Emailing receipts isn't working - or is it just taking a long time to process?

NancyatDSNancyatDS Member Posts: 1

I emailed 2 receipts early this afternoon (forwarding receipt emails from a vendor), and they showed up almost immediately. I then was emailing a bunch of amazon receipts to get them into the system, but none of them are showing up. It's been an hour since I sent the first one, and I haven't gotten any received message. Should I just wait longer, or is there something wrong? This is the same process I always use, but it's never taken so long to show up. I've confirmed that the emails are sent from my wave linked email account. i'm not getting any failure messages or anything, so I assume they are processing, but I'd think they'd show up by now. Help?

Comments

• PAJPAJ Member Posts: 1

I am having the exact same issue. Have you gotten a response?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @NancyatDS and @PAJ! Thanks for reaching out here. Are you both still seeing these issues with your emailed receipts? If so, I'd love to hear a little more about what you're seeing, and get any further context around this from you!

• jlevi001jlevi001 Member Posts: 2
    I can’t get any receipts to show in the system when emailing them. I have previously emailed receipts and it worked 100% of the time. Something has changed.
  • NancyatDSNancyatDS Member Posts: 1

Receipts definitely don't work UNLESS you have an image in the email. they used to work regardless of whether you had an image in the email. I've taken to screenshotting the receipt, then pasting the screenshot in the email before I send it. It's at least a work around, but I do wish they'd fix this.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @jlevi001

I'm not sure if you've been trying to forward your receipts, however currently our forward a receipt email to receipts@waveapps.com does not work. You will need to download the receipt, attach it to a new email and send one receipt at a time to receipts@waveapps.com.

Hope this was the method you are using but reach out to our support team via ticket if you're still having troubles sending your receipts.

• AntonyUpwardAntonyUpward Member Posts: 17 ✭✭

Thanks @BarsinA for your reply above...
    #
    And.... I just looked at the recently updated help for receipts... hoping that the functionality had improved since the original launch of this conceptually very cool feature.

But, at least for me, the five restrictions listed in the help on whether Wave will accept a receipt or not make this functionality of no use in practice... despite the fact I'd love to be able to get receipts into Wave by email...

Let me review the five restrictions one by one...

1. Send one receipt per email (we do not recognize multiple attachments per email).
    << I kind of get this... but if you happen to have 5 PDF receipts why can't I put them in one email?

2. The email must to be sent from your primary email address.
    <<I kind of get this... but this is very inflexible... can't we specify the address(s) that can send receipts to Wave in our account settings? i.e. primary address and the emails of other people who can send in receipts

3. Send your receipt as a new email – do not forward receipts you've received in your email.
    <<This is the one I don't get. Nearly every receipt arrives as text in an email. Now I have to print that email to PDF and then create new email, attach the PDF and ensure my "send from" account is my primary wave account, and then send.

Also last time I tried this I think I recall Wave didn't like a PDF of the email... and I had to mess about to only include in the PDF the part of the email that contained the receipt info! Even more work.

Surely in 2020 it must be possible for us to simply be able to forward an email to Wave without having to go thru the process above...

Right now these additional steps mean the receipts by email functionality is not worth the effort for me.

4. The receipt must be an attachment.
    << Same point as above. Why? Nearly every receipt arrives as formatted text ... not a PDF or image. Surely in 2020 it must be possible for us to forward an email to Wave without having to go PDF the email first.

5. The receipt must be in one of the supported formats: PDF, jpg/jpeg, tiff/tif, bmp and png.
    Same point as above. Why? Nearly every receipt arrives as formatted text ... not a PDF or image. Surely in 2020 it must be possible for us to forward an email to Wave without having to go PDF the email first.

So in summary... receipts by email is an awesome idea... but the functionality at present just doesn't make it useful in practice. So, when will the receipt functionality be useful in the real world when nearly every receipt arrives as text in an email?

P.S. And now I find that alot of other users have made essentially the same points... https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622136-How-to-email-your-receipts-to-your-Wave-account - so how about getting the engineering team to tells us when we can expect this feature to be available for testing?

edited August 16, 2020