Options

Do you know about, or use, Zapier to connect Wave and other software?

ManiMani Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

We're currently having a deep look at the way our customers use Wave to help run their business. We know that for many of you, that involves other cloud based software. We're curious to know if you also use Zapier to help connect any of your cloud software to automate some of your workflows and get data into different systems?

• If you do, is Wave one of those systems you're tying together?

• If yes, what are you automating in Wave? What would you want to automate/connect and with which cloud based software?
    • If no, how come?
  • If you do not, is that something that would interest you?

• If yes, what would you want to automate/connect and with which cloud based software?
    • If no, how come?

We'd really appreciate your input as it will help us build the right capabilities for your collective needs.

Comments

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

I know we have a handful of Wavers on the community who use Zapier already or are simply eager for more ways to automate their workflow.

I would love to hear your thoughts about this @toasted_bun, @d_noome, @fjohnston, @csmicfool, @techscience, @MarcusJ, @guenthmn, and @nickman.

• Options
    csmicfoolcsmicfool Member Posts: 2

We do not and will not use Zapier. I have deep concerns about their product and do not use it for any production or secure projects.

I provided @Alexia with details previously, so I'm glad she pointed this conversation to me.

We're looking to run AR reports, push off-line transactions and create invoices, then pull the data on total receipts. This data is all being aggregated with employee data, customer data, work orders, and more so that the business leaders have clear concepts of their business performance on a single pane of glass dashboard

• Options
    fjohnstonfjohnston Member Posts: 3

We are currently using Zapier to create invoices in Wave. We use a time management system that was developed in house and works very well for our business. This system is also used to generate invoices. We'd love to be able to integrate directly with Wave via an API and create invoices in Wave once they are approved in the time management system. We have been doing this manually for years, but as we grow it is proven to not be a sustainable approach, and due to the lack of an API we have been forced to use Zapier.

The Zapier solution is far from ideal. In addition to the concerns mentioned in the previous post with Zapier as a company/product (why should I have to route my sensitive financial information through a 3rd party when it would be MUCH more secure to go directly into Wave?), there are shortcomings in the current Zapier integration:

1. Zapier's webhook functionality does not support nested arrays. It is actually quite difficult to create an invoice in Wave with more than 1 item via Zapier. We were able to work through this, but it involves creating a code step in either JS or Python, and Zapier Customer Support will not provide any assistance on code steps.
    2. The Zapier integration with Wave forces item quantity to be an INT, even though Wave supports decimal/float values. This means that all my invoices with fractional hours on them have the fractional portion dropped. Very annoying as I must now manually review every invoice in Wave after it is created. I have contacted the Zapier support team about this, but they are unable to give me a timeframe on a fix.

Currently we are only looking for the ability to create invoices in Wave via an API, but I can see the need to update invoices as well. I'm sure we could come up with many other ideas, but to be honest we haven't given it much thought because we know there is no API; not much point in dreaming up integrations if you know they can't happen.

From my perspective the Zapier integration is a work around for a large blind spot in the Wave offering. I can't think of a SaaS product that doesn't provide a fully featured API these days. Though Zapier is a great way for non-tech-savvy people to pull together different SaaS products, it cannot and does not replace a fully featured API. Additionally, there are security and data residency concerns with Zapier that are also quite concerning and I would encourage you to consider this as you examine additional integrations with Zapier.

• Options
    weldnoteweldnote Member Posts: 4

We use Zapier for many things, like creating CRM deals from sign ups on our web-site, to updating subscribers on our mail marketing platform, and we plan on doing more with it.

We don't use Wave yet because the only actions available are: 'Create customer' and 'Create Invoice'. There are no 'Create Estimate' or 'Create Bill' or the likes

The same goes for the triggers, there are none for 'Bills'

• Options
    PaulCPaulC Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback, @weldnote .
    Estimates and Bills are not on our current list of Zapier Actions to develop, but I'd be interested to know what applications you'd be wanting to connect to trigger these creates. Understanding the source and structure of this data would be helpful as we consider future updates.
    Thanks, Paul

• Options
    weldnoteweldnote Member Posts: 4

An example of 'Estimates' is for when a deal with a potential customer changes in your CRM (e.g. changes stages from Interested to Qualified), you automatically create an estimate and send it to him

• Options
    SkafteSkafte Member Posts: 34

Please also consider an integration with Integromat as an alternative to Zapier – I use both, but find Integromat much more powerful! :)

• Options
    ManiMani Member Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Thanks @Skafte. We'll dig into assessing Integromat. They're fairly new, having launched in 2016 by a small team based in Prague. We like what they're bringing to market and will start to watch closely to see if we can work with them in a suitable way to serve you and other customers of Wave.

• Options

Hi there @Mani! Many thanks for your response! I'm glad to hear that you'll consider integrating with Integromat. Although they are new, I think their system is incredibly good, and—in my opinion—has a lot more potential than Zapier. The main reason I moved from Zapier to Integromat was the lack of more advanced automation with Zapier, which Integromat handles with ease. They are doing things in a neat and powerful way, and so I think they are going to get big! ...Anyway, it might be that Integromat will consider building an integration module themselves once your new API is released :) Cheers!

• Options
    wiredafricanwiredafrican Member Posts: 9

Hi, I've been a long time user of Wave and one of the main issues for us is the slow release of new features and integration abilities. Having been in IT development for the past 25 years and setting aside obvious testing and stability requirements may I suggest a slight change in strategy - Allow users to access Beta functions if they are willing to accept the additional risk. And finish building a decent API covering the most important operational and reporting aspects of an accounting platform that good 3rd party vendors such as Integromat can cater to.

My Wave experience is that the roll-out of more important features appears to be superseded by what I deem to be low priority changes. i.e. Re-branding Wave. I think the majority of users would agree that functionality trumps aesthetics.

Examples for my business are things such as customisation of reports (BAS/AU GST), Non-US Payroll, proper API access, transaction rules to automate or make transaction allocation easier (simple conditional rules based upon reference and value range). There are many more fantastic community suggestions that I would prefer over a re-brand.

p.s. Love the new brand!

• Options
    AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @wiredafrican,

Thank you for the compliment on the rebrand! Glad to hear you like it!

We are actually working on bringing a new API to Wave right now. If you'd like to be kept informed of any developments, you can register your interest here[link].

Thank you for your feedback! We always appreciate when Wavers take the time to share theirs.

• Options
    DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm new to Wave.
    I use Checkfront for managing my bookings (I operate an "equipment rental" company).
    I've just set up Zapier to create invoices in Wave when there is a confirmed booking in Checkfront.
    For this, I use a Webhook.

I still need to do more "live" test, and see if, in the long run, this all works the way I need.

• Options
    adhillonadhillon Member Posts: 1

We would like to offer online signups for a subscription based service. We are leaning towards Zapier to integrate SOHO Subscriptions, add a new customer in Wave and then issue recurring invoices (from Wave). Alternatively, we could integrate SOHO with Square and then add customers to Wave. Its all in a flux at this time. I would welcome comments and suggestions to this setup.

• Options

Hi @adhillon ,
    That sounds like a good implementation.
    Just a heads-up that available Wave actions include creating an Invoice, but not yet starting a series of Recurring invoices.
    One approach that might work for you is to create an invoice in Wave when you get a new subscription in SOHO (add a 'Search' step in Zapier to find the Customer and create if not found). You can then review the invoice in Wave, and use that as the basis to create your Recurring Invoice template.
    Hope that helps!

• Options
    wiredafricanwiredafrican Member Posts: 9

@Dedric said:
    I'm new to Wave.
    I use Checkfront for managing my bookings (I operate an "equipment rental" company).
    I've just set up Zapier to create invoices in Wave when there is a confirmed booking in Checkfront.

I still need to do more "live" test, and see if, in the long run, this all works the way I need.

Hi @Dedric
    I see that you are using Checkfront. Perhaps you'd be interested in getting in touch with me for a better solution than Checkfront but does WAY more and costs less?

• Options
    DedricDedric Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

Well, you can always send me a PM.
    (preferably with a link to trial/demo). I'll have a look....

@wiredafrican said:

@Dedric said:
    I'm new to Wave.

Hi @Dedric
    I see that you are using Checkfront. Perhaps you'd be interested in getting in touch with me for a better solution than Checkfront but does WAY more and costs less?

• Options
    Roller_AngelRoller_Angel Member Posts: 2
    I use Calend.ly for scheduling. Please add integration: https://calendly.com/pages/integrations

Using my own Python code for everything else.
  • Options
    jared420jared420 Member Posts: 4

I use zappier to connect wave with stripe and square.

• Options
    ZoltanZoltan Member Posts: 1

I'd use it for many useful automatisations, for example to send trustpilot invite to the customer automatically, once the whole balance is paid.

My biggest pain with Wave integrations, is the lack of triggers. There are only two of them, triggers when you make a new invoice, or create a new customer.

If I had to choose one trigger, I'd ask for one when an invoice is getting paid (partially or completely).

edited June 2, 2019
  • Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! Thanks for reaching out and continuously adding your insight and input into Wave's integrations with Zapier. We're looking to improve our integrations in the future, by both improving what we already use as well as expanding our list of integrations. Because of this, we're also constantly looking for user feedback - both positive and negative - so keep it coming!

@Zoltan Thanks for your feedback here. As mentioned above, we're looking to expand this in the future, so your input here on which trigger you'd benefit from the most is greatly appreciated!

• Options
    FrankHaganFrankHagan Member Posts: 2

I use Zapier to send invoice details to my business automation software, Ontraport. I work for them and use the software in my "side hustle" as well. I have a Custom Object (relational database table) in Ontraport that lists Wave invoices for each transaction.

Not all of my sales come through Wave, so this table allows me to see both Wave and Ontraport invoices in any contact record. I'd love to develop a direct integration between the two and trigger a manual transaction in Ontraport so the sales reports also reflected both systems.

• Options
    ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@FrankHagan Thanks providing a specific example of a type of integration that would be useful for you! Wow, relational databases- sounds fancy! Just like Alex said, we're listening! Keep the feedback coming :)

• Options
    JordacheJordache Member Posts: 1

When do you expect your Integromat integration to be up to the same level as your Zapier integration?

Current Ingtegromat options:

Current Zapier options:

• Options

Hello @Jordache,

Wave's Zapier integration was build by Wave, and is under our control. By contrast, the Integromat integration points you are seeing are built and maintained by Integromat. We have no say on when they may add to these.

That said, our APIs are steadily expanding, so if Integromat see demand from their customers to connect to more of Wave, then I would expect they will introduce new features.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers, Paul

• Options

Hi @PaulC (CC: @Jordache),

thanks for your quick response to this!

I'm not a developer, but from what I can understand, Integromat has already made all the options available that are currently offered by Wave through your public API. So correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it currently Wave's API that is limiting what Integromat can offer and not what Integromat is prioritizing through their integration modules? Hope that makes sense... If I am wrong, then I'll happily push for a more fully fleshed integration from Integromat! :)

Many thanks!

• Options

Hi @Skafte,

Wave's public API currently supports the following (main) services:

• Read, create, update and delete Customers
    • Read, create, update and delete Products
    • Read, create and send Invoices
    • Read, create and update Sales Taxes
    • Read and create Accounts
    • Create 'money-type' transactions (i.e. deposits and withdrawals from bank accounts, including categorization but not Transfers).

Currently, Integromat offers integrations to Customers, but not - so far as I can see - other endpoints.

Hope that helps, Paul

• Options
    WaveCWaveC Member Posts: 1

@PaulC I use Zapier to connect WaveApps with Lob for automatically mailing off letters. Unfortunately the 2 WaveApps exposed triggers, New Invoice/New Customers, are important but not a good whole story of what WaveApps can be used for. I'd like for Customer Statements to be a trigger as well.

• Options

Hi @WaveC,

Thanks for sharing how you are using wave with Zapier.

At this time, we don't have any way to expose customer statements via our API to Zapier (also, I'm not sure what 'event' would cause us to fire a customer statement trigger?), but I've made a note of your suggestion and we'll certainly explore this when we next review expanding our customer/invoice-related API services.

I appreciate your feedback.

• Options
    jthawkejthawke Member Posts: 2

We are looking to move our accounting, invoicing and payroll to Wave. We run our business on a custom Filemaker Pro platform and are looking for integration. At this time, Zapier does not work natively with Filemaker Server, but the new Claris Connect does. Are you planning to support Claris Connect at any point in the future? Currently, Quickbooks does but we don't really want to go down that road.