Options

Sort and Filter Receipts

RoKaRoKa Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

I would like to be able to
Sort Receipts by Date, Category, Merchant, etc
and
Filter by Date range / Category etc. (similar to Transactions, but also ad an Update button).

What am I supposed to do with 2-3 years worth of receipts ? There will be 100s if not 1000s of receipts to look through if I need to verify something.

Side note: sometimes dates are interpreted the wrong way.
Day / month are being mixed up.

Thanks !

edited August 29, 2018 in Accounting Feature Ideas

Comments

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @KaPo, thank you for your feedback!

For the date/month being mixed up, can you show me an example? I can't seem to replicate it. Can you show me the invoice in the list, and what it looks like expanded?

Note that those receipts are not organized by receipt date, but by upload date, which might make the order appear a little strange.

• Options

Thanks @Alexia.
    I hope I can find it. Will post / upload here.
    I spotted 2 or 3 overall messed up dates out of maybe 500, but since I can't do filtering / sorting on receipts it's hard to tell how many are out there.
    I trust the bank download date more than the processed receipt.
    So far it is complicated to detect a messed up receipt date. I would come across some strange numbers and digging would reveal an orphan receipt without a bank transaction to merge to.
    The odds are I may have uploaded some receipt that OCR hasn't seen yet or simply just got confused by a wrinkle in the paper, or who knows what.

• Options

I found 3 receipts with wrong dates. @Alexia

Hope this helps.

• Options

And I've discovered 3 more receipts with wrong dates since the ones above. Which means my reports were wrong by hundreds $$$. I guess verifying the receipts means really-really verify and babysit the OCR. :(:'( For the number of formats of receipts out there, I guess it still does a decent job.

• Options

Hi @KaPo.

Oh, I'm never too far!

The OCR software tries to read the date as best it can, but given that different companies use different date formats, and that occasionally, it can't find a date at all, it doesn't always succeed. It can also vary depending on the quality of the receipt and of the camera. If it can't find the date, it will default to the receipt's upload date.

Luckily, this is a pretty simple fix. You can't change the date on those receipts, but you can change the dates of the transactions they created (which is the important part). With the date and the category in hand, tracking them down should be a fairly quick affair.

edited April 11, 2018
  • Options
    Chantal_OmodiagbeChantal_Omodiagbe Member Posts: 5

Hi Alexa. I read this thread with interest as I've had the same problem as other users. Just wondering if Wave has plans to fine- tune the receipt transaction function. I spent hours trying to reconcile receipts for my quarterly BAS reporting (Australian tax requirement) yesterday, and gave up. Now I'm doing this independently of WAVE and finding it faster to do in Excel, which I think is such a shame and a serious glitch in WAVE. Any developments would be great to hear. Thanks.

• Options

Hi @Chantal_Omodiagbe.

Thank you for your feedback. I don't have specific details to share about what's coming next for our Receipts page, but I'm more than happy to share your feedback with the product team.

• Options
    ParsnipsParsnips Member Posts: 3

Just jumping on the bandwagon that receipts page sort order is huge deal for me too. The rest of the software is great, but this is a big frustration and time waster for me to not be able to find what I need. Thx! :0)

• Options

Hi, @Parsnips,

That's completely fair. Would more interplay between the Transactions page and the Receipts page also work for you? I'm thinking of the ability to view receipts from the matching transaction directly instead of having to find it on the Receipts page.

• Options
    ParsnipsParsnips Member Posts: 3

Hi Alexia, Thanks for your note back. I think that could work just as well - I see that there is already the sort and filter option there. If a link to the image could be added, I think that would address most people's needs. It would be handy to have it on that receipts page if at all possible down the road just because if I'm about to add in a receipt that is perhaps a duplicate it is efficient to be able to have a quick peek on the receipts page while I"m there. That said, I know we can't have it all for free so a work around is really appreciated. :0)

• Options
    rwall88rwall88 Member Posts: 11

@Alexia I too would like to see a link to view receipts on the transaction within the transaction list page. I think that you used to have a link in a previous version.

• Options
    akumarakumar Member Posts: 2

I too struggle with not having search, filter & sort features with Wave Receipts tab. If Wave can built those features in, it will be a great help & time saver for my day to day bookkeeping.

edited October 28, 2018
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@rwall88 @akumar Thanks again for reaching out and leaving your feedback within this thread. We definitely have this feature on our radar and are hoping to have it implemented in the near future -- with that being said, we still don't have an ETA of when this will be available to our users. A lot goes into planning on our side when it comes to adding a new feature in Wave (making sure we have the right amount of resources, customer prioritization, etc), we will be sure to let all of our users know once an update to the Receipts page becomes available.

• Options
    AnthonyMAAnthonyMA Member Posts: 16

It can't be that difficult to put a sort on to the receipts page, can it? Just a date sort would be better than nothing.

• Options
    ChristineChristine Member Posts: 6

Hi,

Currently, user can only filter the receipt by "Status" using the dropdown menu.

I have a suggestion. Please add a new feature so that user can sort the receipt by "Status", "Date", "Merchant", "Category", and "Account".

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @Christine . Thanks for the request. I'll let the team know we have another user reaching out about this.

• Options
    Veronica_VVeronica_V Member Posts: 3

Ditto! Cannot believe receipts cannot be sorted. Please add this feature - will greatly help!!

• Options
    SunburySunbury Member Posts: 2

Another vote for sorting receipts please. Also the ability to search receipts would be useful.

• Options
    Julia1Julia1 Member Posts: 7

Hi Wave Team!
    thanks for the great program!
    I have also many times wished there would be a filtering option for receipts!
    Julia

• Options
    Phedra33Phedra33 Member Posts: 1

I would also like a sort by date, name, category option!!!

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

@Julia1 Thanks for much for the kind words :)

It makes us feel humble knowing that we work for a product that allows small business owners to operate their books for FREE!

And thanks for the +1 on that feature request. @Phedra33

• Options
    GlavtechGlavtech Member Posts: 2

I would like to be able to sort the receipts. without the sort function it is impossible to find the photo of that particular receipts.

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

hey @Glavtech

Appreciate you reaching out about this. My apologies that this feature is not available in Wave at this time. Our accounting team is looking at ways to improve the receipts function in the future. Take care and Happy New Years.

• Options
    creativeshotcreativeshot Member Posts: 2

Please add a "sort by" feature, right now it's so difficult to navigate receipts!

• Options
    CalumBettisonCalumBettison Member Posts: 1

+1 on being able to sort receipts. It would be incredibly helpful as at the moment its almost impossible to find specific receipts if you have many and you don't input them in date order.

Do you have any information whether this will be implemented and if so, when?

Thanks.

• Options
    EddieJenningsEddieJennings Member Posts: 7

+1 as well for being able to sort receipts by the date, merchant, category, and total.

• Options
    HermHerm Member Posts: 1

I just called customer service and the representative even agreed that there should be a sort option for receipts, yet there isn't.
    Receipts are currently (still) listed in order by upload date. I have uploaded months of past receipts from before I started using wave and they are very hard to track this way.

• Options
    LittleReceipts2021LittleReceipts2021 Member Posts: 2
    3 years later and this trash still doesn’t have a function to filter by date!!! Ridiculous!!! Thank the lord I tested before transferring my business to this trash!!
  • Options
    LittleReceipts2021LittleReceipts2021 Member Posts: 2
    > @Herm said:
    > I just called customer service and the representative even agreed that there should be a sort option for receipts, yet there isn't.
    > Receipts are currently (still) listed in order by upload date. I have uploaded months of past receipts from before I started using wave and they are very hard to track this way.

I am in the same boat!! I have thousands of receipts and liked the other functions of this app. Yet it can’t do the very basic thing of filter by date of receipt?
  • Options
    LittleLemonLittleLemon Member Posts: 1

ADD A SORT! It is something that takes me forever to do when I need to find a specific receipt.