How do I issue a refund?

Comments

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @thegophers24

I see one of our agents was able to get your payment voided and taken care of. Glad to hear you got it sorted through tickets!

@Athena

Sounds like you might be a Stripe user not based in North America. If you see credit card payments this will take you to your Stripe Dashboard where you'll be able to select the payment and refund it there. I think this article on Stripe Refunds Might be able to help!

• AthenaAthena Member Posts: 2

Thanks @BarsinA - Im definitely not in NA - in Australia. Ive never seen or used Stripe as far as I am aware though. I dont accept CC payments either. Any other ideas?

Hey there, @thegophers24

I see that one of our agents has already taken care of this refund! Glad you could get that sorted over chat.

@Athena I also see that John directed you to a Stripe refund under credit card payments since your a non-North American User. You can for more info about stripe by Selecting this link here. Let us know if you have further questions!

Hey @Athena

Forgive me if we misunderstood. Sounds like you're just looking to categorize a refund that was not made with a credit card. If that's the case try following the steps below!

• Create a refund expense transaction (or find the expense on your list of transaction if your bank connection automatically imported one).
    • Choose the category, as a refund for invoice
    • In that drop down you can link the expense transaction to the invoice you initially created for said client.

Hope this helps. Let me know!

• mwphotographymwphotography Member Posts: 3

How much will be taken out of my bank account if I issue a refund? For example, if I charge my client $100 and the Wave fee is $3.20 (2.9% + .30), that would mean $96.80 would be deposited into my bank account. Would the same $96.80 be taken back out for the refund, or would it be more?

• LORELORE Member Posts: 2

hmm, there is no payments option under sales. There is credit card payment but that just takes me to my stripe account and I can't find anywhere how to issue a refund.
    I am always baffled by how these help pages never get their own information correct.
    Very frustrating

• JordanDJordanD Member Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@mwphotography Your math is correct! Since there are no additional fees added for refunds, when you initiate one, we will take the amount that was deposited initially and Wave will add the processing fee, to add to the total amount that the customer paid. In the event of a partial refund, we will debit your bank account for the amount less fees and then Wave will provide the amount for the associated fee to equal the appropriate amount to be refunded to your customer.

@LORE if you are seeing the "Credit Card Payments" option under the "Sales" tab, this is because you are outside of the regions that Wave can support payment processing in. This means that you process your payments through Stripe (our payment processing partner for areas that we cannot support). In these cases, you can reach out to their support team directly, and they should be able to help you with the refund. As a note, some transactions are unable to refunded on the user's end because of the age of the payment or because of the size of it.

• JoePhillyJoePhilly Member Posts: 1
    Trying to complete a refund and it says it doesn’t work and that I need to contact someone here???
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @JoePhilly . To get this done as quick as possible, please reach out through live chat in your account, which is available to you from 9-5 EST, Monday-Friday.

• AndieBAMAndieBAM Member Posts: 1

Is there a way to recored a refund on an invoice payed with cash?

• SILCSILC Member Posts: 1

I had to give a refund on an invoice I had issued that had been paid. I followed the instructions given and chose the 'refund an invoice issued through wave' and the transaction shows that the money was deducted. BUT the invoice is showing on my dashboard as an unpaid invoice, although when I click on it, it does show the date paid and the date the refund was issued with both credits and debits. Have I missed out a step somewhere?

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @AndieBAM! Definitely! All you'd need to do is create an income transaction for the amount that was refunded, and then categorize it as 'Refund for an invoice issued through Wave', selecting that appropriate invoice from the list.

@SILC This is definitely a bit of a tricky one. Since you're no longer expected payment on that invoice, you're actually going to need to write it off. Check out this solid Help Center article here to figure out the best way to do so!

• Vince_BoydVince_Boyd Member Posts: 2

Looking on how to issue a cash refund. Not a collected credit card payment refund.

• KSC_Athletics20KSC_Athletics20 Member Posts: 1

I issued a refund to a client and it has been 10 days since I have completed the refund process. The client still hasn't received their funds and it shows unpaid on my side.

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi @Vince_Boyd! It sounds as though you want to show a refund in your Wave account? If so, locate the transaction on your Transactions page in Wave and then select the 'category' section. Here you should view different options for refunds you can apply to show that a refund has been given or received!

Hey @KSC_Athletics20! I see you've since been in touch with our Support team to sort this out!

• EddieJenningsEddieJennings Member Posts: 7

I cannot understand why the below situation is true.
    Inovice A was generated on 3/6/2020, paid by credit card on 3/9, and paid out to my bank on 3/11.
    Invoice B was generated on 3/9/2002, paid by credit card on 3/9, and paid out to my bank on 3/11.
    When I view Invoice A's payment, I do not have an option to refund. When I view Invoice B's payment, I both had the option and was able to successfully submit a refund for Inovice B. Why would I not be able to refund invoice A through Wave?

• EddieJenningsEddieJennings Member Posts: 7

It appears I needed to be more patient. I am now able to refund Invoice A. I suppose the question now is, for the future, is it normal to need to wait up to a week to be able to issue a refund for a credit card payment processed by Wave?

• fastbikefastbike Member Posts: 4

There is no Payments option under the Sales menu on the left. Something is missing here in these instructions.

• fastbikefastbike Member Posts: 4

Found the refund functionality in the Stripe payment gateway - all good now.

Hey @EddieJennings! That's actually pretty normal - sometimes there are particular security hoops that we need to jump through in order to ensure that issuing a refund on an invoice would be possible. If you encounter that error again, please feel free to reach out to the support team in a ticket!

@fastbike Great to hear! Thanks for letting us know!

• Daryl_76Daryl_76 Member Posts: 4

There is no Payments option under the Sales menu on the left.

• QaisEQaisE Member Posts: 72 admin

@Daryl_76 You would not see a Payments option under the Sales menu if you are a Stripe user not based in North America. If you see credit card payments this will take you to your Stripe Dashboard where you'll be able to select the payment and refund it there. I think this article on Stripe Refunds might be able to help you here!

• Vince_BoydVince_Boyd Member Posts: 2

I had to issue a credit card refund through Wave. How long till I see Wave pull it from my bank account? or do I run a balance with Wave until I get paid from someone else?

edited March 31, 2020

Hey @Vince_Boyd! Wave will immediately try to pull the funds from your account, but depending on who you're banking with, it may be a couple days before you see these reflect in your balance or on a bank statement.

• TreasurerCMHATreasurerCMHA Member Posts: 3

It would be good if this article could be expanded to cover all types of refunds - i.e., bill refunds and invoice refunds as well as the credit card refund mentioned here.

Hey @TreasurerCMHA! That's a really fair point! Thanks for the feedback here, and I'll be sure to pass it along to the team who manages this article.

• Fiji_Laura7Fiji_Laura7 Member Posts: 2

How do I adjust the invoice for a client who has only paid a (non-refundable) deposit in a past tax year for a future wedding that has now been cancelled due to Covid-19? My accountant says I cannot issue a credit on the invoice since it's a past tax year, but I must issue a credit note on the date of cancellation and then apply it to the old invoice. I can't figure how to get this to work. Could you please advise?

Hey there @Fiji_Laura7

Unfortunately in Wave there is no current way to offer credit notes at this time. My apologies about this. Are you planning on re-invoicing them for the future? Is this why you wanted a credit note? If you do decide to re-invoice them you could add a negative amount to the future invoice to show a discount as this is a current temporary workaround as "credit" on an invoice. Hopefully this helps!

• Fiji_Laura7Fiji_Laura7 Member Posts: 2

I have had to create a negative invoice, but there will be no future work from that client (since I'm a wedding photographer!). Do I just have to look at those unpaid invoices indefinitely or is there a way to join the invoices so they cancel out?

• AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

HI @Fiji_Laura7 , you can use the following Help Center article to write off an invoice.