Options

How to apply a customer payment to multiple invoices.

dsiebe00dsiebe00 Member Posts: 2

I have a great problem. I have a couple customers that receive invoices for the same amount quarterly. A couple of these customers, since they know what their invoice will be in the future will send a check, not only for this quarter but for the next 1 or 2 quarters as well. But when I apply their payment to the invoice, this invoice will show a credit balance but next quarter's invoice will show as unpaid. How can I mark the second invoice as paid or apply their payment to multiple invoices?

Comments

• Options
    CentanniCentanni Member Posts: 27

@dsiebe00 This article from the help center might just be exactly what you're looking for: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000278846-Accounting-for-overpayments

• Options
    JustAClickAwayVAJustAClickAwayVA Member Posts: 4

I have a similar problem. I have a client who, no matter what her invoice balance, always seems to pay more and expects that I'll just carry the credit balance. It's making my accounting a nightmare. For instance, I'll start her invoice with a "balance forward - Credit" -- a negative number. Then, I'll enter her new invoice amount, and for this particular client I enter a discount as well. It all works out just fine... except the previous invoice, although it has been paid, shows as unpaid because of the credit balance. I wish Wave would just give an option to mark an invoice "paid" if it has a credit balance... or mark it "credit balance"... or something. I hate looking at my invoices and seeing so many "unpaid" stamps when in actuality, there is a credit balance. There must be a better way!

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @JustAClickAwayVA.

The instructions in the link offered by @Centanni would prevent that. Essentially, you would be splitting payments on overpaid invoices to pay the current invoice with one part, and to use the other part as a partial payment for your next invoice.

• Options
    danieltanguaydanieltanguay Member Posts: 2

If they pay by credit card through Wave you cannot split the transaction! This is a huge problem!

And no you cannot just add a negative amount on the new invoice either because that is giving them double credit for the money!
    Just look at their customer statement they will have an overpaid invoice + the negative credit you gave them.

• Options

Hi, @danieltanguay.

My recommendation for Wavers that are using the old version of Wave (like yourself) is to delete the transaction created automatically by the payment, creating another one for the same amount and splitting that amount according to your needs, following the instructions in the link @Centanni shared.

I realize that this isn't an ideal or elegant solution, and we are looking into making this process friendlier.

• Options
    georgegeorge Member Posts: 2

"old version of wave"? Does that imply that there is a new version? how to I access it?

• Options

Hi, @george.

Absolutely! We overhauled the accounting page, added a few reports and a bunch of other new features! We're working on moving everyone over to the new version as soon as we the resources are available. Our priority is to make sure the integrity of your data isn't affected, so we're being careful throughout the process.

The goal is to be done with this migration over the next three to six months. If you want a sneak-peek, try making a new Wave account. New accounts automatically use the new version, so by making one, you'll be able to see what we have in store.

• Options
    ricric Member Posts: 1

Hi @Alexia

I've logged in and got the new rebranded Wave. Does that mean that this Balance Forward feature is now available, or is the rebranding just cosmetic and not in sync with the backend updates you mentioned? If it is now available, can you please tell me where it is, because I can't find it.

• Options

Hi, @ric,

Your second guess is right. The rebranding of Wave and the new accounting features are entirely different projects, handled by different teams on this end. Those new features are still on the way to your account. I don't have a precise timeline to offer just yet, as our focus is to ensure the integrity of your data through this process, but I assure you our engineers are working hard to bring you these new features as soon as possible.