[Canada] Statutory holiday pay requirements

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

image[Canada] Statutory holiday pay requirements

This article applies to Wave Payroll in Canada.
All employers in Canada need to be aware of the requirements for holiday pay. Each province and territory in Canada handles holiday pay a little diff...

Read the full story here

edited June 10, 2020 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• mishtcmishtc Member Posts: 18

You have an incorrect link for BC. That one goes to the Labour Relations Board, they state clearly on the linked page that they only deal with Union matters. For non-union workplaces, it's BC Employment Standards that should be linked here.

• CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hi @mishtc , thanks for bringing this to our attention! I've let the team know and we've updated this link.

• ADSADS Member Posts: 4

Removed comment - was looking at different information. Apologies.

edited July 10, 2020
  • BlueLogixBlueLogix Member Posts: 3

I would like to pay my employees Paid Time Off (mixture of sick and vacation above WA state minimum req.). I would also like to pay my employees for Holidays not worked which does not count as PTO. Is it possible to have PTO and Holiday as pay types on payroll to accurately record balances on check stubs? At minimum please add PTO because in the US we are allowed to combine sick and vacation accrual banks if they accrue at an amount above the state minimum. Thank you.

• KiahDKiahD Administrator Posts: 267 admin

Hey @BlueLogix !

I see you've reached out to our Payroll Team for advice on this issue via email. They have now responded with answers, so please take a look! If you have any further questions, please let the Payroll Team know, and they will be happy to assist you.

edited June 28, 2021
  • Endgrain_BooksEndgrain_Books Member Posts: 1

Based on the link included, my employee's worked holiday pay (BC business/work location) was not accurately calculated.

Their hire date was less than 30 calendar days, so they do not qualify for stat pay. This employee worked 8 hours on the stat holiday, which I entered on the timesheet, but had the following day off. 72 Hours total worked in the pay period.

Wave generated stat holiday pay at time and a half, which is incorrect. If the employee doesn't qualify for stat pay, and they work for the holiday, they are paid regular pay.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/statutory-holidays/qualify-for-statutory-holiday-pay

• cyclon79cyclon79 Member Posts: 1

Wave sucks as usual. No information on Civic Holiday in Ontario. Over 90% employer pay this to their employees. Probably Wave is cheeping out and not paying their employees for Civic Holiday and they think it does not exist.