Accepting credit card payments on invoices in different currencies

houseofcrouchhouseofcrouch Member Posts: 2

Hi

I am in the UK, and I have Wave setup for my business in GBP.

I invoice in different currencies and I have my stripe account linked to my wave account with both a GBP and USD bank account to receive sales deposits.

However, if I try to invoice in USD I cannot switch on the credit card payment option and get error:

Credit card payments are turned off because the currency of this invoice (USD) does not match your business currency (GBP).
Credit card payments can be enabled only for invoices created in GBP.

Is there an alternative way for me to offer credit card payments to my USD clients?

Comments

• AccountsProAccountsPro Member Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm also interested in the answer to this, thanks.

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @houseofcrouch @AccountsPro

If you'd like to accept payments in Wave, your Wave account, Stripe account and invoice all have to be in the same currency.

If your business is in GBP, your US clients would not be able to see the "pay now" option if you invoice them in USD. However, if you bill them in GBP, they will be able to pay that invoice with a USD credit card. Our bank processor will automatically apply the conversion which may incur a forex conversion fee (this is from the bank's side not Wave's).

Hope this answers your question!

• houseofcrouchhouseofcrouch Member Posts: 2

Thanks, yes it does answer the question.

Would it be possible to raise it as a future enhancement?

In my case, I have a USD bank account (Transferwise) linked to my Stripe account, but you wouldn't even need to check that existed because Stripe will convert any currency to your default currency if you do not have bank details setup (albeit they charge a hefty fee for it!).

Or is there some other technical reason you cannot provide this?

As most of my customers are US-based it becomes awkward quoting in GBP and I'm just trying to make the process for the customer as easy as possible. Which at the moment means I raise a Wave invoice in USD (which I don't send), and then I have to go to my Stripe account and raise an invoice on their system so the customer then gets a request for USD with the option to pay by card in USD. Obviously, that is not very scalable so it would be great to do it all within Wave as I do for GBP invoices.

Thanks!

• AccountsProAccountsPro Member Posts: 103 ✭✭

@Barsin thanks, that works for me.

• JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey there @houseofcrouch ! I completely understand your concern here. At this time, you can only process payments in your businesses default currency. To be completely transparent here, building out this feature to accept currencies beyond your default currency is not currently on our product roadmap and it is unclear if or when this will be implemented. With that being said, this does not mean we will be dismissing your feedback as we may revisit this feature down the line so we appreciate you taking the time!