Options

Associating a USD received payment to USD invoice

DaManDaMan Member Posts: 20

Hi,

Probably a dumb question. I issued a USD invoice and received the exact amount in USD. My USD account is linked.

I am unsure how to now link the received payment line item to that invoice. For CAD invoices this has been happening automatically.

I have not done it, but so far I think my only option is to delete the payment received (which was imported from a connected USD bank account) and then manually record a payment for that invoice. Surely there is a better way?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @DaMan , thanks for your message! You should be able to categorize the bank imported transaction as 'Payment Received for an Invoice in Wave', and then, select the outstanding invoice. Otherwise, what you can do is as you described there - delete the bank import, and then mark the invoice as paid directly through the invoice!

• Options

Hi

That's the thing. If I choose "choose a category" next to that line item in my transactions, I don't see the option you mention. I checked every category and sub-category :(

Any ideas? Is there any way I can add that option?

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hey @DaMan , Thanks for messaging me back! Would you be able to send me a screenshot of what you're seeing there for category options? The entire screen would be best! (A screenshot below shows where it is located on my account.)

As well, when going to choose the category, can you confirm that you do have an outstanding invoice? Can you confirm that the transaction is an Income/Deposit? Let me know and we can go from there.

payment received

• Options

Hi

I did it the other way for now. When I get another invoice/situation I will update. That being said, I am quite sure that option was not present.

• Options

Hi @CallieP

I received a new USD payment for an invoice created in Wave. Once again, the option to allocate to an invoice created in Wave is not available. It seems to be an issue with USD invoices only.

See my screengrab. Just above the USD line item (the first line), I allocated a CAD payment just fine to a Wave created invoice.

Perhaps this is a bug that needs to be fixed?

• Options

anyone? :-)

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @DaMan

At this time Wave cannot attribute a payment to an invoice with a different currency. What we typically ask of our users to do is simply go to the the invoice and record a payment to their account. This will populate a new transaction in the currency of the invoice. The invoice will also be marked as paid. You can then delete the bank imported transaction that you were trying to associate with an invoice, as there will be redundant income transactions on your transactions page.

Our team is fully aware of this matter and we're looking into making sure that this type of transaction will be reconciled moving forward!

• Options

Got it. Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

• Options
    purplecarlospurplecarlos Member Posts: 2

This creates headaches for split transactions as explained on this post (step 6): https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000472306-How-to-account-for-transaction-fees

How do suggest I handle these? Mark the invoice as paid, delete the bank transaction and create a transaction for the fee?

@Barsin said:
    Hey @DaMan

At this time Wave cannot attribute a payment to an invoice with a different currency. What we typically ask of our users to do is simply go to the the invoice and record a payment to their account. This will populate a new transaction in the currency of the invoice. The invoice will also be marked as paid. You can then delete the bank imported transaction that you were trying to associate with an invoice, as there will be redundant income transactions on your transactions page.

Our team is fully aware of this matter and we're looking into making sure that this type of transaction will be reconciled moving forward!