minor overpayment

StephanKStephanK Member Posts: 12

An international customer overpaid by $0.47 January 2019.
Never business with him again.
How do I best get this out of the books? It is correct on the bank account and on the invoice as an overpayment.

Comments

• StephanKStephanK Member Posts: 12

The payment was in USD, so I can not handle it through the exchange rate

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @StephanK

Can you elaborate on what you mean by it being correct in the bank account and on the invoice as an overpayment? Was there a discrepancy between how much landed in your account versus how much the invoice is for?

You could in theory always edit the invoice to reflect what the actual payment was. If you select the invoice > Then select "edit invoice" > You should be able to make an adjustment to the invoice amount.

Thanks for your answer.
    However, my legal department would kill me if I changed an invoice after I sent it out.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by it being correct in the bank account and on the invoice as an overpayment? Was there a discrepancy between how much landed in your account versus how much the invoice is for?

Instead of $3150 $3153 arrived.

• JessGJessG Member Posts: 54 admin

@StephanK For the discrepancy (and depending on how this payment was collected) the options are either to refund it or to edit the invoice by adding a line item as a discrepancy. Essentially you can't just write off the money unless it leaves the account. If unable to refund it, the only option is to edit the invoice in order to reflect an overpayment.

This article goes over the option here: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000278846-Accounting-for-overpayments

Thank you very much!

• JessGJessG Member Posts: 54 admin

@StephanK With pleasure! Hope you're staying safe out there - cheers!