Uploading your receipt for accounting purposes

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageUploading your receipt for accounting purposes

Once you've snapped a photo of, processed, and reviewed your receipt, the final step is to upload it to your Wave account so that your books are all in order. This article will explain what that me...

Read the full story here

edited May 17, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• biz4artbiz4art Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to upload a receipt and post it to an existing transaction? That is, without creating a new, redundant transaction? I have a bunch of transactions in Wave, and I'd like to attach/post the approriate receipt to each one.
  • cjbirch80cjbirch80 Member Posts: 4
    I do a receipt merge. You can take a bill or receipt and enter it. The account may be wrong but phone options are limited you can change later . You review and post the receipt. Once online in transactions. It will show along with other entries from your bank. If dates are close you can find the dollar amounts and dates. From here you can change accounts and stuff easier on your receipt and your bank post. Then you can merge. Not sure if you select the receipt one first or have clicked on the recent for side windows of details... it helps to zoom out on your browser itll show more entries and your eyes and mind can take in more to find matches. anyhow once both selected you click merge at the top. Search bar for transactions. Now the receipt or bill is accessible to that transaction.

It's a beautiful system
    I've much to learn but this is doable compared to my old ways.10:46PM
    cjbirch80
    I've asked for them to include transaction total sorting ascending or descending. That way despite date differences...and different names... you can find duplicates(bill or receipt or errors) simply by their dollar amounts being identical. merge or delete at will.10:51PM
  • SamdSamd Member Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Perfect workflow @cjbirch80 ! We're looking to streamline this with the ability to attach items directly to transactions as well.

• greenwavegreenwave Member Posts: 3

I am new to Wave and find receipt and transaction sections confusing. It seems like a 2 step process when in quickbooks its one step. I can not add receipts directly to an asset account. The 2 sections have different accounts associated with the same receipt.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Member Posts: 261 ✭✭

@greenwave Ah! The Receipts uploader is connected to the Transactions page. When you upload a receipt through Purchases > Receipts, you can choose which account the Receipt posts to and you will see the corresponding transaction in your Transactions page. Does that help clarify things?

• greenwavegreenwave Member Posts: 3
    the problem is you can not post a receipt to an asset account.
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hey @greenwave . You can post a receipt to a Cash & Bank account listed under Assets. Where specifically are you trying to post the receipt to?

• CoolshaktiCoolshakti Member Posts: 1
    Why am I unable to add anything to payment account and category

hey @Coolshakti . Can you give me some more info on exactly what you're having trouble with? Are you receiving error messages?

Screenshots would be good too!

• MicheleMMicheleM Member Posts: 2

where do you click to upload a receipt once you are in the app?

• EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @MicheleM! There is a camera icon you can click in the receipts app to take a photo of the receipt and upload it! Once you have captured the receipt image you can click into the receipt, enter the data and then click 'post to accounting'. This Wave guide on Wave Receipts for iOS/Android has some great details!

• MicheleMMicheleM Member Posts: 2

Thanks, I got that, but was trying to upload digital receipts saved on my laptop

• BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @MicheleM

Thanks for the further clarification. Not sure what kind of phone model you have but when you select the camera button there is a way for you to upload photos from your camera roll.

So as long as your images are in your camera roll you should be able to upload. This image above was taken from the iPhone version.

• L_WingyL_Wingy Member Posts: 1
    I uploaded my receipts on ‘Wave Receipts’ and they’ve finished processing. How do I download them/view them/add to an invoice on this Wave app??
  • LilianaLiliana Member Posts: 8

When you are reviewing the receipts and in the app is asking you total and subtotal and taxes, do you record it as total or do you split the taxes and the subtotal?

• LaurenMLaurenM Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I'm using Receipts for the first time.

My credit card (liability account) is not even shown in the options to assign to the receipt, despite that it is my most important credit card (and is definitely in my Wave account) .

I also don't see the category to enter, which is also definitely in my categories.

Please help.

If the Receipts app doesn't work, I'm fine with that. I've been entering receipts manually for years. But if it doesn't pull in all of the accounts in my Chart of Accounts in my Wave account nor categories, then I'm confused and frustrated.

Hey @L_Wingy . Receipts are used to track your business expenses as they create corresponding expense transactions in your Transactions page. What did you want to upload them to your invoices for?

@Liliana The subtotal is the total amount before tax. This field actually isn't mandatory is the total and tax fields are more important, but you can add this field as well if you'd like.

@LaurenM Can you try logging out and logging back in, Lauren? The receipts app should pick up all of your accounts, but I'm wondering if maybe they're rather new that it hasn't sync'd properly.

• BuddyBuddy Member Posts: 1

New to this. After I've uploaded a receipt and verified all the info, when I choose Post to Accounting I understand that it will record as a transaction within my bookkeeping. My question is, if I am also linking my credit card account (the card I used to get that same receipt), will it double post the transaction in my bookkeeping or will it automatically link the two posts as one single transaction that has the receipt image attached? Thanks for your help!

• EssieEssie Member Posts: 2

Hi there! Can we only upload receipts via the app? Can we not upload via the website as well? it would be great to have this feature for external invoices that are emailed to myself as well as the receipts app!

• handyandycohandyandyco Member Posts: 4
    I’m having an issue with the receipt app. Worked fine before but now when I fill in details and then hit post to account it says you have successfully done so but then the screen stays on that message and you have to close app to do anything else. I’ve tried deleting and reloading app but that has not sorted the issue either. Works fine on web but not on app.
    Please help.
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey @Essie

We have a few different methods of uploading receipts, one of them being on the web version of Waveapps.com If you head to Purchases > Receipts > You should be able to upload receipts here. Currently we don't have a way to attach images to transactions, however this is something our team has been discussing for some time.

Check out this article on the different methods to upload receipts in Wave

@handyandyco My apologies you're experiencing this issue!

• Try closing and re-launching the app.
    • Log out and back into the app.
    • Check to make sure that you're connected to a cellular data or WiFi network.
    • Ensure that you've turned on permissions from the settings menu of your device.
    • Restart your device.
    • Make sure your operating system is completely up to date
    Have done all the above and still hasn’t sorted the issue out Bryant’s why I contacted you
    I can send you a screen shot of the message that doesn’t disappear after I’ve ride posting
  • BuddleBuddle Member Posts: 1

HELP! I have tried to Review a photo of a receipt, but when it comes to "Payment Account" it will not bring up any options, and the same for "Category".
    For this reason it will not Post to Accounting.

I have tried to find where to add Payment Accounts and Categories, but can't find.

PLEASE HELP. AM GOING CRAZY!

Hey @handyandyco , please feel free to post the image of you screen here.

Hi @Buddle . Is this being done on the online site or the mobile app? If it is the mobile app, sometimes these don't sync simultaenously and logging out and then logging back in should help.

If you're in need of more payments accounts and categories, you can do this under Accounting > Chart of Accounts in the online platform.

• CeelabbCeelabb Member Posts: 8

hi
    should i only upload receipts from cash purchases.
    my logic is this will avoid me having to merge all my receipts with my transactions if i only upload cash ones.

• KBatZDMKBatZDM Member Posts: 1

How do I attach a receipt to a particular purchase? I created and paid the purchase and then uploaded the receipt. However, the system wanted to treat it as a new purchase, which I deleted. I now have a paid purchased and a receipt, but no way of connecting them. Methinks I must be missing something. Thanks.

• ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @KBatZDM! Unfortunately, at present, this is not something that can be done within Wave. When you upload a receipt in Wave, there will be an automatic expense transaction created from that action.

• Technowhiz_1Technowhiz_1 Member Posts: 7
    I looked in the help files....didn't bother to read the first nudge messages...I deleted the App off my iphone...lost five months of receipts.

I looked through the help files for "sync".... No results
    ..PLEASE...put an explanation saying "log out THEN login again!" so people like me don't get frustrated and delete receipts!