Options

Feature Idea: Tipping on Invoice

13»

Comments

• Options
    pfordmediapfordmedia Member Posts: 1

Yes please add tipping. I see that this has been a request since 2018. I just switched to Wave but will have to find another solution. PayPal had tipping and I got a decent chunk from that. Please look at this Wave instead of just saying, "Sorry this hasn't been added yet". We know that, so add it.

• Options
    Raquel_Khali27Raquel_Khali27 Member Posts: 1
    I signed up with Wave last night. Everything was going good until I realized there’s no way to add tips to the invoices! This is huge in the business I do. Please wave, add this feature!! I would hate to delete my account and have to go else where but without a tip option on invoices I’ll have no other option :(
  • Options
    KaytlynKaytlyn Member Posts: 0
    Is there a way to add a "tip" or "gratuity" section to invoices?
    edited February 8, 2021
  • Options
    NancyCNancyC Member Posts: 148 admin

Hey @Benivins @pfordmedia @Raquel_Khali27 While invoice tipping is not something our product teams are currently working, we are definitely aware of the demand for this feature. Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback!

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @Kaytlyn , this function doesn't currently exist in Wave so I've added you to this thread to record your request of the feature as a +1 for tracking purposes.

edited February 8, 2021
  • Options
    BobVBobV Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I'm going to look for an invoicing app that has the"tippping" feature. Seems like Axel L and wave aren't interested
  • Options
    LMRLMR Member Posts: 1

I own and operate a residential housekeeping business and it would be nice if Invoicing had this clickable option as well and it could/would automatically update the invoice to add the "Tip" as a line item separate from the invoice calculation. Currently, my clients are overpaying and I am allocating it to a Misc Income account.

• Options
    akcomputerguyakcomputerguy Member Posts: 2

I would also find this feature helpful. I don't like to aggressively push for tips, but in my computer repair service occasionally people will want to pay more than they were billed and it is always welcomed.

• Options
    PaigettiePaigettie Member Posts: 10

I would also really appreciate a tipping feature. I had yet another client tell me they wished they could have left a tip when they paid the invoice online. I'm missing out on income because they don't know they can edit the amount they pay on the invoice. It would be VERY EASY to add a line of text on the invoice payment page generated by WaveApps, something along the line of "If you would like to leave a tip, edit the 'amount' paid above to include your tip plus amount due." That's a very easy thing to do that doesn't require programming and debugging, etc. I was thinking I could always put it somewhere in the invoice notes or in the message sent with the email, but I then risk the client jumping to the conclusion that I'm "asking" for a tip.
    Thanks!
    Paige

edited March 30, 2021
  • Options
    Nautic_Hull_1Nautic_Hull_1 Member Posts: 4
    PLEASE ADD THE TIP FEATURE.
  • Options
    KristenVKristenV Member Posts: 121 admin

Hi @LMR @akcomputerguy @Paigettie @Nautic_Hull_1 , thank you all so much for sharing how this feature would be helpful to your business. Our team will take this feedback in and will keep you all updated if or when this feature is launched! Thanks again!

• Options
    Nautic_Hull_1Nautic_Hull_1 Member Posts: 4
    Naaaaa don't worry about it, gonna switch over to square to have the tip feature. This has been talked about for years now and y'all still can't take the time to add a tip function.
  • Options
    OnDemandMoverOnDemandMover Member Posts: 1

The lack of tipping option is literally "the only" feature I am missing. Migrating from Square has streamlined the accounting side for me, but now instead of customers self serving at payment time, many are now contacting me asking how to tip. The tips I receive are significant. This is a priority 1 for me. I know this has been asked for for several years now. If there is anyway Wave could increase the priority of this feature, I am sure many users will be positively impacted.

• Options
    EncubedEncubed Member Posts: 1
    +1! Sounds like I might have to switch to Square as this should really be a standard feature.
  • Options
    WandaJoWandaJo Member Posts: 4
    I too am trying to convert to wave. I am a designer and need this option. Why can every other platform offer tipping on their invoices except Wave. People have been reaching out to you for this, help us small businesses. I know I am guilty that when I receive an invoice I don't think about a tip but with that option there people tend to go oh I can tip the designer. If you tell them then you just look bad asking someone to tip. Please help with this so we don't have to go to other platforms to get it.
  • Options
    jessnoochjessnooch Member Posts: 1

Obviously the moderators here are useless on this topic unless you like reading the same canned answer 20 times, but has anyone come up with a specific professional-sounding way to indicate to customers that they can overpay to tip? Like a line item with a clear explanation or what to do? Or have we all just given up on getting tips?

• Options
    Onesimus_45116Onesimus_45116 Member Posts: 5

@Samd said:
    Hey @sbrightma, essentially when paying, customers have the option to edit the amount paid (it will default to full, but in cases in which they are partially or bulk paying they enter their own value for payment). It is a bit of a workaround I should note, especially depending on the method of payment. So if you're receiving funds directly through Wave/Stripe, the invoice is going to show as Overpaid and that a negative amount is left owing. So, you'd want to head to that specific invoice, select edit, and add a new line item called something like Tip. You'd then enter the exact value of the 'overpayment', which would close out the invoice as fully paid.

I'd actually recommend creating Tip as a line item in Sales and Services, and generate a payment account specifically for tips called Tips. This way you can track the amount you make in tips separately, and depending on how you report your tips, exclude it from overall profit bookkeeping.

Hi Sam,
    HELP!!
    So being new to WAVE I wasn't sure how to process this situation...

We are not yet set up to receive card pmts via the emailed receipt, so when delivering a product, A customer overpaid with a $45 "tip" for a $255 invoice via check ($300). I was concerned about the tip showing as an overpayment and screwing up my accounting so I went ahead and "Recorded Payment" on her invoice at what she owed, $255. As you may assume, when that $300 deposit registered in WAVE from my connected account, I was prevented from Merging the two transactions due to different amounts. Not sure what to do and not finding help from Mave, I "Split" the $300 trans to show $45 was for a "Donation Received", but because her invoice is already showing as paid, it doesn't populate in the "Payments Received from an Invoice in Wave>Outstanding Invoices in Wave" field, and so I still can't categorize the remaining $255 and merge it to her "paid" invoice!!

I know this is probably a simple fix and am making it more complex that it is, but honestly I'm stuck.
    Your above workaround suggests an "edit" to the original invoice if "you're receiving funds directly through Wave/Stripe", that's obviously not my case, but is an "edit" still a viable solution without throwing my accounting off?

I appreciate any help you can provide!
    Blessings!
    Onesimus

• Options
    HandHCleaningHandHCleaning Member Posts: 3

+1 For a Tip Feature! I'm also hesitant to move toward Wave's payment platform. Service based businesses need this option. I run a residential cleaning service. Most clients are recurring and would like to tip. Especially around the holidays. Asking for an overpayment then having to edit the payment is a lot. This should be simplified. Self employed individuals do not get a cushy bonus and tips can make up a large portion of income. I'm adding myself to the list of sad Wave patrons. :'(

If anyone is currently using this platform and wants to hassle with editing payments, you can edit your Products & Services. Add something like this to your description:

"Tips are admired, but never required! If you'd like to leave a tip, edit the 'Amount' when entering your payment method to include a little extra."

It will then appear in the main body of your invoice, but mobile viewers will have to hit the down arrow "v" next to your Product/Service name to see it. I did not include it in my notes/terms because I have lengthy terms of services already.

edited November 2, 2021
  • Options
    BrennanMorrowBrennanMorrow Member Posts: 2

I manage multiple businesses and have waveapp for 4 of them. I love the simplicity of the software.
    These businesses range from in-home services, to e-commerce, and property management.

I am migrating my last 2 in-home service businesses to wave in 2022 from Quickbooks that we have used from 15 years.

Deal Breaker: Tips. As an example in our Holiday light installation business, I just wrote a check to the teams for just shy of $10k Which was just in tips. That is a lot of money to leave on the table, and this was customer tips, for the teams work.

This is not a feature request, but a feature requirement.
    Waveapp makes more money when processing more $$ which pays the staff to develop more features. This single feature increases the gross processing revenue of wave app by 3-8%.
    Further, it will help onboard a number of new wave app clients, that need the tip feature.
    Lastly, some of the clients that have posted on this post, would happily pay for this feature, and its development.

• Options
    heresyourhostheresyourhost Member Posts: 1

Joining the herd to request a tipping feature. I was just about to transition all my invoicing over from Square to Wave... and when I discovered I couldn't add a tip feature, I did a full stop. I just paid over $700 worth of fees to Square last year that I was about to give to Wave instead... but if there is no tip feature, I can not afford to move to Wave. As a service based business, I need a space for clients to add a tip when paying an invoice. Please add this!

• Options
    remedies360remedies360 Member Posts: 2

Yes. Add tipping feature. Join the rest of us in the 21st century!

• Options
    WandaJoWandaJo Member Posts: 4
    This topic has been going on since 2018. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel that a tipping feature be added to wave. I also am a designer and I was use square and was getting tips from my clients however since using wave even with a note saying they can add a tip to the invoice payment amount clients are no longer tipping even the ones I know did on a regular basis. Please add thos fiture so we can continue to use wave. Also be great if we could add wave payments to our websites so that it would be a part of our check out.
  • Options
    KenLagerKenLager Member Posts: 1

I was just talking to another small business owner who uses HoneyBook and she said she makes thousands of dollars by allowing client to tip them. I agree that the Wave answer of 'they can just overpay the invoice' is not the same as a pop up suggesting the client leaver a tip. PLEASE add this to the software. I'll even contribute a portion of the tips back to Wave if we can make this work!

• Options
    maravillamaravilla Member Posts: 5

Why is it 2022 and there's still not Tip feature?