How to view, edit, or delete an invoice

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageHow to view, edit, or delete an invoice

It's easy to view, edit or delete an Invoice. Whichever you need to do, it starts with clicking on Invoices in the menu at the left side of your screen...
To view an invoice:

Find the invoice you ...

Read the full story here

edited December 23, 2018 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• MarkLMarkL Member Posts: 1

I want to remove some previous customers but they will NOT delete.
    The message instructs to delete the invoices.
    Recurring transaction paid invoices will NOT delete either. So I still cannot delete customers or recurring transactions. Must be a bug in the software because I have read and tried all the instructions and nothing works.

edited December 23, 2018
  • JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@MarkL Customers that are attached to invoices are not able to be deleted for reporting purposes. Effectively, if you are looking to delete customers, you will need to remove them from the invoice and replace them with another customer. Once a customer is attached to no invoices, then they will be able to be deleted from Wave.

This process will only work for invoices that are not paid through Payments by Wave. If they have been paid through Payments by Wave, I'm afraid that the customer is no longer editable due to the payment being made and Wave needing a record of this as funds have been moved on your behalf.

• LeCopywriterLeCopywriter Member Posts: 1

Any chance we can have the option to convert a sent invoice back into a draft invoice? For example, if I send an invoice to a client but they decide to put the job on hold, I'd like to undo the invoice without deleting it, so that I have a record of it for when they want to start the project. Right now, there's no option other than to delete.

• AndrewFromWaveAndrewFromWave Member Posts: 10 admin

Hi @LeCopywriter currently there isn't a way to convert an approved or sent invoice to a draft or estimate. However, if you want to keep a record of the project you could delete the original invoice and recreate it as a draft, or even create an estimate in the Estimates section of Wave and send that to your customer so you both have a record of the pending project details without cluttering up your invoice tracking :smile:

Let me know if that seems like it could work for you or if there are any reasons why it might not be ideal for your situation—your feedback really does help us improve Wave every day!

• jgarsenajgarsena Member Posts: 3

Is it possible to remove/hide the "Grand Total" at the bottom of an Estimate? My estimate includes options e.g. Full Day, Half Day, etc., that a potential client has to choose. So a cumulative display of all service costs is both inaccurate and could cause an initial shock or confusion for the prospect. Any ideas or workarounds?

• SophiaSophia Member Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hey @jgarsena, in this case I'd recommend creating two estimates, one for each possibility. That way, when your client decides what option they want to pursue, you can easily convert the selected estimate into a working invoice, and there's no risk of your client misunderstanding what they're paying for :) please let me know if we can help any further!

• PrismaArts_2810PrismaArts_2810 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to delete an item(s)?
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @PrismaArts_2810

You should be able to delete the item if you select the invoice > edit invoice > then select the trash can icon beside the item. You can also zero out the value of the item, or add a new item.

• JFernandesJFernandes Member Posts: 3

Hi!
    Is there any way to resize the columns in the invoice. In my invoice, I have the Service, Hours, Rate and Amount. I notice the Service description is about 1/3 of the line, leaving a lot of empty space for the other columns. When the description is extensive, the invoice is extremely long and my customers are starting to complain because it takes to many pages, when there is enough space in the right side of the invoice. Is there any workaround?

Hey there @JFernandes

Unfortunately this kind of customization is not possible in your Wave invoice. The only customizable options are found in the Settings > Invoice customization. You do have the option to select from three different invoice templates, but things such as resizing columns or spacing etc is not possible in our current customization parameters. I apologize that this is affecting your business with your clientele. Perhaps you might be able to try a different template that will work for you?

• JFernandesJFernandes Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your answer.
    The same behavior occurs with the others two templates. Maybe the easy way to solve this is having more templates available.

Hey again @JFernandes

Thanks for trying this. Sorry that this doesn't help you out with your current situation. As always we're constantly passing along feedback, so don't hesitate to reach out if you have anything else you'd like to add.

• HHCGHHCG Member Posts: 1

I want to delete an invoice for which a credit card payment has been received as it was related to another bank acocunt not anymore relevant to the organisation. How to delete as I get the error that it is not possible to delete the invoice.

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @HHCG, thanks for reaching out! You will not be able to delete an invoice that had a payment applied to it, but you do have 2 options for getting it out of Overdue!
    1. You can write the invoice off, which this Help Centre article explains.
    2. You can change the amount on the invoice to $0, this will automatically mark the invoice as paid.

I hope this helps :)

• Tutor1Tutor1 Member Posts: 1
    Morning,

New to wave! Having created first invoice last night I sent it off via email - everything seemed fine. I then went to create new invoice for a second client and was given the previous one I guess as a template to work from. I found the edit functions and changed the name of the child who had received the tutoring and also the cost per hour. Sent this off. Created two more invoices in same fashion. Upon checking the copies of the invoices that I received via email I noted that every invoice had changed to the child’s name on the last invoice I had sent out. So, Tom, Ann, Sally had all been renamed as Adam on the invoices.

I’m at a loss to figure out why this has happened and also need to be aware of any batched pricing changes that might occur as this depends on the location of the client so I wouldn’t want them to see wrong price.

Thanks in advance
    Tutor1

Hey there @Tutor1

Can you explain what your process was here when you actioned this? Typically when you click on Invoicing, it should take you to a list of all of your invoices. Here you can (and would most likely want to) add a new invoice anytime you offer a service.

Just curious, did you open up an old invoice, or did you select add a new invoice? When you select add a new invoice it should create a new one from scratch without affecting your previous ones.

We might need to know what actions you selected in your invoices page to get a better understanding of what might have happened here.

You can delete those invoices for now if you like and send new ones, or you should be able to edit invoices and this will appear as updated when the client opens up the invoice. However since you're experiencing one single invoice that updates for all of your clients I'd recommend starting from scratch.

• GDS18GDS18 Member Posts: 0

Anyone else frustrated that there is no editing ability on invoice dates? Specifically, after a customer has made a cc payment; you can not change/advance an invoice date. Before the recent Wave update you could go into transactions; delete the cc payment, go back to the invoice and add the cc payment manually. Now you are unable to delete the cc payment in transactions; thus you can't change the invoice date.Wave tech person said it was so accounting errors wouldn't occur. However, that is our responsibility IMHO.

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey @GDS18 and welcome to Wave's Community Forum! I have gone ahead and merged your comment into this thread because it seems as though the discussion is about the same topic. Once an invoice is paid through Wave, I'm afraid that the invoice is no longer editable.

This is because we have processed the payment, it is used for record keeping for the payment in compliance with our banking partner, as well as for your bookkeeping records. Essentially, your customer would have paid the invoice in accordance to the information that was on the invoice. If you were to change the details after receiving a payment, this would potentially be done outside of the agreement with your customer. I understand that you believe that you should have the ability to choose the workflow that works best, however, in this case, the compliance and record keeping requires the information to be uneditable and so on the most updated version of the platform, making these sorts of changes are not possible.

If you would like to fully explain why you need this sort of functionality, I would be happy to help you think of another way to achieve it, or pass your feedback on to our Sales Team as a feature idea.

• Gary_WGary_W Member Posts: 3

How can I add a description line or heading on an invoice without have a pricing of 0.00 show on the right in pricing column. I do creative production work and want to list the work done separate from the item category charged for the total time taken to do the listed work items?

Hey thee @Gary_W

Unfortunately you are unable to create an invoice for $0.

I tried this on my test account using the Settings > Invoice customization however you're still unable to hide the $0.00 amount.

My apologies about that!

• Druciefruits_1Druciefruits_1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I think I may have accidentally deleted an invoice I was paid for after trying to delete an invoice that had an incorrect price. Is there any way of recovering an invoice once it has been deleted?
  • EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @Druciefruits_1! I'm afraid once an invoice is deleted from Wave it is unable to be recovered. You'd have to recreate the invoice again.

• NCPACNCPAC Member Posts: 1

I'm new to Wave. After experimenting with the system creating multiple test invoices using one customer, I finally decided on one and setup an active recurring payment schedule which now shows in the active list. However, I still have multiple draft versions on the same customer in the draft list. I can't find a way to simply delete those from the draft list. Any suggestions?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @NCPAC! Unfortunately, at present, it is not possible to delete draft recurring invoices. You'll need to either start them and then immediately end them to clear them from your drafts, or leave them there until the next time you need to create a recurring invoice, at which time you could use one of your drafts as a starting point in order to give it some use.

• Pierre2020Pierre2020 Member Posts: 7

I cannot delete a draft recurring invoice. Can anyone help? No delete, nor end button available (greyed out)

• pillapilla Member Posts: 3

how can i duplicate invoices on a monthly basis to only changes the month and date of new invoice
    pilla

Hey there @Pierre2020

Unfortunately in Wave you cannot delete any draft invoice be it a recurring one or regular. You'll need to finalize it then end it. This won't be able to delete after but it won't be active anymore.

Hi @pilla

If you select the duplicate button it should create the invoice with the same products and services and price but the recent date.

• EricMEricM Member Posts: 4 ✭✭

Unfortunately, at present, it is not possible to delete draft recurring or regular invoices. What I don't get is why not? They are drafts...

• scottw9scottw9 Member Posts: 3

makes absolutely no sense to me. wave just arbitrarily does not allow the simplest obvious needs to happen and the shuts down my ability to pay invoices that customers have with C Cards they give me to run. after 14 years i'm suddenly toooooo risky. idiotic does not even begin to describe my anger on this. they never responded to what i asked either, in anger of course.

• EldoradocasthiEldoradocasthi Member Posts: 2

Why is it not possible to delete a draft "recurring invoice" ?? I have created multiple draft invoices by mistake and now I have multiples for a few customers. Why would you not have this option ? It seems like a very simple option. I do not understand why this is not possible and why would it not be possible ???? how could you not make this option available ??? so frustrating.