Options

Merge duplicate customers

John2020John2020 Member Posts: 4

I began a customer account in one name, and made an invoice (which was paid). I created another customer name for that customer, and all further transactions were made on the second name (the correct name). I just edited the names so they are up to date and the same (that is, I now have what appears to be two customers with the same name). How to merge the associated transactions and names, so that the customer statement properly shows the single customer account transactions and balance?

Comments

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @John2020

Thanks for your patience with this reply. There isn't a formal way of simply merging two identical customers in Wave.

What you'll need to do is give the customers unique names "John (old)" and "John (new)" then you'll need to head into John (old)'s previous invoices and change the customer over to John (new). Once you've moved over all transactions related to John (old), you should be able to archive this customer and then rename your John (new) to simply be John, if you wish.

Hope this makes sense! But don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

• Options
    DenisNotDennisDenisNotDennis Member Posts: 1

The answer provided is inaccurate! You can't change the customer on invoices that have been paid. So what's the solution? I have the same problem... I have duplicate customers that need to be merged in some way.

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Denis , you're correct, the solution above is if you haven't marked the invoices as paid yet or have removed the payment. Are these payments manual payments or were they made through Wave Payments?

Let us know!