assigning a credit note to an invoice

ramtopsramtops Member Posts: 8

I issued an invoice to a client, and after some discussion, we had to reduce the amount billed, so I issued an invoice with a negative amount.

But now both the original and the negative are showing on the statement - how can I assign the negative invoice to the original, so they zero off in the outstanding sales ledger, please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @ramtops! Great question here! What I'd actually recommend doing, instead of issuing a new invoice with a negative amount, would be to create a negative line item within the discounted invoice itself. That would be an easier way of showing this within your accounts.

• ramtopsramtops Member Posts: 8
    Then my audit trail doesn’t match the client’s. They have had both invoice and credit note.
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @ramtops

Our system currently does have Credit Notes available at this time. So my apologies about this. Connor has given you a workaround in the meantime, but I would recommend checking out our other thread for more context or other potential ideas!

• ramtopsramtops Member Posts: 8

Thank you, but Connor’s solution, as I said, ruins my audit trail.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @ramtops , thanks for this feedback here.

As long as the item is explicitly named Credit Note or something similar, this should suffice in terms of record-keeping - but if you're concerned that this bookkeeping wouldn't be an accurate enough picture of your business for auditing reasons, an accountant will be best able to provide insight into alternative options.

As for what we here in the Community can offer in terms of workarounds, what @ConnorM and @BarsinA have mentioned is our best suggestion at this time. Thanks for understanding.