needs to be calculated on the subtotal. Could anyone please clarify and let me know if this can be changed anywhere in preferences?

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @ktrow

When it comes to tax rounding at Wave, this process is completed on a line-item level. What this means is that each product line will calculate the tax, round to 2 decimal places, then do the next product line. At the end, it will add up all the line item tax calculations and plug that in as a total tax in your invoice. Unfortunately, there is no way around that in our software at this time.

As a potential temporary workaround, feel free to add/discount a new invoice item for $0.01 to charge the right amount and mark it as an adjustment entry for the time being.

• PreciseTempPreciseTemp Member Posts: 1

I second this users frustration. This is a flawed way of calculating sales tax. As I demonstrated to the support team if I have bunch widgets under the sales tax threshold it will calculate no tax at all.

This really should be changed to calculate sales tax from the subtotal of taxable items.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @PreciseTemp! Thanks for leaving your feedback here in the Community. I can see that you'd discussed this with our support team, and I do apologize for the inconvenience at present around this workflow.