SunTrust - Business Online - Credentials you provided are incorrect

chrisinvbchrisinvb Member Posts: 14

Posted: July 15, 2020

Issue:
My connection between Wave and SunTrust - Business Online has stopped connecting under the Connected Accounts section of Wave. I have logged into suntrust.com and accepted their new license agreement since they update the interface. However, I still get an error message about my login being incorrect.

Anyone else bank with SunTrust - Business Online and unable to import transactions into Accounting?

Error message:

I am still getting the following error message whenever I connect:

The credentials you provided are incorrect

Possible solution:
It seems that SunTrust Bank has just updated their web interface for their business banking. As a result, I think it has broken the connection from Wave to SunTrust Bank.

I suspect this might be an issue with the actual API and not my credentials.

edited July 15, 2020 in Bank Connections

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @chrisinvb

When it comes to these kinds of bank connection issues I usually recommend that you reach out to our team through a support ticket. They have a lot more insight into your bank account and can easily access data we may not have eyes on in the community. They'll also be able to escalate your issue to our third party data aggregator about your bank!

• chrisinvbchrisinvb Member Posts: 14
    Hi BarsinA,

Thanks.

I did exactly that and they have sent me this following message twice now from their canned response. I even offered to pay for technical support - just just replied with this same message.

-----------------
    Thanks for reaching out to Wave!

Millions of business owners around the world are using Wave’s *free* accounting software. To help each and every user as best as we can, our team has created a library of guides and FAQs, which you can find in our [Help Center](https://support.waveapps.com/).

If you’re unable to find the answers you’re looking for by *searching our articles by keyword* or reading through our [guides](https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/categories/115001116506-Guides), check out our online [Community Forum](https://community.waveapps.com/) where you'll have the chance to network, ask questions, share experiences, and learn from other entrepreneurs and Wave experts.

Thanks for choosing Wave!
    It seems they just go through every support ticket with the same response....

-----------
    Can I pay for support and can you actually answer this question without some can message?
    Hide quoted text

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, 1:04 AM Wave <support@waveaccounting2.zendesk.com> wrote:
    # Please type your reply above this line #
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to Wave!

Millions of business owners around the world are using Wave’s *free* accounting software. To help each and every user as best as we can, our team has created a library of guides and FAQs, which you can find in our [Help Center](https://support.waveapps.com/).

If you’re unable to find the answers you’re looking for by *searching our articles by keyword* or reading through our [guides](https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/categories/115001116506-Guides), check out our online [Community Forum](https://community.waveapps.com/) where you'll have the chance to network, ask questions, share experiences, and learn from other entrepreneurs and Wave experts.

Thanks for choosing Wave!
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @chrisinvb! It looks like you'd been hitting an error that had recently been affecting some of our users, preventing you from being able to properly reach out to our Support Teams. I can see that you've spoken with our Support Team and that your situation is being reviewed by the team right now. They will be in touch as soon as possible!

• seansseans Member Posts: 1

Hello, I have been using Waveapps for a long time.. Now that they have changed to Plaid suntrust connection is not working. The same issues the above user mentioned I am experiencing as well.
    I have tried to reachout to Plaid with no success.
    Connor did you find a solution for the issue?

I received a response finally from Wave support last week. TLDR... SunTrust integration is broken and could take a couple of months to fix. Some manual work around a listed below.

------------------------------
    Response from Wave Support:
    ------------------------------

I have heard back from our data provider with more of an update regarding the SunTrust connection. As suspected, you were correct that this error is based on the overall integration rather than the credentials you were using. Our data provider has escalated this case to their technical teams.

While it's encouraging that this is being worked on, the downside here is that based on the severity, the resolution could take six to eight weeks, and that is only an estimate. I understand this is not the news you are looking for and I wish I had more of a near-future fix to share. The issue is occurring between our data provider and the bank, rather than anything on your end.

The recommendation for now is to use one of two alternative methods for bulk-uploading your transaction data directly to your Accounting > Transactions page in the meantime:

- Upload bank and credit card statements
    https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208621556-Upload-bank-and-credit-card-statements

- Wave Connect, our free Google Sheets add-on
    https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020768272-Wave-Connect-Easily-import-and-export-data-with-Wave-s-Google-Sheets-add-on-

I will be receiving email notifications directly from our data provider with any updates as they come, and I am happy to follow up with you once things are in the clear, although that may not be until mid-to-late September.
  • chuckfachuckfa Member Posts: 8

I have the same issue since Suntrust did their 'upgrade' over the past week or so. I'm glad to hear that the techs on on it, but 6-8 weeks for a fix, really?

edited August 10, 2020
  • BRKBRK Member Posts: 2

Same issue here. Hope this is picked as a priority and fixed sooner than 6-8 weeks.

Hey there @chuckfa @BRK

I sincerely apologize about this bank connection issue. Our third party data aggregator, Plaid, can sometimes take up to 3 months before their data team works in tandem with the bank to fix their integration.

Typically what happens is that your bank may make some major updates to their website or their back end API. When this happens, our third party banking aggregator loses the connection and may need to establish a new one. You can imagine with thousands of banks making these updates our third party aggregator has a bit of a difficult time keeping up.

We have already sent the institution the need for an update, and are waiting on this to be fixed. Thanks so much for your patience.

• EddieJenningsEddieJennings Member Posts: 7

While this integration is broken, does this also mean that payments received from Wave invoices cannot be transferred to a Suntrust checking account?

• Patrick_McGinleyPatrick_McGinley Member Posts: 2

Hello fellow SunTrust banking customers like @EddieJennings @chuckfa @BRK @chrisinvb @seans etc

Now that Wave no longer supports SunTrust accounts, which have you chosen to do? Will you be inputting your data by hand from now on, or will you be changing to a different service other than Wave? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences either way so that I can try to make the best decision for me and my business.

@Patrick_McGinley - I've been waiting since July for them to fix it. We are now September 8th. The 3 months mark will be in October.

Option #1: I think you can manually import the data though by exporting first (CSV file) from Suntrust and importing it directly into Wave. Has anyone tried that?

Option #2: I'll be going elsewhere in November. Just need something to do my basic books for the tax year.

• BRKBRK Member Posts: 2

@Patrick_McGinley - I am planning to wait for some time. Do it manually till then. I have not tried the importing option but would be interested in knowing if someone has tried it.

@Patrick_McGinley @BRK @EddieJennings @chuckfa @BRK @seans - My work around worked well but not ideal.

I went into the 'Accounts' section of Suntrust.com (Business Online) and click on the 'Download' icon to the right of the transactions field.

After selecting a date range for the transactions (as shown in the picture above) that I last imported into Wave, I chose 'Quickbooks' format. It will download a QBO file.

After logging into Wave, I clicked on Accounting -> Transactions (Left menu bar). I then clicked 'More' on the right side of the screen and chose 'Upload Bank Statement'.

On the Upload a Bank Statement page, select the Quickbooks QBO file that you just exported from Suntrust and it imports.

Downside:

It did not seem to automatically categorize anything. I had to manually go through virtually ever transaction and categorize it.

My hope is that it'll sync automatically again once this bank connection issue is resolved but I can at least keep my records up to date - for now.

@Patrick_McGinley Sorry for the late response. Been busy. I don't have many transactions flowing right now, so manually entering them really isn't a problem. My biggest concern is the invoicing piece. From what I can see it appears that it's unaffected by this problem, but it would be nice for Wave to chime in an confirm that if I generate a new invoice, I can still have the funds transferred to my SunTrust account.

Hey there @EddieJennings

Wave has two different types of bank connections.

1. Banking > Connected accounts: Typically what happens is that your bank may make some major updates to their website or their back end API. When this happens, our third party banking aggregator loses the connection and may need to establish a new one. You can imagine with thousands of banks making these updates our third party aggregator has a bit of a difficult time keeping up. We have already sent the institution the need for an update, and are waiting on this to be fixed. At this present time I apologize I don't have an ETA for when that will be, but you should know that our team is working diligently to get this connection sorted out. Thanks so much for your patience.
    2. Settings > Payouts: Here you can check to see the payout account connection. This uses the direct deposit information to continue handling your invoice payments! This should still be in tact.

Hope this helps!

_BA

Thank you for confirming @Barsin I noticed the Payout connection appeared healthy, but it was nice to get the word from Wave itself. :) Also, I can understand the challenges of dealing with an API change.

• Patrick_McGinleyPatrick_McGinley Member Posts: 2

Anyone seen any repairs or fix yet for Wave's broken SunTrust link? I know @chrisinvb mentioned his has been broken since July. I was wondering if anyone's is fixed yet.

• mem23mem23 Member Posts: 17

Same issue!!!! Anyone hear any updates?

I have not been able to get it work yet - Wave communicating with SunTrust business online. I've just had them manually import everything.

@AlexL @Barsin @JamieD @JordanD PLEASE HELP this is a killer. It's been down since July. Is there no other service Wave can use for Suntrust? Why should we not go to another program b/c it's been since July and there was no email or anything alerting Suntrust users of this issue resolution other than your connection is down.

There were no updates etc or what do to do get around this issue. There are other accounting programs that are not having this issue so why is this a 3+ month issue? What is there no video or step by step on what we should do and some timeframes? Is there no communication with Plaid? Just confused and frustrated! There are A LOT of people that use Suntrust and for businesses larger than mine and depend on these entries to alleviate hours and hours of work, this is insane.

Sorry to be so intense here BUT come on. It's been a long time with no communication as I searched all of my emails and just shook my head. I LOVE Wave but do you all not care?

@chrisinvb @Patrick_McGinley @EddieJennings @BRK @chuckfa @BRK @seans

mem23 - I just went to Plaid, and posted the compatibility issue with WaveApps via their 'Support' section. Visit this link:

https://my.plaid.com/help/360043065494-troubleshooting-tips-for-connecting-your-financial-accounts-using-plaid

Click on Support and provide them with details. I think Wave's hands are tied as long as they aren't replying to this thread. They're at the mercy of Plaid. Thoughts?

@chrisinvb said:
    mem23 - I just went to Plaid, and posted the compatibility issue with WaveApps via their 'Support' section. Visit this link:

https://my.plaid.com/help/360043065494-troubleshooting-tips-for-connecting-your-financial-accounts-using-plaid

Click on Support and provide them with details. I think Wave's hands are tied as long as they aren't replying to this thread. They're at the mercy of Plaid. Thoughts?

Thanks for your input. I will go to that link and today I put in a support issue with Plaid. There must be some other service than Plaid as they have many competitors. My issue was that Wave sent nothing, no work arounds and I literally found out by searching this thread. My other "connection issue" emails allowed me to log in like everything was fine and every so often I would get another.

This is what Plaid told me. Unfortunately, the same thing as Wave.

Plaid on Sep 29
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Plaid! I'm sorry to hear you're running into an issue connecting your account.

I can confirm that there is a known issue we're seeing with our SunTrust - Business Online integration, which our team is currently working to address. When an issue like this occurs, it takes a bit of time to resolve, as we programmatically connect with banks and must adapt, test, and then deploy changes to our integrations with caution.

We are aware that this is less than ideal for users like you, and we are working on this, but unfortunately, I don't have an estimated time for when it might be resolved as it depends on many factors. That being said, I can update you as soon as I have more information!

In the meantime, I encourage you to reach out to the applications you use regularly (e.g. Wave) to explore alternative ways to connect your SunTrust Business account to their platform. They may offer manual options, external to Plaid's technology, that could help with this temporary disruption!

Best,

Plaid Support

@chrisinvb said:
    This is what Plaid told me. Unfortunately, the same thing as Wave.

Plaid on Sep 29
    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Plaid! I'm sorry to hear you're running into an issue connecting your account.

I can confirm that there is a known issue we're seeing with our SunTrust - Business Online integration, which our team is currently working to address. When an issue like this occurs, it takes a bit of time to resolve, as we programmatically connect with banks and must adapt, test, and then deploy changes to our integrations with caution.

We are aware that this is less than ideal for users like you, and we are working on this, but unfortunately, I don't have an estimated time for when it might be resolved as it depends on many factors. That being said, I can update you as soon as I have more information!

In the meantime, I encourage you to reach out to the applications you use regularly (e.g. Wave) to explore alternative ways to connect your SunTrust Business account to their platform. They may offer manual options, external to Plaid's technology, that could help with this temporary disruption!

Best,

Plaid Support

I got the EXACT same thing. Bummer!

• chuckfachuckfa Member Posts: 8

My Suntrust Business account link started working again last week. I did delete the old account and started fresh though. All is well for me now.

It is working again. Thanks, @chuckfa. Great community effort, everyone.

How I fixed my connection with Suntrust Business Online:

I went under 'Banking' -> 'Connected Accounts' and deleted the Suntrust account and then re-added it.

Hey @chrisinvb

Thanks for this update! Hope this works for everyones accounts.

@Barsin @chrisinvb @chuckfa I just tried it and it didn't work for me. I deleted Suntrust and tried to add under Business Online. Is it still working for you? Did it pick up where it left off or were there a lot of duplicates you had to fix?

THANKS!

@mem23 - I seemed to disconnect from Suntrust every week or so and I have to re-enter the credentials. However, it is working for me. Make sure you have a business account with Suntrust and your bank is set to "Suntrust - Business Online" as the account.

Good luck!