Discounts

JustAClickAwayVAJustAClickAwayVA Member Posts: 4

I hava a client to whom I offer a huge discount. I am entering the discount on her invoices, but they don't seem to be showing up on the P&L report. How can I make that happen so I can keep track of how much my discount to her is costing me??

Comments

• DillPickleGearDillPickleGear Member Posts: 1

I sell both customer-direct and also wholesale. For wholesale invoices, I would like to add the products and then specify a % wholesale discount at the end. The "help" instructions show how to add another line item that has a negative price, but that still requires me to calculate that negative amount manually each time, which is really kludgy and makes more room for mistakes.
    This seems like a pretty basic thing to want on an invoice, and presumably not very hard to implement.

edited August 31, 2018
  • AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @DillPickleGear

Adding a discount as a percentage isn't something that can be automatically calculated in Wave. Right now, the only way to do it is as a separate product with a negative value. If you'd to read more how we choose new features, you can do so here.

Can you tell me more about the kind of products you sell? I might be able to offer an alternative. The first that comes to mind is to create a series of products that mirror the products you sale, named "Wholesale Discount - Product Name", so that you can calculate them in advance. All you'll have to do is match the number of items between the product itself and its matched discount item.

• EnzEnz Member Posts: 1

I am trying to split an income transaction between gross income less discounts but it will only let me enter the the discount as a positive number (credit) so its not deducting from the gross revenue in the P&L report. Is there a trick to making this work? Thanks.

• SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin
  • AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @Enz.

Can you break down exactly what you are trying to do a further? If we have a better idea of what you're trying to do and what you're working with, I might be able to help. I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't want discounts to show either as expenses or as negative income on your reports since they do affect how much money ends up in your pockets.

In the future, please create a new thread when you have a question, rather than posting on a weeks-old thread. I've turned your comment into its own discussion post. It will make it easier for other Wavers to find this discussion if they ever have the same question.

• Ellie_Writes_ThingsEllie_Writes_Things Member Posts: 42 ✭✭

Did you set your discount to use its own income account, @JustAClickAwayVA? If you didn't put it in its own account, it'll get linked to Sales, so you won't be to see them independently.

• JustAClickAwayVAJustAClickAwayVA Member Posts: 4

Thank you. I’ll check on that. :)

• DeclutterBugDeclutterBug Member Posts: 0

How do I add a discount to my invoice? I can see discounts under "Expenses", but I can't find how to track them.

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @DeclutterBug, our invoicing system isn't currently capable of using the discount expense category, but it is still possible to add a discount to an invoice manually. We're working to improve this feature, but at the moment to add a discount you'd want to add a new line item to the invoice itself. Because Wave invoices currently don't allow you to input a percentage as a value, you'd need to calculate the value of the discount (say 10% of the subtotal for instance), and input this value as a negative to discount the invoice by that amount. This line item you can also call discount if you'd like, and input a description detailing the reasons (customer credit for instance).

• zoesbloomszoesblooms Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I sometimes offer my clients a discount, how can I apply it on the invoice?
  • Vinayak71_IndiaVinayak71_India Member Posts: 3

Suppose i was sales a 1000 rupees product and i want to discount 100 rupees for these customer with showing on invoice haw i do it????

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @Vinayak71_India - to give and show a discount, what you'd want to do is add a second item to your invoice. You could call this item 'Discount', or add more details if the discount was for something specific. In the price section, you'd want to enter '-100 rupees'. Doing this will reduce the overall value of the invoice by that amount.

• TolukingToluking Member Posts: 2

@Samd said:
    Hey @Vinayak71_India - to give and show a discount, what you'd want to do is add a second item to your invoice. You could call this item 'Discount', or add more details if the discount was for something specific. In the price section, you'd want to enter '-100 rupees'. Doing this will reduce the overall value of the invoice by that amount.

Exactly what i always do

• Vinayak71_IndiaVinayak71_India Member Posts: 3
    Ok thanks,
    But I can't understand
    For example product cost is 1000 -
    1 st item - Product. - 800 rs.
    2 nd item - Discount - 100 rs.
    Total. - 900 rs.

Then how can i show my product cost to client. What is the exact cost 1000, 900 and 800. It's so confusing. On my way sorry but I am not satisfied.
  • UrsulaUrsula Member Posts: 4

HI,
    The last month i have been experiencing problems with my customer statements. I would say around 80% of the time that i try to view the statements when opening this option the screen remains blank. I also noted the the ageing of my customers is also incorrect.

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Ursula Thanks for reaching out! I am sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Customer Statements page. As a start we can try some browser troubleshooting steps; Wave supports the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. We'd also recommend that you try using Wave with browser extensions/add blockers/VPNs disabled. If you have Chrome, try opening up an incognito window, logging into your Wave account, and try again (or if you have Firefox, open a private browsing window). If that doesn't work, you may also need to clear your cache and cookies. Let me know if you're noticing any change! :smile:

• SphSph Member Posts: 0
    Is there a way to record a discount or credit to an invoice other than using a payment?
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Sph. The only way to add a discount or credit to an invoice is by adding a line item (and labelling it as just that, discount/credit). This help centre article goes into further detail on how to accomplish this in Wave: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622956-How-to-show-a-discount-on-an-invoice -- This is something that could change in the future, (adding a credit note for example). However, we don't have any immediate plans to implement this just yet.

• EcowareEcoware Member Posts: 1
    Hi I’m having same troubles. Did you figure it out?
  • AmandaKAmandaK Member Posts: 73 admin

@zoesblooms @Ecoware Take a look at this Help Center article to learn how to show a discount on your invoice :)

• JesicaJesica Member Posts: 1
    I really would like a balance option. My clients paid the deposit, weeks before I get this application, I need to send her an invoice only with the balance but I can’t. How I fix that. Thank you
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Jesica. Instead of sending an invoice with the remaining balance for the specific invoice, what you can do is send them a customer statement which includes the total amount they owe to you. They can then go back to the initial invoice that was sent out and make a payment for the rest that was owing to you. Our Sales Service team is currently looking at improving the Customer Statement section nearing the end of this calendar year, so stay tuned.

• dmallingdmalling Member Posts: 1

I'm having this same problem on Chrome. I can open it on Safari just fine, but on Chrome nothing shows up -- just a blank page after the heading "Customer Statements". I'd rather not have to go through all these troubleshooting steps every time I want to open the Customer Statements page though. Maybe there's something on Wave's end they can do?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @dmalling . It sounds like this is a compatibility issue with the browser which means there's nothing we change from our end to fix it. I'd recommend that you upgrade Chrome to the latest version and clear your cache and cookies as this should fix any issues that you're having!

• DRMcQuaigDRMcQuaig Member Posts: 0

Is there a way to incorporate discounts to invoices by percentage amounts?
    (ie. 50% Discount on Invoice of items or on the subtotal of purchase order)

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @DRMcQuaig !

This is a fantastic question, and one that we've seen surface a fair amount. As far as the actual application of this goes, we can definitely offer tools that will allow you to discount your invoice. With that said, at present, we don't have the ability to apply percentage discounts to an invoice outright. Instead, what you might like to do is to create a negative line item on the invoice with the name of that percentage discount, and then have that calculated discount appear as the line item's price. I realize that might sound a bit funky on paper, but we've got a solid Help Center article here that really explains the breakdown of this process.

Here's what this would look like (it's an image from that article I've linked!):

• aashi_infosystems19aashi_infosystems19 Member Posts: 8

Their are several invoices where the final amount comes in fractions also, i.e. 2000.20 or 2000.60. I want to round off the amount 2000.20 to 2000 and 2000.60 to 2001 (if fraction is less than 50 than lower side and if fraction is more than 50, than higher side. When we receive payment it comes in round off figre and fraction remain as outstanding. pl solve this issue.

• JamesGoodnightJamesGoodnight Member Posts: 2

Another simple feature that I am surprised is not available on with this site. It is definitely time to start searching for better solutions.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @aashi_infosystems19! This is not something that Wave currently offers, but I'd love to know more about why you'd like to suggest this as a feature idea! Is there a reason why adjusting the invoice before sending it off is not a workflow you've been using? Would love to know more about why you want to work in whole figures only!

• aashi_infosystems19aashi_infosystems19 Member Posts: 8

When customer Pays , he pays in round figures, and the balance in fraction shows as outstanding while the account is deemed fully settled. Almost all accounting softwares in India provide this facility