Options

Feature Idea: Tipping on Invoice

Comments

• Options
    BarbSBarbS Member Posts: 1

Chiming in that a tip function would be great! We are trying to migrate over from Square so all of our transactions are in one spot. One of my clients mentioned today that she missed the tipping function. I am glad to hear you can over pay, but a lot of people don't know it is okay to tip us. Having that option on check out "reminds" them. Some of our tips can be very substantial at times.

• Options
    AmandaKAmandaK Member Posts: 73 admin

@BarbS Thanks for adding your two cents here and hope that your transition from Square has been a smooth one! I can definitely understand where you and your customers are coming from, and we'll provide an update from our product team as soon as we have one.

• Options
    PFFFFFFFPFFFFFFF Member Posts: 1

I'm planning on leaving waveapps as well because of lack of productivity, innovation and their 'Not in the roadmap' responses.

edited September 30, 2019
  • Options
    burritoburrito Member Posts: 5

Why still no ability to add tips to invoices? This is a no-brainer guys!

If you don't think your WAVE community has persuaded you to make this feature a priority, how about the folks from Square give it a try...?

Here's the script from their website... [LINK: t.ly/Odbe8]

Tipping is great for obvious reasons (ahem, karma). That’s why we’ve built Square products to make sure tipping for great service is as easy as possible for your customers. In fact, Square sellers as a whole saw a 35 percent increase in tip frequency from 2013 to 2014, with the average tip amount around 17 percent.

Customers are used to tipping at places like coffee shops and quick-service restaurants. But what about other types of businesses? Many sellers using Square Invoices have told us that their customers are asking for a way to tip them for a job well done.

To make sure that customers can tip small businesses of all kinds, we’ve added a tipping feature directly into Square Invoices. Which means that when you email your customers a bill, they can tip you directly within the digital invoice. But the coolest thing is that they can tip any dollar amount they’d like (up to 50 percent of the invoiced amount). So if you’re a wedding hair stylist who went above and beyond — say, quickly whipped up an alternate ’do for rainy weather — your client has the option to reward you with more than just the typical 20 percent. That type of gratitude makes everyone feel good.

Square Invoices is one of the only solutions on the market that offers a custom tipping feature. It’s just another one of our products aimed at helping you grow your business.

• Options
    parkercpaparkercpa Member Posts: 2

I would echo the need for tipping. I've been setting my company up in Wave only to find out when I'm setting up my products and services and preparing to create my first invoice, there is no way for me to add tips to the invoice and have it book it to a liability account for tips payable. ????? I'm not sure about previous discussions with Square etc. I just need the ability to add tips to my invoices such that they end up in a liability account. Any thoughts on that are much appreciated.

• Options
    ShaneSoloShaneSolo Member Posts: 6

We are new to Wave and are coming from another billing system.

I agree TIPPING is a major feature missing.

We get offers for tips from our customers all the time. Unfortunately, we are missing out on most of that additional income because the billing systems we have used do not have that feature for them to submit a tip.

We also started using PayPal.com because PayPal offers a tipping option for customers. However, there are numerous things that make the WaveApp better.

Really, the main thing that stands out for us - lack of a tipping feature.

I hope to see that.

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @parkercpa @ShaneSolo

Thanks for the +1 on this. Though our initial system has not been designed for this type of user it's not to say that we wouldn't evolve to that in the near future. We appreciate your feedback in the community.

• Options

@BarsinA is the tipping feature a difficult feature to implement?

• Options
    parkercpaparkercpa Member Posts: 2

@BarsinA is there a way or a work around to have an item (i.e. tip) on the invoice link to a liability account? I don't need to process payments, just book the tips received to the liability account. Thanks in advance.

• Options
    CRealCReal Member Posts: 1

PayPal Allows Tips and has a space for them. I'm afraid my clients will not know they can over pay an invoice without a separate field to enter the amount in.

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @ShaneSolo! Regardless of the difficulty of the implementation of a new feature in our software, we do need to think about the scope of our product and where we want to allocate our resources. Basically, we need all hands on deck to solve the highest-impact issues. Unfortunately, tipping on invoices remains to be something that would be nice to have, but isn't entirely a business-breaking issue. I'm sorry for the inconvenience here.

@parkercpa Within an invoice, any gratuity or line item of any sort would need to be associated with an income account. From that income account, you could transfer those funds into a liability account if you'd like, for sure, however we wouldn't be able to have those transfer directly into one. Furthermore, and closer to @CReal's concerns, the only way to actually allow for 'tipping' so to speak, would be to let your clients know that they can overpay an invoice if they'd like to tip you. In your case, Parker, you'd want to split that income transaction so that the overpayment was categorized into the appropriate account (if you do so this way, you could potentially send it straight to the liability account.)

Hope this helps, and I do apologize for being the bearer of bad news, folks.

• Options

Hello @ConnorM, is a tipping feature on the forecast for future releases?

• Options
    QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

Hey @ShaneSolo, as of right now, there are no short-term plans for adding a tipping feature to our invoices. We do appreciate the feature idea, and the demand for this feature in general. This discussion can serve as a valuable resource for our Product Team when looking to add new features to the roadmap.

• Options
    PrimaginePrimagine Member Posts: 1

I've used Wave Invoicing for a few years now. The lack of adding an area for a tip is a big issue. The client will never notice it can add a tip if all they see is the invoice amount. I have never been tipped using Wave invoicing. Yesterday, I used Square to invoice my client and added the optional tipping feature. Sure enough, I got tipped US$100! You should have seen how happy I was! I'm a web designer and I love all of waveapps features. It's clean and works really well for all my needs, but I will no longer use it to invoice my clients on final payments unless you add this feature. Please consider putting it on top of your bucket list.

• Options
    GabrielleGibsonGabrielleGibson Member Posts: 5

I really need this feature like last year :/

• Options
    CalliePCallieP Member Posts: 439 admin

Hey @Primagine and @GabrielleGibson , thanks for your messages! While this is not a feature our product teams are currently working on or planning to work on, it doesn't mean it will never happen - so thank you for sharing your feedback here! We're always looking to improve our user experience and feedback like this helps us to do just that.

• Options
    JeremyGoveJeremyGove Member Posts: 2

I've used Wave for several years and have always sang its praises, but the lack of a true tip feature on invoices could end up being a deal-breaker for me. I know there's the work-around where I can tell clients to just overpay the invoice...but think of how unprofessional that looks. Since I already use Square for my in-person transactions, I may end up full switching over to them. Not being able to easily, cleanly ask for a tip is just leaving money on the table. Please bump this feature all the way to the top of your project queue, or you may end up losing a long-time customer.

For the record, I could care less about the whole "fully integrated Wave bank" push you guys are doing. Any business worth their salt is already using a business account and has it well-established. I want Wave to focus on where they're strong...solving day-to-day operations problems and making it easier for me to get paid and run my status reports and P&L's.

Again...add the tip feature. Please listen to your customers, or your best ones will leave for a service that actually enables them to make more money.

• Options
    CalenderCalender Member Posts: 1

@Alexia said:
    Hi, @bbizzle.

While Wave doesn't do it automatically, your clients can overpay an invoice if they wish to give you tip. You can then retroactively edit the invoice to make sure the extra amount is allocated to the right category.

That being said, it is an interesting suggestion and I'd love to hear a bit more about your business! What field are you in? Is tipping common?

Hi @Alexia,
    I've been doing landscaping, moving, painting, and other jobs for 3 years and the employer I worked with(until I started my own business this year) always had an option for clients to tip on their invoices (It could also be turned off depending on whether the client tipped in-person)

Why wouldn't Wave want to add this extremely simple and optional feature? Please do...

• Options
    danieltanguaydanieltanguay Member Posts: 2

The problem I have is I am already with Wave and I need to have a tipping feature available.
    It is good that there is a workaround but not having a professional interface dedicated to this (10%, 15%, etc) is a major setback. I need to go third party until this is addressed.

PLEASE ESCALATE!

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @danieltanguay

Thanks so much for this +1 on the tipping feature idea for invoices. I can totally understand how this feature would benefit your business and I appreciate you reaching out. Our team is aware of this idea from previous escalations. Presently we don't have any updates on the implementation of this feature so I do apologize about that!

• Options
    ALTechALTech Member Posts: 1

I don't post at all just due to time, but I needed to in this case because the tipping feature is one I'm surprised isn't more of a priority. Actually disappointed to see it because I specifically came to see when it was going to be implemented and to see it's not going to anytime soon or at all... bummer.
    I don't believe you can enter a link on the invoices so that's out and only options is to look at other services. I like supporting Wave and I love the system, but I don't like losing possible money from client that like to show appreciation for a good job done.

Reading through it doesn't appear this is a feature that will be implemented, which is surprising with the amount of feedback from people ready to switch if it was added.
    I do agree that this feature should be added and taken more seriously as it applies to so many people in different 'service' type businesses. I do I.T. Support, Media Services and so Recording/Live Sound, all of which I've had numerous clients mention to me, after making their payment, that I should add a Tip button.
    As others have mentioned, I'm aware of the overpay, but it is so, so unprofessional to have to explain what to do if you'd like to tip me... just doesn't feel 'right' to me and almost like I'm telling them or doing the ole, 'nudge, nudge, hint hint hint', 'big wink', just so they'll do it and that's not the impression I want to make. I'd much prefer my work to speak for itself and clients to have the option to show their appreciation with a tip that'll comes as a surprise to me... not because I told them how to, but because if they want....I feel it'd have to stress, "ONLY if you want too! Don't feel obligated!". It really takes away from that surprise and special recognition feeling you get when a client gives you a very nice for your work.
    As a customer of other businesses that have the option, I personally enjoy showing my appreciation and giving the person/business a nice tip when the option is there. Honestly I don't think I've ever had a person or business have to give me instruction or tell me to overpay if I want to tip...? Is this common for others?
    I've used Wave for many years now and a tipping feature has always been one I looked forward too, and honestly just assumed it'd be added eventually due to it being a big part of many different service or music/arts related businesses.
    I hate to say that seeing here how the old services I used before Wave now has that feature, I am going to go look and see if they now meet more my needs than Wave... I really hope not. I do really love Wave, but I love money too and the feeling of being surprised receiving unexpected money from a client to show their appreciation.
    Especially these days people need this option more than ever! I know I do!

I think the current times really call for this feature more than ever due to on-site work changing to remote.

Thank for your time and have a great day!

Al the best,
    Aaron

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @ALTech , thanks for leaving this incredibly in-depth response on how adding a tip feature would help your business. I'll be happy to pass this feedback on to our Product team as one of the reasons a tipping feature should be added 🙂!

• Options
    WoreoWoreo Member Posts: 1

Crazy to see people requesting a tip option since 2018 and still nothing. Seems like such a simple request but still being ignored so long. :( I just joined wave and im starting to really miss the tips was getting before. I'll have to do my invoicing a different way until after tipping feature is added.

• Options
    Nautic_Hull_1Nautic_Hull_1 Member Posts: 4
    Did anything come of this? I need a spot for customers to enter a tip.
  • Options
    Nautic_Hull_1Nautic_Hull_1 Member Posts: 4
    We need the tip button installed PLEASE HELP.
  • Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Nautic_Hull_1 , this functionality has not been yet added to Wave.

• Options
    KrisWPSKrisWPS Member Posts: 1

I didn't realize when I switched to Wave that there wasn't a space for a tip on my invoices. I love the invoices but I'm losing money! :( I may need to figure out another invoice option until this can be added.

• Options
    OutcomeTechnologyOutcomeTechnology Member Posts: 1

Any movement on this at all?

I'm in IT services, and while tipping is rare, it does happen and would love to encourage it more by including it as a step during the invoice payment process.

Thank you!

• Options
    JulianPJulianP Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hey @OutcomeTechnology !

I'm afraid that this functionality is not yet supported by Wave. I apologize for the inconvenience.

• Options
    BenivinsBenivins Member Posts: 1

What is wrong Wave? Do you no know how to add a tipping function? Do you not care? Seriously, you are losing credibility and customers with the way you are handling this thread. Get on the ball!