Options

Backup/Restore *whole* account?

pingopingo Member Posts: 5

Hello,

I'd like to request a feature to backup/export the whole account not just parts of it and be able to import this backup and restore the whole account to the backed up state.

We have a new accountant who is still learning wave apps and can potentially cause a huge mess. We would like to be able to revert to a previous backup of all data on a wave account so no matter what the accountant clicks, after the restore the state will be as if the accountant never touched anything.

Is it possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @pingo! Thanks for reaching out here. While Wave doesn't currently have a way for the entire account to be exported/restored, what you do have the ability to do is navigate to Settings > Data Export, and pull all of the transactional information from there. If something goes funky with the transactions screen, it would at least help to have that as a backup as well!

• Options
    pingopingo Member Posts: 5

Since there is an export feature, why is there no import feature as well? There is another use case, it would also be great if I could import my real transaction into a "sandbox" account to try and see the consequences of various changes in wave. This would boost the speed of learning about wave in general and also about new features being added.

• Options
    StannerStanner Member Posts: 5

Has anything changed with being able to Backup/restore since last year when this was originally written?

• Options
    KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @Stanner ,

At the moment, there is still no way to backup or restore data deleted from your Wave account i'm afraid. This is because we don't store any previous copies of your data in our servers, so once deleted, data can't be restored.

• Options
    KatieMFritzKatieMFritz Member Posts: 3

I back up my Wave data regularly. I recently deleted some old transactions (2018) that I thought were duplicates, but it turns out they weren't.

It was all in one Wave account, and I have a CSV export of the data that I made last week. But I can't seem to restore from that. I'd have to reformat the CSV to use the simpler template, or use Wave Connect. It would be a lot of formatting work and I'd lose a lot of additional columns from my backup.

Why can't I import the same data that I exported?