Date Format

Ioannis IoannouIoannis Ioannou Member Posts: 1

Hello, i have signed up for this service, but i have a small problem. I cannot change the date format from the US format to European one, the field is missing. A friend of mine he has this option under ->ACCOUNTING -> Dates & Currency.

Any help on that?

Comments

• Dante_BulluckDante_Bulluck Member Posts: 52 ✭✭

Based on posting in this section, it sounds like you're trying to change the date format for invoices? The setting you refer to only modifies the appearance in the reporting, it won't change the date format for invoices (I don't believe this can be changed).

• akakkakakk Member Posts: 1

my date defaults to Euro and I need the date format to be USA. are you saying this can't be changed? I just think it will look funny to my clients here.

• SophiaSophia Member Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all! You can update the date format by going to Settings > Dates & Currency and selecting your preferred format from the dropdown menu called "Date Format." Once saved, this format will be used on your reports.

edited January 29, 2018
  • WitTierWitTier Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone. @Sophia I do not have a Date Format dropdown menu under Dates & Currency. So it seems I cannot set/change the date format. What do I do? Any help would be much appreciated.

• SophiaSophia Member Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi @WitTier It sounds like you're using the updated version of our accounting application. The date format can't be updated, but will appear on invoices as "January 29, 2018" (for example) which to my knowledge is not region specific.

• JoJoJoJo Member Posts: 2

I’ve just signed up. I am in the UK and am logged in on a PC. I am trying to change the receipt input date format from the US format to DD-MM-YYYY and can’t seem to find this function. I can’t believe you can’t change this but by the sound of the last comment I cannot do this, is that correct?

Thanks

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi @JoJo, you are right, the date formats in Wave cannot be changed. This won't affect anything your clients would see, just the data on your end.

If it's something that you absolutely need for your business, I'd recommend reading up how we choose what features we build next on this post, and consider making a feature post following the guidelines posted there.

edited March 17, 2018
  • vicchickvicchick Member Posts: 3

Hi there, the date format in my version of Wave is YYYY/MM/DD and that is how it is showing on all documents (including invoices). Is there a way to change the way it is presented on invoices? I don't have the dropdown box under dates and currency to change the format overall but US customers don't like to see the date presented in that format. Thank you,

• AlexiaAlexia Member Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, @vicchick.

There's no way to change the date format in Wave, but the good news is that your clients won't see the date written in this format on invoices. On invoices, the date always shows written out, instead of abbreviated. So your clients will see "June 1st, 2018" and not "2018/06/01".

• vicchickvicchick Member Posts: 3

Thank you

• DannyDanny Member Posts: 6

@Alexia said:
    So your clients will see "June 1st, 2018" and not "2018/06/01".

This really needs to be addressed in the software. In Australia we do not date anything with month first. Looks odd. Other software you can change date format, currency format and the like.

edited June 24, 2018
  • NatoNato Member Posts: 1

I'm Australian, and I know your pain too Danny.

Upon looking at my receipts further, it looks like the issue might worse or easier to fix than expected.

On my receipts (where the date is printed as xx/xx/xxxx), the date resolves to the American date format. However (where on the receipt the date is printed as xx-xx-xxxx), the date resolves to the Australian date format.

It might be as simple as updating the parsing code after the OCR extracts the details from the scanned receipt.

• MalphiteMalphite Member Posts: 1

@Nato said:

Hay Nato and Danny,

yes I am also from Australia to. i have gone to Settings, date and currency yet i am unable to change the date layout.

could there be a solution to fix this?

• blowfly_1blowfly_1 Member Posts: 1

Hi Katie, This is bothering me greatly as well. Please arrange for alternative date formats for those of us not in the US.

• fantasymetamorfacesfantasymetamorfaces Member Posts: 1

I am in Brisbane where we use EST. But it looks like it is on GMT on my invoices. So, instead of my invoices being due Friday EST, it is now due Friday GMT. I am billing Australian customers, not customers on GMT time. How do I fix this?

• Siobhan_HitchmoughSiobhan_Hitchmough Administrator Posts: 19 admin

@blowfly_1 to echo Katie's comment above, it helps to know how many community members have an interest in more flexible invoice date displays so thanks for joining in here! :smile:

@fantasymetamorfaces any chance we're talking about a recurring invoice here? The scheduler for recurring invoices should let you your customer's timezone when you're creating them (more detail on that here). That should meant that any recurring invoices being sent on your customer's timeline. For regular (one time) invoices, while the invoice page shows your due dates in UTC, reminders are sent out based on EST. I hope that helps clear up how invoices are working right now (and why you may see some different timing than you're expecting). This is definitely something we're discussing with the community here so you may want to have a look at that discussion when you have some time.

Thanks again for taking the time to share, it all helps us understand how these things affect your businesses!

• Cliff_JCliff_J Member Posts: 1

I believe there is a related issue to this.
    I am based in Sydney Australia and have found the following:
    If an invoice is sent as 'Due on Receipt' the customer receives an email that states payment is due the day before the invoice was issued.
    I am guessing that the date issue is related to the fact that your servers are North American based and cannot handle multiple time-zones. So my problem with due date and the other issue of using the "correct" :smile: dd/mm/yyyy system are server related.
    Does this sound feasible?

• Mumrah72Mumrah72 Member Posts: 1

This is also very frustrating here in the UK, where we use DD/MM/YYYY. For some reason it's just easier to read! it's logical.....

• linkalanguageslinkalanguages Member Posts: 1

Just wanted to echo the others saying that I think this is something that should definitely be fixed and I hope it happens soon. I am a linguist based in Europe so I feel like it looks like a huge oversight on my part to be using the American format when I'm usually translating into or editing UK English. It should ready "29 January 2019" not "January 29, 2019". Otherwise Waveapps is great, but as part of my job is literally to know details like this I worry it reflects badly on my professionalism.

edited March 5, 2019
  • Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the feedback about this! This type of change to the format won't be changing right now, although it's something that we can likely revisit once we have everyone migrated to the new version. Keep the insight coming so that--when that day comes--we have a wealth of use cases which we can refer to for future refinements.

• vickivicki Member Posts: 1

I have just joined Wave and also cannot change the date format. And yes although on invoices it shows out in word format it is very annoying that it is done how it is when creating the invoicing. I'm in Australia and we write dd/mm/yyyy. Also being in Queensland we don't have daylight saving which I guess would be a minor issue when the other states have it........at least its only an hour out but better that than the way Wave puts the dates in now. Surely it would be an easy fix to give the option with coding? Look forward to it happening hopefully soon.

• WappererWapperer Member Posts: 7

Yes - im also finding this extremely confusing and distracting when entering receipts/bills etc. I just can't understand why something so elementary is not possible - why did Wave opt to go for USA formatting for dates? is that where most of Waves market is? Surely the EU is much bigger?

• seekaybeeseekaybee Member Posts: 1
    +1 Just chiming in about the date format. Receipts reads dates as mm/dd/yyyy by default, but my receipts are all dd/mm/yyyy . This entails manually editing every receipt. There should be a way to toggle which format to use.
  • SallyJaneSallyJane Member Posts: 2

I've just started to use Wave as a UK Customer. Please can you give us the option of which date format we can use. It looks highly unprofessional to send invoices in the UK using the US date system. Also it is highly confusing as it just is a system we do not use here and confusion always reigns.

• Viffer800Viffer800 Member Posts: 2

Another +1 for dd/mm/yyyy date format. I'm in the UK

I won't use Wave with yyyy/mm/dd

edited June 7, 2019
  • KirrynKirryn Member Posts: 1

Another +1 for options to change the date format (I'm in Australia). I have just sent my first invoice out to my first client and asked her to let me know if there was any issues. She said there were none except the date appeared in the American format - so it is something that clients pick up on and doesn't seem right.

• alexlollyalexlolly Member Posts: 1

Adding another to the date format flexibility. The US is literally the ONLY country to use that format, please make standard option available. It would definitely be a deal breaker for some users.

• clintonallen23clintonallen23 Member Posts: 1

Another +1 for this feature. Very annoying not to be able to change this regionally. No different than changing the currency in my opinion. A base feature.

• MyronMyron Member Posts: 143 admin

Hi @clintonallen23 @alexlolly @Kirryn @Viffer800, thank you for giving your +1s to this feature request. I just wanted to let you know that your feedback has been acknowledged and is very much appreciated. Your comments really do play a major part in helping us decide what to focus on.

edited July 10, 2019
  • SunburySunbury Member Posts: 2

And another +1 for having a date format that can be changed please.