Feature Idea - Add column to invoice template

Brain_123Brain_123 Member Posts: 2

how do I add column to invoice template

edited October 29, 2019 in Sales & Invoicing Feature Ideas

Comments

• MSotoMSoto Member Posts: 2

Does anyone know how to add a column to my estimates and invoices? I would like to add a Commission column, just like the Tax column that will automatically calculate Commission over a Sale. Thanks, M.

edited August 31, 2018
  • ManiMani Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

This is not presently a feature in Wave. Would you be willing to share more about your needs?

Do your commissions calculate as a percentage over other line items on an estimate or invoice? Are you looking to avoid manually calculating them and adding new line items? Would you look for all of this income (sale + commission) to be bookkept into a single Income Account or to be split between two Income Accounts (one for the sale and one for the commission)?

Let us know if you're unsure about any of these questions, and we'll try to learn more about your needs.

• adeade Member Posts: 0

Hello, I am new at wave, found it very amazing site. i had few problems when i was adding all entries. that i cannot add new columns to invoices. I want to show check # in invoices which is not showing. i want to show note or memo in invoices. Please help.

• UHRP3UHRP3 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hello Ade,

You cannot add a new column in invoices.

For Note and memo check the below URL from help center

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208621686-How-to-Customize-Your-Invoices-and-Estimates

• cwinfredcwinfred Member Posts: 0

Hi, my business sells items that comes in different units of measures. Is there any way I can add a column in the Invoice fr this. TIA

edited October 23, 2019

Thank you Mani,
    Do your commissions calculate as a percentage over other line items on an estimate or invoice? **That is correct. I commission over external items I sell. Are you looking to avoid manually calculating them and adding new line items? **Exactly, right now I use excel to prepare the estimate and then enter it in Wave. Would you look for all of this income (sale + commission) to be bookkept into a single Income Account or to be split between two Income Accounts (one for the sale and one for the commission)? ** I rather see it separately as two income accounts.
    I also would like for it to show at the sub totals, just like tax does, and not as a single item line, which is how I'm currently entering it.
    I think the best example is the Tax line. Right now you enter the tax amount so it automatically calculates and accommodates tax in the sub totals.

Thank you!!

@MSoto said:
    Thank you Mani,
    Do your commissions calculate as a percentage over other line items on an estimate or invoice? **That is correct. I commission over external items I sell. Are you looking to avoid manually calculating them and adding new line items? **Exactly, right now I use excel to prepare the estimate and then enter it in Wave. Would you look for all of this income (sale + commission) to be bookkept into a single Income Account or to be split between two Income Accounts (one for the sale and one for the commission)? ** I rather see it separately as two income accounts.
    I also would like for it to show at the sub totals, just like tax does, and not as a single item line, which is how I'm currently entering it.
    I think the best example is the Tax line. Right now you enter the tax amount so it automatically calculates and accommodates tax in the sub totals.

Thank you!!

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @cwinfred,

There's no way to currently add a column like this in Wave, but there's a few ways you handle this, depending on the need of your business.

If you exclusively deal in one unit of measure, you can change the wording on the invoice for the "Quantity" column, to for example "Quantity (kg)". You can do this by clicking on Settings, at the bottom of the menu on the left, and going to Invoice Customization.

If you use different units of measure for different items, you could write the unit in the item's description, so that it would look something like this:

Beef jerky - Spicy teriyaki flavour (quantity in kg) - 0.25 - Price

• kmmaslykkmmaslyk Member Posts: 0

Is there no option to add a Date of Service column to your invoice in customization or have I missed it?

edited August 30, 2018
  • CentanniCentanni Member Posts: 27

I usually put it in the description for the line item, if it's line item-specific. There's no dedicated field for it. If it covers the whole invoice, you could stick it in the invoice summary instead.

• colorsongcolorsong Member Posts: 1

why don't you add this function, I'm pretty sure people like this and are happy to pay for it. We use different UOM and it may make people confused without UOM.

Hi, @colorsong.

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that this feature would be useful to some of our Wavers, but as we explain here, most Wavers operate businesses that offer services, rather than products. Because we try to build features that benefit as many Wavers as possible, it's unlikely that we'll build a feature like this one in the near future.

That isn't to say it will never be considered, however. Feedback from our users does have an important impact on how we decide what to build next for Wave.

Hi, @Brain_123.

There's currently no way to add columns to Wave's invoices, but if you give me a bit more information on the kinds of details you'd like to add to your invoices, I might be able to suggest a workaround.

What is it that you would add in a new column?

• MJSMJS Member Posts: 14

I have the same issue, not with a column but with wanted to add specific fields to the invoices, which would be searchable. This would make finding invoices easier when clients call. Specifically Client # or reference. I know you have the PO field, but if that name could be changed and additional boxes added that would resolve the issue, at least for me. Adding that column to the invoice page would also assist in finding the correct invoice for the files we work on

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

@MJS Thanks for the feedback! I wanted to dig into what you were really trying to achieve. It sounds like you are looking for additional fields that you can search for customers with. We currently have a customer number field that isn't seen on the invoice, as well as the invoice reference (The field below the invoice title). Are you looking for these to be sortable/searchable in the invoice lists or customer pages?
    Is there also a need to have these on the invoice for your customer, or are these for internal purposes only?

• MJSMJS Member Posts: 14

I was not aware of the customer number field but will look into that to be able to assign my customers a specific number. We work with a couple law-firms and they have case information (case reference, case #, claims #, index #, etc.) they utilize to track their cases. Being able to have customized fields, that appear on the invoice would be great, this way we can input that information as needed and it can appear on the invoice. I am currently doing this in the Invoice reference field and notes and having to input multiple times is taking up additional time that could potentially be automated.

• Brain_123Brain_123 Member Posts: 2

@Alexia said:
    Hi, @Brain_123.

There's currently no way to add columns to Wave's invoices, but if you give me a bit more information on the kinds of details you'd like to add to your invoices, I might be able to suggest a workaround.

What is it that you would add in a new column?

Hi @Alexia Thank you for your response. Currently the column consist of
    Items or Service | Qty | Price | Amount | if there is any wave to include Extra Column
    Items or Service | No of Day | Qty | Price | Amount

something like that.

Would that be possible?

regards
    Brain

• RahimRahim Member Posts: 97 ✭✭

@MJS Thanks for the clarification!

@Brain_123 Thanks for the further detail. Right now it's not possible to add that column. The way to add that detail would be within the description field for now. Is "No of Day" different than quantity if you could just change the name of that column? or is it because you have different types of line items where some would use number of days and some would use quantity?

• Lemon_1Lemon_1 Member Posts: 4

@Brain_123 Thanks for the further detail. Right now it's not possible to add that column. The way to add that detail would be within the description field for now. Is "No of Day" different than quantity if you could just change the name of that column? or is it because you have different types of line items where some would use number of days and some would use quantity?

Hi. I need the same please. We have equipment at a certain quantity for a certain amount of days.
    Items or Service | No of Day x Qty x Price = Amount

Hi, @Lemon_1.

Could you give us a real-world example of what such a line item would look like in one of your invoices, in the context of your specific business? It'll give us a better idea of the types of businesses that would benefit from a feature like this one.

@Alexia said:
    Hi, @Lemon_1.

Could you give us a real-world example of what such a line item would look like in one of your invoices, in the context of your specific business? It'll give us a better idea of the types of businesses that would benefit from a feature like this one.

Hi Alexia,

I think any business renting out equipment, services or crew at a day rate would use this. The client wants to see the amount of items supplied at the amount of days used at the day rate. So if 1 driver works for $100 per day and is used for 5 days it is easy

Driver / 1 (unit) / 100 p/d / 5 days = 500

Then we supply the services of 3 drivers
    Driver (description) / 3 (units) / 100 p/d (unit price) / 5 days (days used) = 1500
    or
    Hotel Room / 3 Rooms/ 100 p/night / 5 Nights

The same goes for accommodation, vehicle rental and equipment to mention a few of the services we offer. Hotels etc and car rental companies would use the same?

Thanks for following up, @Lemon_1!

While this isn't possible now within Wave, I can think of a few ways to handle your case for the time being. Note that all of those are workarounds. I'll use the example with drivers.

• If you never send out more than a handful of drivers, you could create different product entries for each different number of drivers. In this situation "One driver" would cost $100 per day, "Two drivers" would cost $200 and so on. If that changes wildly from contract to contract, however, this might not be the best solution.
    • You could enter each driver as a separate line item. This wouldn't be convenient if you ever send a very large number of drivers out for a given contract.

How do you handle your invoices right now?

@Alexia said:
    Thanks for following up, @Lemon_1!

While this isn't possible now within Wave, I can think of a few ways to handle your case for the time being. Note that all of those are workarounds. I'll use the example with drivers.

• If you never send out more than a handful of drivers, you could create different product entries for each different number of drivers. In this situation "One driver" would cost $100 per day, "Two drivers" would cost $200 and so on. If that changes wildly from contract to contract, however, this might not be the best solution.
    • You could enter each driver as a separate line item. This wouldn't be convenient if you ever send a very large number of drivers out for a given contract.

How do you handle your invoices right now?

Workarounds are extra work steps- extra time
    Clients are used to seeing their information all together, accounting departments get numbers from the people ordering/ signing off on jobs. The extra time to answer all the why this and why that is not worth it.

We are on excel/pdf based invoicing now and several clients pointed us towards your products that would suit us fine if we could invoice correctly. Also the issue of credit notes (mentioned in another thread) is a problem for us as that is the only legal way to take care of "wrong"invoices for VAT purposes in 4 of the territories we work.

Are these issues you would be looking into and addressing soon? As I would not like to setup everything and then not being able to use it.

Hi, @Lemon_1.

I understand that workarounds aren't ideal and do take a bit of extra work, but for the time being, this is how you can translate your business' invoices to Wave.

Neither of these features are planned for the immediate future. I can't make any promises, but I can tell you that we do greatly value feedback from our users when we choose what features to build next for Wave. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide yours.

• IanKEIanKE Member Posts: 1

Hi @Alexia , has wave enabled adding columns. We really like you product but we can't work without a 5th column since we sell our service on a monthly basis hence the need for a "No. of months" column.

edited August 27, 2018
  • gmservicesgmservices Member Posts: 2

Hi, I just checked the wave package out and it looks really good except for the fact you can't add custom columns to invoices. Many businesses may invoice at the end of month, like I do, and need a date column for each separate day a service or item was provided throughout the month.

edited August 28, 2018

Hi, @IanKE and @gmservices.

No, it isn't currently possible to add columns to the invoices. I'd love to hear a bit more about your needs to get a better idea of how that feature would impact your business. Perhaps I could also offer a workaround.

@IanKE, could you give me a real-world example of a line item in one of your invoices? I'm not sure I understand how you would use that column. What kind of business do you run? Couldn't you use the "Unit" column for that purpose?

@gmservices, could you give me an example of that, as well as more information about your business? What services or products do you offer? If you only need the dates to appear, could you add them to the description field instead?

• gmservicesgmservices Member Posts: 2

Hi Alexia,
    I offer IT support and technical assistance to businesses. Both remotely and onsite. I have regular customers that I invoice on a monthly basis as well as one off jobs over several days or weeks. My invoices begin with a date column followed buy the service description, then quantity, rate and total. Following under that same date may also be software and hardware items used in that service on that day. An average invoice may have many itemised days like this. I get that you could list the date in the description, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having columns to separate data and make an invoice as meaningful and readable as possible. For sales and services provided over many days a date column is pretty essential way to make clear to the customer what days you were on their job and group the tasks and sales that day together. It is also helpful for cross checking all days and tasks ( sometimes for many employees) are accounted for and charged for.

• Lisa_7206Lisa_7206 Member Posts: 15

Hi All

On the subject of additional columns, is it at all possible to add a 'discount %' column?

Many Thanks.

Kind Regards
    Lisa

edited August 30, 2018

Thanks for following up with more information, @gmservices!

Hi @Lisa_7206! For the time being, there isn't a way to add discounts by percentage to an invoice or to specific items in Wave. You can add discounts, but only as line items with a negative price, which will be applied to the invoice total.

I'd love to hear more about how you would use a feature like this! In what field do you work in? Do you often issue discounts to your clients on an item-by-item basis? In what context do you issue these discounts? Are they coupons, or are they offered after negotiating prices? How do you handle this right now?