Guide to receipts by Wave (iOS/Android)

SystemSystem Posts: 412 admin

imageGuide to receipts by Wave (iOS/Android)

Tracking your receipts allows you to see where your money is going and will ease headaches at tax time.  
Please note that if you don't already have a Wave account, you will need to create you will...

Read the full story here

edited July 26, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• JanineJanine Member Posts: 4

Hi there
    what happens if I have personal and business expenses on one receipt? Marked by hand

• ZoeCZoeC Member Posts: 388 admin

Hey @Janine, thanks for reaching out! In that case I recommend splitting the transaction and categorizing the personal expenses as a Personal Expense or Withdrawal, this will give you the option to select the equity account Owner Investment/Drawing. Once that's done you can head over to your personal account and add a journal transaction that debits the appropriate expense account and credits Owner Investment/Drawing. The expenses will now be reflected on your books as personal and will not contribute to your business expenses.

• Nathdesj_01Nathdesj_01 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry Zoe, I really don’t understand what your answer says!!... Would it be possible to post an example with screen shoots? Thank you!!
  • BarsinBarsin Member, Moderator Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hey there @Nathdesj_01

This would need to be done on your web version of the app by logging into www.waveapps.com.

You can do a lot more manual accounting in this version of the software. See my images below!

• Brit_RichBrit_Rich Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to photograph multi page receipts? For example a receipt from a supermarket can be very long and it’s simply not practical to capture everything in a single photo. In the UK supermarkets such as Tesco, Asda, Morrison’s can easily produce a receipt 1 to 2 feet long. Sainsbury’s supermarket now print their receipts on both sides to save paper.

Or an A4 sized receipt from a Cash ‘n Carry could be across several pages.

How can we capture these forms of receipt using the mobile app or is there a way around this?
  • handyandycohandyandyco Member Posts: 4
    A question. I have the search facility on the app version of receipts. Which is great but how does it search through all my receipts? As it only shows a few in the done box. Is this facility on the main waves website to search older receipts? As I thought I could bypass it by searching on the phone but not all receipts are showing to be searched.
  • EmmaPEmmaP Member Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey @Brit_Rich thanks for reaching out here, and an interesting point you raise! At the moment there isn't a way to upload a multi-page receipt. I have not seen two-sided receipts yet (yay for saving paper), but I know that receipts can get pretty long! While we do not an option to accommodate this yet, there is a workaround. Take two photos of the receipt on your app and upload them. You can then delete one of the transactions created for the receipt on your Transactions page. Head back to: Purchases > Receipts > click on the receipt > click 'View original receipt' > copy & paste the URL > add it to the 'Notes' field of the remaining transaction. It is a bit of a workaround but this will ensure that the receipt images are attached to one transaction.

Hi @handyandyco! If there are only a few in the 'Done' box, it might mean there are receipts that need to be reviewed on your app! All receipts should show under one of three statuses: processing, ready/review & done. You can read more about receipt statuses here.

• tjmachadotjmachado Member Posts: 2

Can we just upload the receipt to a transaction as a record for tax purposes and avoid the whole interpreting part?

• GarthHoriganGarthHorigan Member Posts: 3

I do have a Wave account but I cannot find how to get the Receipts App. It is definitely not on Android Play Store (although it is on Apple store!) The link that is provided to the Android Play store returns "We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server." If I request a copy of the app and enter my account details, it just opens my account on the web!

• RonnieAVKRonnieAVK Member Posts: 2
    But i can only find the Wave invoicing app in android, not a receipts app
  • AlexLAlexL Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Hi @tjmachado . When the receipt is uploaded, it will automatically create a corresponding transaction, so you can't directly upload it to a pre-existing transaction. What you can do is merge the two transactions together however, and the link to the receipt should remain.

@GarthHorigan @RonnieAVK We're aware that the Android app is missing from the Play Store and we're working on returning it. In the meantime, feel free to use the web app OR email your receipts to your account.

• RonnieAVKRonnieAVK Member Posts: 2
    @AlexL what is the webb app. All i see is the Wave Invoicing app. I am trying to avoid scanning every receipt in with my laptop and computer and then putting the scan into the wave program.
  • ConnorMConnorM Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hey @RonnieAVK, the web app that Alex was referring to is the online version of the Wave program, within your web browser.

• L12213L12213 Member Posts: 1

Hi this might sound like a silly question, but what goes into my Merchant window when entering data for an uploaded receipt? I'm uncertain about the term and what information goes there. It's my first time record keeping on my own.

• ICOSICOS Member Posts: 3

Related to @L12213 below, I assumed Merchant would be the vendor who issued the Receipt. Once the receipt goes into Transactions however, the Merchant field is mapped to Description, a field I would like to use to describe the items purchased. There is an option to Add Vendor to a transaction which I would also like to use but it’s not being populated from Receipts. This seems inexplicable and for me, the Wave Receipts app doesn’t eliminate the need for manual entry like it promises.

• GBOT_DonnaGBOT_Donna Member Posts: 1
    Any news on when the Android receipts app will be back on line?
  • thenewbreedthenewbreed Member Posts: 1

I cannot locate the Android Wave Receipt app... where can I find it?

• geordiedrummageordiedrumma Member Posts: 18

I log in and have an account on Wave through my RBC business account. I have downloaded the app but can't login as I was never given a password with my wave account. I've tried my online banking password but this doesn't work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hey @geordiedrumma! I've sent you a password creation email that'll let you get logged into the app :) Thanks for reaching out!

• FionagirlieFionagirlie Member Posts: 1

I have had receipts for some time is et up, logged in etc however it says offline. I’m hesitant to just go ahead and use it if it isn’t going to store/save. Any tips as to what I do from here?

• NikiMNikiM Member Posts: 1
    When I go to take a photo of a receipt and then take another phone without checking the upper right corner does it keep both photos as one receipt or keep each photo as a separate receipt or keep only the last photo taken? Trying to take multiple receipt photos back to back and I'm unsure if I need to hit the check mark in between each one and then open the camera again.
  • nick37nick37 Member Posts: 2

is it possible to search a receipt / transactions using the notes?

for example I created a category called "stocks" which I use for all my stocks transactions. I then would like to search when and at what price I bought a certain stock which I wrote in detail in the notes section.

can I search based on what I write in the notes section??

Hey @Fionagirlie! Are you currently connected to the internet when it's showing you as offline? You may want to check your device's permissions to see if you've allowed the Receipts app to connect to your network. Also, triple check to make sure that you're on the most up-to-date version!

Hey @NikiM! Can you send a screenshot of what that looks like on your screen? You should be able to upload multiple receipts photos at once within the app, but I'd love to triple check that with you.

Hey @nick37, unfortunately that is not currently possible within the app. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

• nick37nick37 Member Posts: 2

@ConnorM , thank you for your reply.
    But just to clarify, I was searching through the desktop web and not the phone app.

Hey @nick37, thanks for specifying! Sorry to double down on the bad news, but it's not currently possible within the desktop software either.

• KRLuckKRLuck Member Posts: 3
    The majority of receipts in my app just sit with a status of “queued”, which you don’t mention. Often stays offline but with no way to tell it to go online even though the phone’s connected to the internet and other apps are communicating ok.

Hey @KRLuck! Thanks for reaching out here. That's definitely a bit of a tricky one! How many receipts are you attempting to upload at a time? Could you send a screenshot of those queued receipts for us to take a look at?

• NemikloicheNemikloiche Member Posts: 1

Hello, I have three hopefully easy questions. (1). I upload a receipt, I understand a transaction will be created with data from the receipt. When I import transactions from my financial institutions into Wave, do you have any matching algorithm to auto-associate or merge the receipt transaction to a matching bank transactions? Or must this be done manually? Is there any report or similar to look for possible duplicate transactions that were missed and not merged? (2) Is the image of the receipt retained or just the OCR data? (3). If the image is retained, is it retained forever? Is there any limits on the number of receipts (or overall size limit) that you can store? I really want to scan the receipt, upload it, and not have to keep a copy of the image elsewhere or the paper version. Much thanks.

Hey there @Nemikloiche Thanks for your thorough questions in our community!

I've answered them below in numbered format.

1. This must be done manually. We don't have an algorithm that does this. There is no report for duplicates, but you can search for the amount in the search bar on your transactions page.
    2. The image will be retained in your transaction merge! Be sure to select the bank import first, then the receipt and you should still see the image in that transaction!
    3. It should be retained for as long as your account exists! If you receive an error for uploading your receipt you will want to try it again and make sure that the image you're uploading is in proper format

Hope this helps!