How to create an invoice

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to create an invoice

Creating an invoice is one of the first (and most common) things you'll do in Wave, and Wave makes creating and sending invoices easy.

Click on Sales in the menu at the left of your screen and sel...

Read the full story here

edited December 7, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• GrahamgGrahamg Member Posts: 3

Hi Joey. If my unit price already has VAT (12%) included, can i set up that the Amount shows the Unit price minus VAT. The VAT will then be added at the end of the invoice.

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @Grahamg, unfortunately not in that case. To have it appear that way, you'd need to setup your item in Sales > Products & Services, and input the total as the amount less the VAT. You'd also need to create a Sales Tax called VAT for 12% if you haven't already. Still on the Products & Services page, you'd need to select to apply the VAT to your item.

This way, when it appears on invoices, it will show your item total before tax, but automate applying the tax to the items, so you wouldn't need to add the tax each time you added the item to an invoice.

• sulindi16sulindi16 Member Posts: 1

Hi there. I am a Play Therapist and would need to add ICD-10 codes and medical Aid info. How can I add all that to my invoices?

• Steven_Schinkel1Steven_Schinkel1 Member Posts: 2

How do I delete items from the items list?

• EmmanuelEmmanuel Member Posts: 6

Hi @sulindi16 if these codes are specific to each invoice, you can add them in the notes. If they are supposed to be the same on all invoices, you can add them to the standard memo, found in "settings" (at the bottom of the navigation bar) and "Invoice customization" under "Sales".
    Hi @Steven_Schinkel1 items can be deleted on the Products page, found in "Products & Services" under "Sales"

• Steven_Schinkel1Steven_Schinkel1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Emmanuel.
    Under "Invoice customization" there is no category "sales". I'm also unable to locate "products and services" anywhere.
  • JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Steven_Schinkel1. If you take a look at the 'Sales' section in Wave (which is on the left hand side) you should be able to see Products & Services located underneath that section -- this is where you would be able to delete the items.

• KulaasKulaas Member Posts: 2

Hello! We are a firm providing legal services and would like to have the invoice customised to include an 'Our ref.'(reference) section above/below the invoice date, is that possible?

Or as the P.O./S.O. Number section is pretty redundant, perhaps we could change that? Is there any way to do that at least?

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@Kulaas you won't be able to change the default template options, so even if you can fit your reference section into the PO/SO field, it'll still be labelled as such.

Is it possible to include these details in the notes or footer of the invoice? Is the placement of the reference section something that a regulatory requirement, where the specific placement on the invoice is legally required? Or is this a personal preference?

• KulaasKulaas Member Posts: 2

@Ryan_W more of a personal preference to match the invoice to the file and for easy reference. including these in the PO/SO field may be slightly confusing. Perhaps we could include these details in the notes. Thank you!

• Emilie_MartelEmilie_Martel Member Posts: 2

Hi, what if the customer already paid? Is there any to change to 'paiement due' to 'already paid' or something?

• Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @Emilie_Martel the "paid" status of an invoice is default language which can't be changed. When do you find yourself in situations where you'd like to see this distinction? I'm only asking because the respective due dates and payment dates should give enough insight to make this distinction, although I'm curious if there's something specific to your day-to-day business needs that we can dig into a bit more here. Let me know!

• jowjow Member Posts: 1
    Hi, if I am unable to connect my bank account, how will customers know where to pay to and how will the app update when the payment is made?
  • srb101srb101 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    When I convert an estimate to an invoice the notes from the estimate carry over to the invoice and invoice notes don't appear. My estimate notes only contain basic contact details in case of questions but my invoice notes contain payment details so I'd like them to replace the estimate notes when I convert them. Is there a way to overcome this? Thank :smile:
  • SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

@jow if you head over to Settings > Payouts, you should be able to include your bank information this way for deposit. Even if you cannot connect directly, select 'Other Institution' or try searching for 'X'. This will prompt you to enter your deposit details in the same way you would a void check. Note, this only works for depositing funds as that is all we need to send details over. But for pulling in transactions from your bank we do need a successful bank connection.

• DevinDevin Member Posts: 10

An invoice was sent out to a client who then asked us to direct it to a different organization/person. In response, I have duplicated the original invoice, updated bill to info, and resend it to the correct organization/person.

As expected, duplicating an invoice caused the system to generate a new invoice # for it. As the original invoice no longer apply, how do I properly cancel it using the "Record a payment" option so the old invoice no longer appear on unpaid list? Thanks.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @Devin. You will want to make sure that all transactions associated with that invoice are already deleted (if they aren't already) and from there, you should be able to click on the 'More Actions' tab on the invoice itself, and this will allow you to delete it from the section (you can then re-number the new invoice so it fits correctly with your workflow).

• yostanyostan Member Posts: 1

Hello, I have been looking for my saved invoices and cannot find them. How do I find them?

• evensevenevenseven Member Posts: 2

I keep getting this error message when trying to approve invoices, either after creating new or duplicating existing invoices. I have the correct level of access etc. Tried various browsers, devices still the same error.
    "Oops! There was an issue with approving your draft. Please try again."

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

@yostan you should be able to view all of your invoices by clicking: Sales -> Invoices -> click the 'All Invoices' tab. This will show all invoices you have created in Wave (paid, draft, partial, overdue).

@evenseven thanks for reaching out! Are you still having issues with your invoicing? This may be related to the issue we experienced last week where invoicing went down for a short period of time. The error returned was the same as you experienced. This should be fixed now. Let me know if not!

• evensevenevenseven Member Posts: 2

yes is resolved now, guess I was unlucky.

• RCONROYRCONROY Member Posts: 1

IS THERE A WAY TO REQUEST A PARTIAL/PROGRESS PAYMENT? FOR EXAMPLE IF THE INVOICE IS FOR 1,000 BUT I AM ONLY REQUESTING 500 AT THIS TIME

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @RCONROY . There's no built-in feature to do this, but because invoices can always be partially paid, you can outline what your expectations are in the Notes of the invoice (like pay $500 on "this date", and the remainder on "this date.")

Alternatively, you can send out more than one invoice if necessary: one for the deposit, and one for the remainder payment.

edited October 21, 2019
  • lbfsclbfsc Member Posts: 1

Are we charged the fee for paying online or the customer?

• purplepaddie72purplepaddie72 Member Posts: 1

I need to know how to connect invoices to my yahoo mail account or do I create a new wave email account.
    Jo Ann

• VitalLivingVitalLiving Member Posts: 2

My question is regrading the line items. I have a flat rate fee for line item and a second line item for Ingredients. The amount I am paid for the flat rate is income, the ingredient line is reimbursment for money I spent on the client. How do I categorize this as such?

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @lbfsc! Your customer will be charged for the entire invoice amount and the fee will be taken when processing and the remainder deposited into your bank account. For example, the fee for credit cards is 2.9% plus an additional 30 cents per transaction. So if you send an invoice for $100 Wave collects $3.20 total depositing $96.80 into your account.

Hi Jo Ann @purplepaddie72! After creating an invoice when you get to the 'send' section you can choose to send with 'Gmail, Outlook or Yahoo. If you select this option it will allow you to send the invoice using your personal Yahoo account.

Hi @VitalLiving! If you want to account for reimbursable expenses on an invoice I recommend checking out this Wave guide on the topic. It should walk you through the process so you can set this up for your invoices!

• NaomiRNaomiR Member Posts: 1
    If I have a new customer, how come I can’t start their invoice number at #1 if I’ve already used that invoice number for a prior customer? Also, is there an work-around to this? I want to be able to start a new customers’ invoice as #1. Thanks for your help!
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @NaomiR

The workaround here would be to manually change the name of the invoice. For example if you were invoicing me, you'd start with Barsin 1. If you created your next invoice, it would automate to Barsin 2. So you'll need to manually keep track of which invoices were already sent. You can use the filter options to see this under your invoices page. But since Wave is not project-based accounting, but instead, transaction based accounting, this cannot be automated.

edited March 5, 2020
  • ILPILP Member Posts: 8

Is there any way to not have the country included as part of our & our customer's address? Also, we just turned on Payments and the block containing "Pay Securely Online" and the credit card logos is taking up a lot of space. Is there any way to minimize that? When we have more than one line item (with 1-3 line description), the invoices are now going on to a 2nd page, which we'd like to avoid. We do use the notes & footer to communicate required/important information to our customers, so we can't eliminate those, so I'm wondering if there's any way to remove/minimize some of the other information which we really don't need. (If it matters, we're currently using the Contemporary template, but it looks like the basic blocks are the same regardless of the template.)