Options

How to split a transaction

Comments

• Options
    ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @waveuser123! It is not possible to split transactions in the app, that will need be done on the transactions page in your main Wave account. The receipts app is meant to be used for uploading and storing your receipts, with the bookkeeping side of things being kept to your main account. :smile:

• Options
    ali_entezariunali_entezariun Member Posts: 1

How do you attach 2 separate receipts to the line items that have been split out of a single transaction? In the old system, I could attach a different receipt to each of the sub-items. I cant figure out how to do this now. Example, I pay a vendor a total of $1000 for 2 separate receipts. I want to split this into $600 and $400 and attach the relevant receipts to each. The splitting can be done, but the attaching of receipts cant.

FYI, I have 2 separate businesses. One is still running on the old Wave platform, and the other is on the new one. I have been working in both platforms on a daily basis for the past 3-4 months and still cant get used to the new platform. the old one is much more intuitive in terms of looking at transactions, adding details, merging, splitting, marking as reviewed, filtering, etc. Not happy with the upgrade on the transactions page :( very happy with the upgrade on the reporting side :)

• Options
    AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @ali_entezariun . First off, thanks for your feedback on the upgrades. We do like to hear what our users think we've improved on, as well as where we could have done better. With that being said, we're actively working on making improvements, even to the new software to create the best product available.

You cannot currently merge numerous receipt transactions to a single transaction that has been split. If you're applying Bill Payments to Bills and you want to merge receipts with the Bill payments, I'd recommend creating totally separate Bill payments (1 for $600 and 1 for $400) so that you can merge the receipt transactions with the corresponding Bill payment.

• Options
    ong_businessong_business Member Posts: 4

Hi, I hope someone knows a good way to split one receipt that is associated to 3 transactions spread over two months. I receive one receipt after three Bank transfers over two months. For example, the receipt is $100 dated 3 May, for transactions on 14 Mar $60, 28 Mar $30, and 15 Apr $10. I tried splitting the uploaded receipt into three amounts, but I cannot set the date for each transaction to match the actual fund transfer date. Hope there is a better way. Thanks in advance. Aaron

• Options
    Ryan_WRyan_W Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Hey @ong_business what you're describing isn't really possible, although I just want to make sure I understand the situation you're describing.

Do all three of these payments occur separately, and reflect in your transactions in Wave as such? As in, the receipt itself doesn't represent an actual transaction that took place in your bank account (i.e., you were never debited for $100 as a whole)?

If so, uploading this receipt might mess with your ability to reconcile, simply because it'll create its own $100 expense transaction once it posts to your accounting. Meanwhile, if this total of $100 is already reflected in your books in the form of the three separate withdrawals during March and April, you're essentially duplicating your $100 expense.

In this case, you may be better off just taking a photo of the receipt, saving it your mobile gallery, but not posting it to Wave since this receipt doesn't actually represent a real-life transaction. This way, you still have a digital copy for reference, without it misrepresenting what actually happened in your bank account. If I've misinterpreted the situation, please let me know!

• Options
    elaformeelaforme Member Posts: 2
    I have a question about splitting a deposit, but I don't see any responses to my exact problem. When splitting a deposit, it is sometimes split 10 or more x's (especially a deposit from PayPal), I need to attach a separate note to each split explaining what the transaction was for. I used to be able to do this, now it wants to lump all my comments into one note..... not useful!
  • Options
    SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @elaforme - ah okay, you are correct. In the current version of transaction splitting, it doesn't delineate each split as it did in our older platform. Thank you for your feedback, and I apologize about the frustration this change has caused! The intention was to clean up and organize split transactions, but I can see how this functionality is not ideal in these circumstances (as well as a few others). I'll make sure this is seen by our Product Team!

• Options
    JustinaEditJustinaEdit Member Posts: 6

I was able to split the lump sum on my receipt into two different payments, but unable to merge the transactions with the receipt. How do I do that?

• Options
    ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@JustinaEdit I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to do this as the transaction amount has to equal the receipt amount in order to merge them. Merging splits with receipts is not a feature in Wave. Sorry for the letdown!

• Options

@ckeen_1244 said:
    @JustinaEdit I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to do this as the transaction amount has to equal the receipt amount in order to merge them. Merging splits with receipts is not a feature in Wave. Sorry for the letdown!

Any suggestions how to sort this out? Should I just delete the receipt and leave two transactions?

• Options
    ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@JustinaEdit How is the purchase logged on your bank statement? I would try to keep your Wave records as closely aligned to your bank statement as possible.

• Options

Thank you. Bank transaction €204.25, Cash paid € 12.00, invoice total €216.25

edited July 1, 2019
  • Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @JustinaEdit

The idea is to keep your Wave account reconciled with your bank statement. So in the previous version, splitting the transaction separated it into two transaction line items. When reconciling, this wouldn't match up with what your bank statements. So unfortunately a receipt can only be merged with a transaction where the amounts match as @ckeen_1244 previously mentioned.

In regards your transaction breakdown, I'm not entirely sure if this was in regards to an invoice payment or a bank imported transaction, and if so what receipt would you be trying to upload to your invoice payment? Curious to know how else we can help.

• Options
    canadianskylinecanadianskyline Member Posts: 3

Hi !
    I have a negative amount (refunds higher than sales) on one transaction that I want to split and it doesn't add up when I put the right numbers. I changed the category to "labor income" but that didn't help. Can you help me please?

• Options
    ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @canadianskyline, thanks for reaching out! I believe that you will need 2 transactions to account for this accurately; the first being the income transaction for the invoice payment which can be categorized as Payment received for an invoice in Wave, which will allow you to select the correct invoice. And the second transaction would be the refund transaction, which can be categorized as Refund sent for an invoice in Wave. This will account for the income your received on the invoice and the refund you sent. Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:

• Options
    BenFromIowaBenFromIowa Member Posts: 1

@Zoe_caff I think I've been encountering a similar issue as @canadianskyline, only we are not using Wave for invoicing.
    Our credit card transactions are lumped together daily. I split transactions to track sales per employee--but sometimes there are refunds and I haven't found a good way to split these transactions that consist of +/- flow of money without actually deleting the transaction that Wave brought in from my connected bank account and creating two separate transactions. Is there something I'm not seeing?

IIRC this was possible in "old Wave".

• Options
    canadianskylinecanadianskyline Member Posts: 3

Hi @BenFromIowa I finally figured out to input the numbers negatively from what I thought they would be during the splitting of transaction... somehow that worked and balanced out...I hope this helps.

• Options

Hey @BenFromIowa . I'm not sure I fully understand exactly how you're using the system, but I think I have a Help Center article that will help you add negatives to your transactions based on what I am understanding. Feel free to check out the article below which should break down the steps on exactly how to handle this.

https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000472306-How-to-account-for-transaction-fees

If you've tried this and it doesn't work for your situation, feel free to further explain your workflow so I can have a better understanding.

• Options
    mario_var7mario_var7 Member Posts: 4

Hi There, with the new system multiple transactions were merged under "Migration Adjustment Entry", however when I click on this transaction I don't have the option to SPLIT it. What is the workaround?

• Options
    BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @mario_var7

This is an accounting adjustment entry, it cannot be edited. This was our system needing to clear up your previous transactions in order to move forward with the Next Accounting software you're currently up to date with. You may notice small adjustment entries on prior fiscal year-ends, as well as the date your account was upgraded. In our updated platform, we made improvements to how we total invoices, bills, and foreign currency transactions. These improvements may result in penny discrepancies due to rounding. We’ve added these adjustment entries to ensure your yearly reporting for each fiscal year remains the same.

My apologies if this affects your months reconciliation. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything else.

• Options
    JackChuaJackChua Member Posts: 1

Hi, how can i delete the entry? the migration adjustment entry made the account not able to tally and the figure is huge. thanks

• Options
    Bob_JBob_J Member Posts: 2

How do I include negative numbers in a split. For example: Payroll for John Doe:
    1000 salary
    -145 taxes fed
    -25 taxes state

• 30 IRA
      Total transaction 800
      ???
  • Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @JackChua. At present, the migration adjustment entry cannot be deleted. If you'd like to let us know what your particular discrepancies are, we'd be happy to help.

@Bob_J As long as you have those taxes set up within your Chart of Accounts as expenses/fees, you should be able to access them under the 'Fee' category in the split. That'll create them as a negative part of that transaction. I'm thinking that you might want to create journal entries instead when it comes to payroll! Might be a little easier to manage.

• Options
    palosantopalosanto Member Posts: 7

I have split a bulk payment as per @Katie_Silkina instructions but since merging is not possible anymore in the new system, the transactions page now shows the total payment from the client AND the two applied payments to the invoices so Wave thinks that I've been paid twice (the total amount and the 2 individual ones). See screenshot.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p8yuocvkavolcr/wave-split.jpg?dl=0
    How do I resolve this and also attach the invoices to the split payment?
    Also the category:"Payment received for an invoice in Wave" that you keep referring to doesn't exist in the dropdown category list, am I supposed to create it? I created one called split payment

edited December 18, 2019
  • Options
    VectorBenVectorBen Member Posts: 6

How does one resolve the ACH credit with the associated invoice and merchant fees? It's showing up as double income and unlike the previous version, I can't merge split transactions with individual transactions.
    Example:
    ACH credit wave: $95.00 (income)
    Merchant Account fees: $5.00 (expense)
    Invoice Payment: $100 (income)

In the past I would split the ACH credit into an expense and income, then merge these with the transactions associated with the invoice payment and merchant fees.

Disregard - the ACH items are now categorized as a transfer from Wave Payments to the biz checking.

edited December 17, 2019
  • Options
    Liam_TLiam_T Member Posts: 6

we charge our subcontractors a fee which we deduct straight from their invoice. e.g. they invoice us $100, we charge them $25 facilities fee. I used to split their payment:
    $100 expense
    -$25 to our income account
    =net $75 payment on the statement

How do I do this now, it won't allow me to input a negative????

• Options
    SouthMauiSandandSunSouthMauiSandandSun Member Posts: 1

So far so good. But what if your deposit includes some components that are actually expenses? For example, we have a vacation rental property and VRBO sends us payments that may include deposits from some customers but refunds to others. Wave only seems to allow either all income categories (except for payment processing fees) or all expense categories. How do I mix them within a single transaction?

• Options

Hi @Liam_T @SouthMauiSandandSun . To add a negative to an income transaction, check out the following article. This is used for transaction/merchant fees, but it also works for any sort of general negative amount.

How to account for transaction fees

• Options
    Liam_TLiam_T Member Posts: 6

Thanks a lot AlexL.. didn't know it had to be categorized as discounts and fees.

Is there no way to just add as a - amount and then allocate as income to an outstanding invoice?

To give it some context, we charge our subcontractors a monthly administrative fee, which I used to invoice them for, they deducted straight from their charge to us and I accounted that excess to the outstanding invoice... no way of doing that any more?

Thanks.

• Options
    ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @Liam_T! Unfortunately, you're correct, in that there is no way of doing that anymore. I totally hear where you're coming from and appreciate you offering your use case, but this is not something that would be possible without using that 'Discounts and Fees' category.