Switching to Wave from Quickbooks or other accounting software

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageSwitching to Wave from Quickbooks or other accounting software

Get your Wave account set up the way you like it.
If you have not already done so, complete the steps in Setting up your Wave account before switching.

Create any outstanding (unpaid) invoices an...

Read the full story here

edited January 12, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• user3749201user3749201 Member Posts: 1

You need software that automatically imports from Quickbooks Online - history and everything. What you've presented right now is NOT a solution to migrating over, it's an ugly manual hack. We hate quickbooks and want to switch to you guys (esp for payroll) but this non-automated migration adds a lot of friction to switch. Heck, we wouldn't mind paying Wave to do the migration for us.

edited January 12, 2019
  • suraniniravsuraninirav Member Posts: 1

Where is the "MORE" Button under Transactions?>????????? STEP 6!

• SoulBeSoulBe Member Posts: 5

I am moving from Xero to Wave. I have found where to enter the journal entries from the trial balance, however, if an amount is debit...what account do I credit?

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @user3749201, we are working on making this a little more streamlined. To that end we've introduced an integration with Google Sheets called Wave Connect which should help with the process. You can find out more here.

@suraninirav if you're not seeing the 'More' options in Accounting > Transactions, you can instead head over to Accounting > Journal Transactions to accomplish this instead.

@SoulBe in this case you should be crediting the account in question. So if it's your general bank/operating account, this would be what you're looking to credit.

• gregoire6gregoire6 Member Posts: 3

I am starting to use WAVE as of 1/1/2019. What dates should I run my Trial balance report through. I started the business on 1/1/2017 and have done all my entires through 12/31/2018. When I use the dates 1/1/2017 - 12/31/2018 it shows all my expense accounts and balances. When I use dates 1/1/2017 - 1/1/2019 it does not show any expense accounts, just equity, liability, bank, and credit cards. Should I use the date range 1/1/2017 - 1/1/2019

I am starting to use WAVE as of 1/1/2019. What dates should I run my Trial balance report through. I started the business on 1/1/2017 and have done all my entires through 12/31/2018. When I use the dates 1/1/2017 - 12/31/2018 it shows all my expense accounts and balances. When I use dates 1/1/2017 - 1/1/2019 it does not show any expense accounts, just equity, liability, bank, and credit cards. Should I use the date range 1/1/2017 - 1/1/2019

@samd, can you help me out here?

• kay_kay_ Member Posts: 3

"Under Accounting click the Transactions page. From here click the More button, then click on Add Journal Transaction."

...I don't see this in my account. Am I missing something?

• SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hey @kay_, when you click Accounting > Transactions, the 'More' button should show here:

Or it could show here:

@gregoire6 I'm really sorry this somehow got missed! I would recommend using the date range which is all inclusive so that you can capture all data!

• kay_kay_ Member Posts: 3

Thanks @Samd - do I have to manually add each expense or just the total trial balance as a "transferred" total?

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @kay_ , you will need to balance the Journal Transaction, this means that you will have to manually add your debits & credits. I hope this answers your question, please let me know if you need anything else. :smile:

• VRMLVRML Member Posts: 1

Can i upload a QBB file into wave?

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

Hey @VRML -- This is currently a file format that we do not support.. it could be something that we add down the road, but we currently do not have any immediate plans to make these changes any time soon.

• cozakscozaks Member Posts: 2

Would love to switch, but this is a joke to recreate everything manually? we have close to 100 open invoices at any given time, please create an automatic import tool.

edited July 15, 2019
  • SwifttomSwifttom Member Posts: 2

Is there a way to import products from quickbooks into wave. Is it possible to export from QB in a csv format and then import into wave. I noticed you can do it with clients/customers but can one do it with products ?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @cozaks . You can use Wave Connect to upload a list of invoices at the same time.

Hi @Swifttom . I'm not familiar with the QB export function, but you can import a list of Products into Wave through Wave Connect.

• SwifttomSwifttom Member Posts: 2

Hi @alexlewiszarkos. is there a template to use when creating it in wave connect

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,156 admin

@Swifttom There isn't a specific template to use when importing your data through Wave Connect, however, when you are setting up the file, you are able to add specific columns that would be catered to your products & services that are being imported.

• UK01teamUK01team Member Posts: 1

No one followed up on my original request titled: "Moving from Quickbooks Online" Link to my request: https://accounting.waveapps.com/dashboard/business/6335666/#/
    The articles sent did not help.
    William Snapp

edited September 17, 2019
  • ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@UK01team It looks like one of our Support Heroes got back to you on Friday! Happy to dig into this with you though. Where do you get stuck in the process of moving to Wave?

Please let me know as many details as possible about your workflow so we can look into where the issue arises. Looking forward to getting this resolved!

• WaveNewbWaveNewb Member Posts: 1

When Adding Journal Transaction, why am I only offered Accounts Receivable and Cash on Hand for Assets. How do I add other assets such as Bank Accounts and Equipment from my QB trial balance? Same with missing Equity accounts as well as Accumulated Depreciation. Why is the selection so limited? Am I missing something?

Solution (thanks to chat support) is to go into the Chart of Accounts and "Add Account"

edited September 24, 2019
  • Serinaid93Serinaid93 Member Posts: 1

Wave says it can import other accounting software but it only mentions Quickbooks. Can it import Sage 50 Canadian Edition?
    Thank you

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @Serinaid93! Wave can import data from most other accounting softwares! When you do a data export from your current accounting software what file type is your data exported into? Depending on what it is, you should be able to upload this data into Wave using Wave Connect or our CSV uploader.

• Andrea_SWAndrea_SW Member Posts: 2

Hi, Does it matter if the Trial Balance you run in Quickbooks is on cash or accrual basis?

• QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

@Andrea_SW Thanks for the question! Are you wondering if the Quickbooks reporting models are compatible with Wave's? The Accrual and Cash Basis options on the reports basically reflect whether you want unpaid invoices/bills to reflect in your reports. In the accrual reports, invoices and bills that were created but not paid yet are assumed as future income/expenses and thus will reflect in the reports. It is really just a matter of preference for the user. Does that answer your question? Feel free to go into more detail if I missed anything :smile:

• Andrea_SWAndrea_SW Member Posts: 2

Thank you. That answers my question.

• CiprianCiprian Member Posts: 1

Can I use Wave Connect to upload the entire list of transactions from QuickBooks, once the equivalent Chart of Accounts is setup?

• NicoletteBNicoletteB Member Posts: 122 ✭✭

@Ciprian yup! Wave Connect is our preferred method of doing bulk uploads in Wave. One thing is that you can't upload which account the transaction is going to so that will need to be done after the upload.

• SvPSvP Member Posts: 5

I am transferring from another accounting software to Wave.
    I have the trial balance from my old accounting application as an Excel spreadsheet in front of me.
    Now I am trying to enter each balance one by one.
    How do I enter a Journal Transaction? For example, if I enter the Equipment Balance of lets say $1000, how do I do that with keeping the balances equal?
    Can someone respond with a step-by-step explanation?

edited September 5, 2020
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @SvP , follow the steps in the following article to help you set up a Starting Balance: https://support.waveapps.com/hc/en-us/articles/208622796-Starting-balances-What-they-are-and-how-to-enter-them-in-Wave

If you have any other questions in the future, try checking our Help Center as it tends to have a lot of content on how to go about different actions.