Options

What else do you use to run your business?

zuzazuza Member Posts: 31 admin

Hey Everyone! 

What else do you use for your business and wish you could connect with Wave?

What non-banking related data do you find yourself bringing into Wave regularly and wish we would automate for you?

edited August 30, 2018 in Accounting Feature Ideas

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteCharlotte Member Posts: 671 admin
  • Options
  • Options
    UHRP3UHRP3 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi @Charlotte

I use Google Drive, One Drive and would like Wave to store all the paid invoices, receipts directly in these drive automatically or with permission.

Non banking data can be a portfolio in Personal account wherein Wave will fetch the real time data from Bloomberg, Google Finance or any other reliable source

edited May 10, 2018
  • Options
    Briella83Briella83 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

The first thing to come to mind is time tracking to integrate with invoicing. I have used Harvest and I bet there are others in the same boat.

• Options
  • Options
    chj915chj915 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

I used Google Drive to structure a folder to keep all the receipts (images/PDFs) before I upload them to WAVE's Receipt section. That ensures that I always have a copy for myself locally.
    I rarely take a photo on my phone and upload it directly to WAVE. I always upload that photo to my Google Drive first, then upload it to WAVE.
    Not sure if would give some ideas to WAVE but that is how I manage my business receipts.

• Options
    EnsignBellaRoEnsignBellaRo Member Posts: 28 ✭✭

Like @chj915, I use Google Drive for just about everything. I've been using Toggl lately, for time tracking for me and my partners, it's been working fairly well, but it'd be nice to be able to turn our time-tracking reports into invoices.

I've been looking at my options for CRM software recently, but I haven't made a decision. Being able to link my customer list from a CRM software to wave would be a blessing.

• Options
    nickmannickman Member Posts: 2

I need a customer portal. I would be cool with an API that could get at customer data and invoices, but ultimately I need a place where a customer could login and update their contact info, see payment history including current and past invoices.

• Options

@nickman do you mind if I ask, is the need to update customer info because you work with multiple people at the same organization, or because it's just more straightforward and easy for this information to be the responsibility of your customer? Do you use a CRM right now?

• Options
    BenRajabiBenRajabi Member Posts: 13 admin

Fascinating to see the how Google Drive is used by business owners.
    I'm also curious what everyone uses outside of Wave for their employees and contractors as well.

• Options

@Briella83 @UHRP3 @chj915 @nickman @EnsignBellaRo are any of you using other sources from which you'd like to pull sales transactions, for example, like PayPal or a storefront?

• Options
    UHRP3UHRP3 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi @Charlotte

Currently I am not fetching any data from any source.

• Options
    EnsignBellaRoEnsignBellaRo Member Posts: 28 ✭✭

@Charlotte we enter everything by hand. We have few enough transactions that it isn't much of a bother to do so, and we generally get paid by cheque or bank transfer.

• Options
    Briella83Briella83 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

I've used Paypal to gather payments a few times, but I haven't bothered with setting it up in Wave. I probably should... Could save me some time.

• Options
    DieloTopacioDieloTopacio Member Posts: 4

For starters, it would be great if I can use the payroll and banking function which is currently available but my country is not supported :( .

Additionally, a simple Fixed Asset management would be really helpful. I’m currently using a simple Excel spreadsheet with formulas as my Fixed Asset Register. That spreadsheet also has a proforma entry for my accumulated depreciation and depreciation expense which I book on a monthly basis. For me this is also one of the basic feature and accounting system should have. I understand that Wave wants to keep it simple so why not start with a simple with straight line method for depreciation. The most simple and practical method to depreciate fixed assets.

Another thing is having cost center or department codes. Even if the app targets small business to freelancers, it would be better if they can categorize into which nature an expense if for. It’s different categorizing chart of account than categorizing what an expense is for. As an example, let’s say I have an expense category of ‘Meals and Representation’, what if I just want to check how much I spend for that type of expense for Marketing purposes? How much of that tyoe of expense I have spent for processing statutory requirements? It may complicate the process but it would give users better visibility of how much is being spent for a specific activity (or department to better put it). I’m actually still thinking of a work around for this as I have to set it up for a new client but I would go to creating multiple items in the chart of accounts which is not the proper way to do it. Right now I’m leaning towards creating anong Excel tool for this one. Something for disbursement form where I can easily categorize who’s spending on what.

• Options

@Charlotte
    I don't pull transactions from PayPal since my PayPal links to my bank account or credit card account, and those transactions will eventually show up from the Bank Connect feature.

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @chj915.

Do you end up accounting for the PayPal fee by hand?

• Options

@Alexia
    I don't use PayPal for my business. I have only personal Paypal account which I used it as chequing account or credit card. There is no trasaction fee in this case since I am not receiving payment via Paypal.

• Options
  • Options
    KblacKblac Member Posts: 20

Hi all,

This is with regards the mobile app, can we have the feature where the mobile app can be able to generate estimates just the way i can be able to generate invoices. Also i always download a copy of my invoices and estimates and save them on dropbox, would appreciate a feature i can save directly to dropbox just like @UHRP3 stated above.

• Options

If WAVE can release one single Mobile App instead of two apps (Invoice & Receipt), that would make more sense. Right now, sending Invoice and uploading Receipt are on 2 separate applications.

Also, why not allow the user to log an expense via the Mobile app. Uploading Receipt sure is helping some people, but it is also helpful to let people quickly view the list of transactions.

Exporting Invoice to PDF via Mobile app is also a good feature to have. I am not sure how WAVE builds their PDF export feature. Assume they don't have to store the physical copy of PDFs, so generating PDF would be done in fly. It shouldn't be hard for a Mobile App.

• Options

Hi everyone, please bring this back to the original subject of the thread, which is about other tools and software you use as part of managing your business. You are welcome to start new threads for other feature ideas you would like to share and discuss.

• Options
    Ali_Sifton22Ali_Sifton22 Member Posts: 1

Hi! I'd love to see a simple signing tool, a la Docusign.

• Options
    Valerie_ACleverCatValerie_ACleverCat Member Posts: 9
    • Dubsado CRM (currently only integrates with Quickbooks. You'd gain a bunch of new customers if you worked with Dubsado to get integrated!)
    • Credit Card processors (such as stripe) so we can import processing fees rather than having to manually add them in.
  • Options

Thank you so much, @Ali_Sifton22 and @Valerie_ACleverCat!

@Valerie_ACleverCat, we already offer our own credit card processing service (and we also offer bank transfers in Canada and the United States). You can get paid directly from your invoices, and all the accounting is done for you. If you're curious to learn more, check out Payment by Wave.

• Options
    Valerie_ACleverCatValerie_ACleverCat Member Posts: 9

@Alexia - thanks. I know you guys offer credit card processing, but Dubsado only works with Stripe (currently), and that's where my invoicing is done, so that's what I use. That's why I suggested that you see about integrating with Dubsado. :)

• Options
    AshBryantAshBryant Member Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm a freelance frontend developer, so as you might imagine I use apps for everything.

Time tracking - Toggl -- https://toggl.com/
    Office tools - G Suite -- https://goo.gl/WDx2in
    Chat management - Franz -- https://meetfranz.com/
    Web Hosting - Cloudways -- https://www.cloudways.com/en/?id=55459

loads more but these are the non-geek ones :smiley:

• Options

@Valerie_ACleverCat, I see! Thank you! I know it isn't ideal, but you can download your transactions on Stripe as a CSV file, format it down to the same format Wave accepts for bank statements. It won't be automated, but it still will be easier than accounting for every transaction by hand.

Hi @AshBryant! Thanks for the suggestions! But please, don't be afraid to get geeky at us. I doubt you can scare us off by coming off as a geek. There is a pile of board games on my desk as we speak, so I sure won't throw stones :tongue:

• Options
    MiraculaMiracula Member Posts: 4

Just registered so I could join this thread.

I'm evaluating proposal apps now, and the thing they mostly have in common is that they allow proposal acceptance and 'pay now' functionality via Stripe. All of them have enough proposal functionality - but my purchasing decision would DEFINITELY be swayed by one having an integration with Wave.

Examples - betterproposals.io, proposify, panadoc

• Options

Hi, @Miracula.

We do actually offer payment processing through Stripe for countries outside of Canada and the United States (we handle everything ourselves in those two). What @Valerie_ACleverCat was asking for was an integration to allow us to import transactions that were made through a different app with a Stripe integration.

If you're curious about our payment processing services, you can read up about them here.